PDA

View Full Version : HI and a little info on Norm

Ray Klear
08-15-2007, 9:31 PM
I thought I would make this my first post. I have been doing cabinet work for 45 years. Mostly alone so I'm not inclined to do much talking and mostly lurk here. Anyway I ran across this article on "Norm" and thought it might be of interest since it reveals (at least to me) a few things I did not know.

I hope this is legal :)

http://www.designnews.com/article/CA6465872.html?industryid=43654

"snip"

Norm is actually an engineer in carpenter’s clothing. He studied mechanical engineering in 1967 at the University of Massachusetts when the future was not bright for engineers. And he aspired to be an aeronautical engineer when NASA headlined the news with moon shots. True to form, Norm found the classroom wasn’t for him. After all, his genius is working with his hands.

Ken Gartin
08-15-2007, 9:38 PM
Good article. I love Norm. He's one of my favorites (if not the top favorite) in WWing!

I love his practicality and down to earth reproductions/designs. While I love to look at the finished results of some of David Marks stuff, it's just not my style. A little too fluffy...

Thanks for the link!

Don Bullock
08-15-2007, 9:59 PM
Thanks for the link. Like many, Norm is partly responsible fpr me wanting to get back into woodworking as a hobby. I especially like his practicle approach to woodworking projects and restoring houses as well.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2007, 10:05 PM
Great article! I am a Norm fan.....He's genuine...talented...

Brad Townsend
08-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I enjoy Norm. This may sound like a slam, and is certainly not intended as such, but I think the thing I like most about him is for proving that, given the right circumstances, ANYONE can be a TV star.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Brad..........He certainly proves you don't need a pretty face to be a star!:D

glenn bradley
08-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Brad..........He certainly proves you don't need a pretty face to be a star!:D

What? I missed my calling. Hollywood, here I come.

Martin Shupe
08-16-2007, 12:57 AM
Nice article, Ray, and thanks for posting.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-16-2007, 1:05 AM
You gotta like guys like Norm who are so talented but humble also. And yeah he got me interested in this hobby too. Thanks for the article.

John Lucas
08-16-2007, 1:41 AM
Article was good reading, even if old news. Norm's TV presents got me back into woodworking decades ago.

fred woltersdorf
08-16-2007, 5:48 AM
i'm glad it was norm who went on to star in toh and not bob "vile"

Ken Gartin
08-16-2007, 8:43 AM
i'm glad it was norm who went on to star in toh and not bob "vile"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/kgartin/yes-12.gif (Never like Bob V. much as a host)

I liked Steve Thomas as the host (in combo with Norm A, Tom S., Richard T., et al)...not too crazy about the new guy, Kevin O'Conner...I guess he's growing on me though...

Greg Cole
08-16-2007, 9:03 AM
"I love his practicality and down to earth"...... not much else to be said about a "Yankee"! Except many of us Yankees have a rather dry stoic sense of humor too.
Norm is an inspriring person to many..... we all dream of having a shop as nicely appointed as his and the talent.
Tommy Silva is the other one on that show I like & like alot. He is ONE HANDY S-O-B.

Cheers,
Greg

Ken Gartin
08-16-2007, 9:11 AM
Yeah, I like Tom a lot!

Rich Torino
08-16-2007, 8:02 PM
Great article, thanks for the link....

Gary Keedwell
08-16-2007, 9:10 PM
Article was good reading, even if old news. Norm's TV presents got me back into woodworking decades ago.
Norm gave you presents to watch him?:eek: :D

Only kidding John....couldn't help myself.

Gary K.

Ken Gartin
08-16-2007, 9:12 PM
Norm gave you presents to watch him?:eek: :D

Only kidding John....couldn't help myself.

Gary K.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/kgartin/heh.gif

Tom Henderson2
08-17-2007, 3:55 AM
FWIW I didn't think that the "New Yankee" workshop was Norms.. but rather I thought it belonged to the producer.

Either way, I sure think it would look good next to my house!