PDA

View Full Version : New Ridgid MS anyone?

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 11:47 AM
The ravages of "old age" are starting to take their tole. In this case, my eyes just ain't what they used to be and, even with the aid of bi-focal safety glasses, that little pencil line is getting tough to see over at the MS station. So, with the new laser technology out there, I'm seriously considering a MS with one of those laser indicators. HD still has their Ridgid line with the "Lifetime Waranty" valid until the end of the month and their MS has the laser guide. Anybody have one? Like it? Yes/no? Also, if so, what's the accuracy like on it? I've heard some pretty good stuff on the Delta/PC unit w/the double line and the Hitachi is the Caddy, but the lifetime waranty is appealing, plus the "no interest" thing on the HD plastic is tempting. Any insights? :cool:

Walt Pater
01-25-2004, 3:31 PM
John, it seems like you are already leaning towards the Ridgid, but if you want to research more MS's, go to amazon.com, and click on "saws" in their tool section. Each saw advertised will have both "editorial" and "customer" reviews (unfortunately, they don't offer Ridgid). As for laser guides, there is an aftermarket laser add-on to fit any saw- I just saw it at the WW show in MA. I myself don't like the things, but some (salespeople) have been pretty enthusiastic about them. I'm yet to encounter a day-to-day WW'er who uses them (but I don't get out much). Have you considered an additional light by the saw, like a clamp-on adjustable gooseneck light? Might help, and is cheaper than a new saw.
Brand-wise, I've used a few. I still use my old 10" Delta fixed-base MS for tight spots (like 3rd floor balconies). It's a fine saw with the right blade (never buy a thin-kerf anything). The Cabinetmaker I used to work for liked Hitachi (not the 12"). Dewalt is now making a 8.5", and their 12"SCMS is a fine tool, but big. I use the Bosch 3915 10" SCMS, and like it. It's accurate, stays that way, and has a neat little clip that you can hook so that you ride above the pre-sets. I know that this isn't the place to drool over chop-saws (apparently once you get a nice TS you get to dis on the MS), but if you are going to be re-doing all the trim in your newly purchased home, you're going to need a nice MS, and probably a slider since your baseboard is 6+" high, and you probably don't want to have to miter-cut a 15' piece of baseboard on a TS.
Finally, if you can, avoid the "Biggest and Bestest" mentality out there-everybody seems to be offering a baddass 12" dual-bevel slider, which is a lot of stick to tote around-even if it's just from one floor to another. Most saws will allow you to adjust the bevel from -2 to 48*, which is all the back bevel/bevel I've ever needed. I don't know if you have any rafter work planned for your new house, but unless you plan to go at some 2X12's and start replacing stringers, I wouldn't get a 12" saw. Hope this helps. I've never used anything Ridgid has made-I live in a spot (fortunately) where the HD is too far away to get to conveniently. Walt.

Bob Reilly
01-25-2004, 3:39 PM
[

HD still has their Ridgid line with the "Lifetime Waranty" valid until the end of the month and their MS has the laser guide.

John,just be aware that warranty your talking about is the life of the tool,and Ridgid determines what that is.

Dave Hammelef
01-25-2004, 4:00 PM
[

HD still has their Ridgid line with the "Lifetime Waranty" valid until the end of the month and their MS has the laser guide.

John,just be aware that warranty your talking about is the life of the tool,and Ridgid determines what that is.

Man I thought this issue was cleared up Long time ago. The offer is for the OWNERS lifetime, was to end Dec 31 but due to some distribution issues (couldn't get the product everywhere in time). Hey extended it untill Jan 31.

Keep your reciept ANY THING goes bad (INCLUDING BATTERIES NOT HOLDING A CHARGE on cordless tools) and Ridgid (NOT HD) will repair or replace it. NO IF ANDS OR BUTTS.

Bart Leetch
01-25-2004, 4:15 PM
John

I have the very same problem & have overcome it with a clamp on light on each side of my Miter-Saw & Drill-Press & one I use at the Lathe I also have a multi-purpose stand ie. strong enough to use for mounting my lathe banjo on & use for out board turning & also for long board support for the CMS, the other day I drilled a 1/2" hole in it to put the lathe light into so I can set it anywhere I might need extra light. I also have lights on each Band-saw & my Grinders along with 2 4" 4 tube lights & 6 4' 2 tube lights in the ceiling all these lights in a 13'5" x 24'5" room with no windows & only 1 36" entry door.
I usually bore a 1/2" hole in some 2x & screw it down & put the base of the light into it, instead of using the little plastic clamp on base.

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 4:39 PM
I'd be more inclined to buy the PC/Delta dual laser unit if I were going that route. The Hitachi slider also is available with the nice red light. But frankly, I don't make critical cuts at the CMS anyway...they get done at the table saw using a sled or an aftermarket miter guage. (Incra in my case)

Ron McNeil
01-25-2004, 5:31 PM
John, I purchased the Ridgid MS1250LZ 12" compound Miter Saw with Exactline Laser system. The saw is very sturdy and it comes with a very nice stand to attach the saw too. It also, comes with a dust bag, left extension table, and workpiece clamp. all part of the cost not extra like the Dewalt. I for one like this saw very much. The laser is nice but it does have one problem. The exactline lasor is a sigle laser and it attaches to the saw by removing the outer blade collar of the saw and using the laser in its place so what happens is the laser is about 1/16th off your mark so if I want a board to be 16" long I have to measure 1/16th more line the laser up on the mark and cut. The cut will then be exact. You cannot adjust it exacthly. I do not find this a problem. I think the saw is very well made. I do not regret buying it at all.

