PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench Tool Cabinet

Ace Karner
01-25-2004, 11:38 AM
Finished it!!

last nite I put the final coat of BLO on the tool cabinet I've been doing for the last 3 weekends, so here's some pic's.

I edged the plywood carcass with some walnut scrapes from another project, really like the contrast with the baltic burch. The handles I got from the local Habitat for Humanity store for .50 each, so the total spent on this project comes to just under $90.00.

The finish is BLO and I will give it several coats of paste wax in a few days and ever so often from now on.

I have included one picture that shows what a jewel this cabinet is in my otherwise more than disorganized and messy shop :D

The titles of the Pics are self explanatory I hope

Thanks for looking

Ace

Dick Parr
01-25-2004, 11:44 AM
Very Nice! It came out great Ace. Thanks for the final pictures.

Terry Hatfield
01-25-2004, 11:53 AM
Ace,

Nice job!!! I realy like it but I am concerned that there are not quite enough drawers. :D

t

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-25-2004, 11:56 AM
Ace
That looks really GREAT!
And even better, now that we see it installed under the workbench.
Daniel :cool:

Mike Mastin
01-25-2004, 12:30 PM
Ace,

That is one nice lathe stand you have there!

Tyler Howell
01-25-2004, 2:19 PM
Nice Job Ace,

The finish really pushes it over the top.

Steve Clardy
01-25-2004, 6:37 PM
So---are they full yet? Or will you have to purchase more goodies to fill them? Steve

Martin Shupe
01-25-2004, 6:58 PM
Really nice job, Ace!! I like it!

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 7:35 PM
Ah, that looks great, Ace! And I see you remembered to leave some room to be able to clean away the stuff that falls through the dog holes, too. (DAMHIKT!!)

Ya know, I may have to do something like this for my bench, too. You can never have enough storage and what I got now is way substandard to your beautiful cabinet. Thanks for sharing it.

Tom Sweeney
01-25-2004, 10:30 PM
I like it a lot - might need to rethink the shop cabinet I have in progress a little bit.

I like the looks of the walnut & baltic birch too.

Questions!
Did you just use hardwood runners for the drawers
&
Did you put any type of drawer stop in place - if so any chance to get a detail pic of that?

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 11:02 PM
Lookin' good, Ace! Definitely like the contrasting Walnut. Really sets it off beatifully. So, are you tired of making box joints yet? :cool:

Bob Lasley
01-25-2004, 11:05 PM
Ace,

Looks good my friend. I just put some drawers under my bench, but they don't look near as purty as yours.

Bob

David Rose
01-25-2004, 11:11 PM
Great job Ace! How will you remember what is in each drawer? If I had that many I would need clear fronts on them. Or maybe index cards? :D I could spend hours looking for what is suppose to be in drawer number 3.

David

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 11:30 PM
I could spend hours looking for what is suppose to be in drawer number 3.

Got THAT right, David! I've been thinking about attaching tiny transmitters to each of my tools, with their own individual bar codes. Then, scan that into the shop PC for entry in a database. The database is then linked to a GP map of the shop. That way, anytime I can't find a tool quickly, I go to the computer, pick the item I need and a little red dot flashes on the screen with a map of the shop on it! That or just do like I do now: Spend hours looking for said tool! :rolleyes: :cool:

David Rose
01-25-2004, 11:41 PM
Let's see John. New notebook computer... does that need to be state of the art? Then tiny transmitters, a few dozen. Then the receiver. If this is not terribly expensive I believe I could pay it back on pencils and tape measures alone in about 6 months. Let me know when you get the bugs out will ya?

Actually, I bought 2 dozen pencils from Lee Valley a few months ago. I sharpened every one and scattered them around the room along with some others already there. Last week I gathered them all up to resharpen. All 13 of them! Either Lee Valley can't count or do mice eat pencils?

David

Got THAT right, David! I've been thinking about attaching tiny transmitters to each of my tools, with their own individual bar codes. Then, scan that into the shop PC for entry in a database. The database is then linked to a GP map of the shop. That way, anytime I can't find a tool quickly, I go to the computer, pick the item I need and a little red dot flashes on the screen with a map of the shop on it! That or just do like I do now: Spend hours looking for said tool! :rolleyes: :cool:

John Miliunas
01-25-2004, 11:56 PM
Last week I gathered them all up to resharpen. All 13 of them!

Ha! Easy for you to say. Now, where in the heck did I put my sharpener....?! :cool:

Ace Karner
01-26-2004, 8:08 AM
Thanks for all your kind words,

Terry, I guess I could have put a couple more drawers at the bottom but I can't reach the floor anymore LOL

Steve, I'm sure they will fill up fast, you know how nature abhors a vacuum and things will expand to fill a void.

Jim, as you can see I have left plenty of room for the junk that falls thru the dog holes to accumulate.

Tom, Yes the drawers are on maple runners, the small drawers are meant to be abel to be pulled out and set on the bench, I even put notches on both ends so they can go back in easily either way.

The larger drawers have a screw that is about and inch from the back and ride in the second grove an inch below the runner and stop at the Walnut trim.

John I'm sick and tired of box joints, especially gluing them up.

David, I'm working on a labeling system, will figure something out when I have decided what will live where.

Thanks again for looking, and all the nice things you have said about my humble project.

ace

Dan McGuire
01-26-2004, 8:43 AM
Great job, I like the walnut. I too have an unorganized shop, when I try to clean things up or incorporate "storage solutions" I loose track of where I put things. I hope you have better luck, although I have not built anything that nice that would allow for total organization. Good luck

Steve Inniss
01-26-2004, 5:37 PM
Ace,
That looks great - nice job! I bet you're glad to get it into service.
I hope the lathe shavings stay out or you'll have to make 20 little half moon plugs.