PDA

View Full Version : Advice for TS Mobile Base

Darrin Davis
08-15-2007, 2:30 PM
I have a Rockwell table saw with a right extention table that i think is a 50" beismeyer fence. I need a mobile base for it and was needing suggestions. I've attaced a pic of the table saws footprint including measurements for the cabinet and right extention support legs.

I have the the HTC mobile base that was built for my sawstop tablesaw and really like it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Greg Sznajdruk
08-15-2007, 2:49 PM
I have the Unisaw mobile base it looks like it may be about the same size.

Greg

Jason White
08-15-2007, 7:28 PM
HTC makes custom-sized mobile bases, or at least they used to.

JW

I have a Rockwell table saw with a right extention table that i think is a 50" beismeyer fence. I need a mobile base for it and was needing suggestions. I've attaced a pic of the table saws footprint including measurements for the cabinet and right extention support legs.

I have the the HTC mobile base that was built for my sawstop tablesaw and really like it.

Thanks for any suggestions!

John Thompson
08-16-2007, 12:11 AM
Morning Darrin...

The Uni-saw base accepts 22 3/4" x 22 3/4" which is a perfect fit for the saw itself.. not sure of your saw base size..

As mentioned by Jason, I would google HTC mobile bases and you will find their web-site. Just add your dimensions in their "fix ya up box" that fixes ya up with their appropriate base # for what you submitted. :)

I believe you can order from that site on-line.. but then again I might just be having a "senior moment". :confused: ha.. ha...

Regards...

Sarge.. john thompson

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-16-2007, 9:21 AM
I suggest you take a look at Zambus casters (or these: http://www.greatlakescaster.com/proddetail.php?prod=LV-1710-NYP-S-M12 ) and figure a way to duplicate that effect. they take the wheels entirely out of the equation when you settle the machine.

I think that operating machinery on wheels whether locking or otherwise is a bad idea. When the wheels are in the equation they can can twist. If they twist in pairs the movement can be sudden and substantial. My fingers are often close to the blade.

Matt Meiser
08-16-2007, 9:48 AM
Grizzly's Shop Fox mobile base has an option for an add-on that goes out to pick up the table legs. I have a Shop Fox base under my bandsaw and am happy with it. Also, if your table is a factory table, HTC probably makes a base that works. The HTC bases I had were really nice and fit exactly. I got rid of them when I moved to a new shop that didn't require mobility.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/category.aspx?key=265030

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom/pics/jpeg288/g/g8684.jpg

Gary McKown
08-16-2007, 10:01 AM
And if you mount the saw so the swivel casters are in the front rather than the side, the fixed-caster platforms in the rear make a good place to mount supports for an outfeed table (so saw, extension table, and outfeed table all move as one unit). The platforms even have some extra holes to make it easy.

Chris Parks
08-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Why waste good space. I put my similar saw on wheels that are within the cabinet, not external so they can't be seen. This makes it want to topple because there is no outboard support. To fix that I am building a cabinet to go under the extension rails and it will be bolted to the underneath of the rails, this also being on wheels, the whole assembly will then be able to move. This leaves enough space between the top of the cabinet and the top of the rails to build a torsion box which will be my router table all within the footprint of the saw. The router will drop throught the torsion box into the main cabinet and for access to it I am thinking of hinging the torsion box though the last is not definite. I am just at the drawing stage of it (full scale) and was surprised at how much storage it will provide. I cannot understand why anyone would want to use ultra thick material that obviously still can sag, even from its own weight when a torsion box won't and is a light weight structure. The main plate to hold the router will only be just bigger than the router base, enough to sit on its own supports and that's all. I will make it out of steel or aluminium if I can scrounge a bit and pushfit plastic inserts into it for minimal clearance on the router bit. The use of small rare earth magnets will stop the insert lifting so I will most probably use steel. These can be made from bread boards with two hole saws so if they get damaged its cheap to replace and make as many as needed. Sorry about getting carried away but I am looking forward to making it and seeing how it all works.

Eric Commarato
08-16-2007, 4:29 PM
HTC has a bunch of clearance mobile bases listed on their web site. Just bought one for my PM 719 mortiser 35 bucks shipping included. The may have on to fit your saw...