Gene Collison
01-25-2004, 7:25 PM
The ravages of "old age" are starting to take their tole. In this case, my eyes just ain't what they used to be and, even with the aid of bi-focal safety glasses, that little pencil line is getting tough to see over at the MS station. So, with the new laser technology out there, I'm seriously considering a MS with one of those laser indicators. HD still has their Ridgid line with the "Lifetime Waranty" valid until the end of the month and their MS has the laser guide. Anybody have one? Like it? Yes/no? Also, if so, what's the accuracy like on it? I've heard some pretty good stuff on the Delta/PC unit w/the double line and the Hitachi is the Caddy, but the lifetime waranty is appealing, plus the "no interest" thing on the HD plastic is tempting. Any insights? :cool:

John,

Let me tell you a little story on a Ridgid lifetime warranty experience that I had. A couple years ago I bought a Ridgid radial arm saw on closeout from HD. After about 6 months of usage the slide developed excess play due to worn out bearings. I returned to HD to make a warranty claim to get the bearings replaced, the part number was no longer in the computer consequently they said they could do nothing for me because it was a discontinued item and as far as they were concerned they could not even identify what I was talking about. Luckily I happened to know that the saw was made by Emerson and I went around HD to get the parts. The Ridgid line that they are now selling is made by several manufacturers from the pacific rim as well as Germany and maybe more. And most likely the same thing will happen to those tools that happened to me. They will change vendors or discontinue it. I consequently don't have very much faith in their lifetime warranty. This is just an experience that I had, YMMV though.
Incidently, I use a Hitachi 10 FSH slider with laser and love it. I can bisect a pencil line with it every time. One of the best tools I have ever purchased. I would strongly recommend a slider instead of a CMS with a very limited cut capacity, it's worth the extra money. I used to own a Incra 2000 miter guage that I could not get to repeat or hold its calibration. I clamped a dial indicator on it only to find out it flexed all over the place. Besides that problem that you can't cut picture frames with the 2000 from chair molding because it is a major operation to switch to the other side of the saw and it will only cut a 45 in one direction. Highly overated item!! This is more than what you asked for I know.

Gene

John Shuk
01-25-2004, 8:10 PM
WOOD just did a comparison on SCMS. I have to say that I think Rigid is making nice tools. They are well thought out and ergonomic without skimping for the most part. I have the jointer and really like it.

JayStPeter
01-25-2004, 9:36 PM
Many of the mags have done reviews of MSs lately. I have read them with interest since I'm surviving with a $99 Delta that doesn't lock down real well. They all seem to like the Delta better than any of the other laser saws. Of the 3 types of lasers they looked at (deltas twin laser, someone has an outboard mounted adjustable, and the Ridgid/Craftsman/Ryobi non adjustable), they loked the deltas laser the best. The one on the Ridgid was rated last of the 3 types. It doesn't adjust to actually laze the kerf. As was mentioned, it is 1/16 from it and only on 1 side.
I'm considering getting the Makita slider and a laserkerf (laserkerf.com). It looks pretty slick and has gotten some good reviews from the forums on both the Makita and Dewalt slider.

Jay

Dave Hammelef
01-25-2004, 10:07 PM
John,

Let me tell you a little story on a Ridgid lifetime warranty .....I returned to HD to make a warranty claim... I happened to know that the saw was made by Emerson and I went around HD to get the parts. The Ridgid line that they are now selling is made by several manufacturers from the pacific rim as well as Germany and maybe more. And most likely the same thing will happen to those tools that happened to me. .....Gene

1st This is the first time they have offered this lifetime warrenty, and yes HD is not Ridgid, just have exclusive sales of them. Need parts, Ridgidparts.com . Or call ridgid and they will direct you to the nearest authorized service center WHICH WILL NOT BE A HD. HD does on occasion exchange broken/damaged tools but it is as a customer service thing not a warrenty thing.

John Weber
01-25-2004, 10:41 PM
John,

You better get it, Becker is getting ahead of you with the Stubby :-) I love a good tool race. Anyway, I kind of like the PC/Delta as well, no surprise, but I've played with it at Lowes, and saw Norm use it this morning. But I'll stick with my Milwaukee and Forrest Chopmaster - the first major tool and a Birthday gift from my wife who lugged it to the attic to hide it. Gotta love good women.

John

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 11:24 PM
John,

You better get it, Becker is getting ahead of you with the Stubby :-) I love a good tool race. Anyway, I kind of like the PC/Delta as well, no surprise, but I've played with it at Lowes, and saw Norm use it this morning.

I'm leaning a bit more toward the PC/Delta anyhow. I just don't care for the idea of that spinning blade next to my nose while I try to single-handedly shove stock around! As for the "tool race", I would've conceeded a LONG, long time ago to Jim! Just no catchin' that guy! I'll grant him this, too: He knows how to use the things he buys and we've all seen the output. I need a LOT of catchin' up in that area, too! :rolleyes:

BUT, just in case I'm still in the runnin', did I mention the Festool TDD drill I received last Wed. or Thurs.? Sweet! I ordered it with the eccentric chuck for my choice of add-ins, figuring it would get me closer to the walls of different projects. Man, in real life, it's even better than what it looks like in the catalog! Very comfortable tool in use. Well balanced and the motor sounds like a *real* motor! Just another 1st class Festool product! :cool:

John Weber
01-26-2004, 12:11 AM
See I knew you were holding out. I don't think anyone can catch Jim,unless we recruit a couple Felder guys, but lets see, he is at about one a month, what will February hold (just kidding Jim) :-) Anyway, John you must be a member of the Festool frequent purchaser club. Congrats on your new toy.

John