PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday We Laid our Dad to Rest

Bryan Somers
08-15-2007, 1:32 PM
Both my brother and myself are still somewhat in shock but Friday Aug 10 we lost our daddy. For the most part he was a very spry 83 and was active right up to the end, he even went fishing with one of his best friends the prevous Monday. He was taken to the hospital on Wenesday and it was determined that he had 80% blockage on one side and 90% on the other.

He was taken back rather quickly for bypass surgery still cutting up with the staff and wanting to tell stories, he always wanted to tell stories. My brother had to litterally tell him to hush, "You can tell us tomorrow" Mark said. Even though surgery went much better than expected Daddy never woke up. Its believed that a blood clot broke loose and he had a massive stroke.

Daddy served in the Navy during WWII. He was a gunner and bombadier on the Navy's PBY Mariners and fought the Japanese the last 2 1/2 yaers of the war. He even had one of his planes shot out from under him, and helped pull alot of sailors out of the water. I was sure Daddy still had some fight left in him.

Daddy was most proud of his service, especially his medals.

Some of these medals for whatever reason he did not recieve at the end of his service, but with the help, hard work, and persistance of US Congressman Howard Coble he finally recieved them in April 2004 also presented to him by Congressman Coble. He was like a child on Christmas morning that day.

The flag to the left was flown over the Capitol on Dec. 2 2002 in honor of daddy's service at the request of Congressman Richard Burr

Daddy built the display box.

He will be missed.

Bryan

Tony De Masi
08-15-2007, 1:38 PM
Bryan, please accept condolences from my family to yours. I lost my dad, also a WWII vet, in 1995. His last words were " I just want to die a proud soldier." Then he did.

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
08-15-2007, 1:40 PM
Bryan....My sincere sympathy. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

David Wilson
08-15-2007, 1:49 PM
Bryan Our thoughts are with you and your family. Please accept our deepest condolences.

Jim O'Dell
08-15-2007, 1:54 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss. Your Dad sounds like a wonderful man. I'm sure he will be missed by many. Jim.

Al Willits
08-15-2007, 2:12 PM
Always tough to lose a loved one, Godspeed to your dad and my condolences to you and your family.

Al

Steve Schlumpf
08-15-2007, 2:26 PM
Bryan - always hard when you lose a parent! Please accept condolences from my family to yours and also our heartfelt thanks for your father's service to our country!

Art Mulder
08-15-2007, 2:51 PM
Bryan,
Thanks for sharing some of your Daddy's story with us.

Blessings,
...art

Nancy Laird
08-15-2007, 2:59 PM
Bryan, my deepest condolences to you and your family. Fair winds and following seas to your dad.

Nancy

Steve Clardy
08-15-2007, 3:12 PM
Sorry to hear that Bryan

Phyllis Meyer
08-15-2007, 3:30 PM
Dear Bryan,

Please accept our deepest sympathies. We thank him for serving his country! It sounds like you and your family will have wonderful memories to remember him. We will be praying for you and your family!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Jim Becker
08-15-2007, 5:13 PM
I've sad to learn of your loss. Remember, your dad will always be with you in your fond memories.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-15-2007, 8:28 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Alan Greene
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Bryan, from our family to yours our deepest condolences. Your fathers pride in his service and fight seem to have served him well in life. He will always be in your heart and will live forever in your memories. Again our condolences.

Alan & family

Dennis Peacock
08-15-2007, 11:26 PM
Very sorry to hear of the loss of your dad. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Mike Langford
08-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Sorry for the loss of your father. We never know or are prepaired when we lose someone we love.....You and your family are in my prayers and I salute your father for his service.......

Jon Lanier
08-16-2007, 12:57 AM
Thank you! Thank you for your fathers service to his country. There are none finer than those willing to give all they have so that other may have.

Semper Fi, from the other side of this screen.

John Bailey
08-16-2007, 5:48 AM
Sorry for your loss. It sounds like your dad was a great man.

John

Martin Shupe
08-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Sorry for your loss.

With two Naval Air Medals (and others), he was, most definately, a great man.

Leigh Costello
08-16-2007, 10:59 PM
Bryan and family,
Thank you for sharing your Daddy's story with us. Please accept our condolences. I have never met a sailor who didn't have a story to tell.
Leigh

Roger Bell
08-16-2007, 11:01 PM
My condolences. We lost our father about a year ago. He served in a WW2 Naval PB4Y squadron (B-24 Liberators) in the Pacific.

You might consider posting your news on one of the PBY message boards (google it...there may be one specific to Mariners). My father took up corresponding with some of his war buds very late in his life, so I felt it appropriate, in our particular case, to let them know. We got quite a number of responses from men we didnt know who had served with him and who appreciated hearing the news. It was comforting to me to correspond with these veterans who knew and admired my father when he was young. A couple of guys sent us old photos and one had even written a book.

Ted Shrader
08-17-2007, 10:44 AM
Bryan -

Please accept our condolences on the loss of your father. The way you described him in your post exemplifies the great love and respect you and your family have for him. Fond memories of your Daddy will be with you always.

Sorry for your loss,
Ted

Rick Gibson
08-17-2007, 1:58 PM
My condolences on your loss Brian. Sounds like he was a good man and will be missed.

Bruce Page
08-17-2007, 2:54 PM
Bryan, you and your family have my sincerest sympathy.