PDA

View Full Version : ROS problems...

Kelly C. Hanna
01-25-2004, 11:33 AM
Long story short, I have had two PC 333's go bad in a month. Not sure why, but both started up very slowly after a couple of weeks and the last one quit holding discs on the third week after only 28 or so discs.

So I gave up and saw the DW ROS with a case sitting there on the shelf at HD's and said to myself, Why not? So I took my gift card they gave me for my 333 and promptly picked up the DW.

First impressions are very good. Well thought out design with an 8 hole pad and an excellent dust collection bag. It's also a little smaller/shorter and fits into tight spaces better.

I hope this one lasts a long time. I normally have had no problems with PC and own no less than 6 tools of theirs right now. This is only my second DW tool (own a Quik Drive decking screwgun), but so far I love it!

Daniel Rabinovitz
01-25-2004, 12:13 PM
Kelly
First, lets address the problem of the sand paper not holding (assuming that the velcro quit holding).
Your pushing on the sander too hard.
As you push down you are forcing the sand paper to grab the wood and the sander pad keep going round - hence wearing out the little velcro "nibs". After while the sandpaper won't attach to the worn down nibs.
Even new discs of sand paper won't grab to the velcro.
Don't worry I did the same thing.
You can look around the web - there is a place in New England (I think) that has replacement pads for about $12 or is it $14.00.

Secondly - why the other sander quit working - I don't know!

Best of luck with the ROS
Daniel

Keith Outten
01-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Kelly,

The problem you are having with the hook and loop pads is most likely because you are putting pressure on the sander. I had the same problem and contacted PC for an explanation, the pads will lose their ability to hold sanding disks quickly if you apply pressure when sanding, the weight of the ROS is all that they reccommend.

I have four PC 333's and they have lots of hours on them. The H&L pads are now lasting for months of daily activity.

Kelly C. Hanna
01-25-2004, 12:50 PM
I wondered if pressure had something to do with it. I decided not to put much on the new one to see if that made a difference and now I know it will. Thanks for the insight.

Byron Trantham
01-25-2004, 12:58 PM
I was told as couple of years ago not to put too much pressure on the ROS. To make the point, he had me let just the weight of the sander work and told me to "listen" to the motor. Then he had me put pressure on and said to listen again. The motor definitely slowed down. If the motor is running slower, its not doing the work it could be. Anyway, I took the advice and have found that using very little pressure was more effective than "pressing down".

Good luck with your new sander. BTW, $12-$14 for a new pad might not be a bad investment.

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-25-2004, 1:19 PM
I've quit buying Porter Cable sanders because they've just not held up to regular everyday use. Not only has the pad life been disapponting, but the cord/switch problems, too. They simply don't last anymore. It's not just you.

Even though you think you might've been putting too much pressure on the sander, I'm not gonna suggest that that caused your problem... you've been woodworking and sanding a long time and have some idea of what you're doing. Pushing too hard can certainly contribute to the velcro wearing out, but 28 discs sounds awfully quick. I assume since you're in the bizness, you're using quality abrasives. If you're using 'off the shelf' papers from HomeDepot (for instance), that may be part of the problem. There's a difference between Norton (again, for instance) discs you buy there and Norton industrial discs. I've had the HomeDepot variety literally 'melt' off a new pad in a minute or two.

I've gone to DeWalt sanders and been quite satisfied. I've even started reaching for the DeWalt finish sander instead of the PC...and I used to think the SpeedBloc was probably the finest sander made.

Lately I've started blowing the trapped dust off the pad of the sander before putting a new disc on. For whatever that's worth...

KC

Jeff Hamilton
01-25-2004, 8:50 PM
I have had the same problem with my pc 333. So I took the thing apart and found that the lower motor bearing was completely frozen. I just sprayed a little lithum grease on it and it worked free.I have had to do this a couple of times. I thought that I had a lemon. looks like I'm not the only one. i would expect a little better quality from pc. I do have several other tools with no problems.My 2 cents worth..
Jeff Hamilton

John Shuk
01-25-2004, 9:25 PM
Now I know why My PC won't hold discs anymore. I use alot of pressure and now it all makes sense. I won't do that anymore.