PDA

View Full Version : Walking stick?

Bonnie Campbell
08-15-2007, 9:54 AM
Amongst other things, I bought the connector kit from Woodcraft to make a walking stick. Has anybody made one using their kit? My problem is I, ummm, didn't think about the handle :eek: :o There is a screw thingy to attach one, but are there any tutorials around for shaping one?

And would Kentucky coffee wood be sturdy enough wood for a cane?

Brett Baldwin
08-15-2007, 11:45 AM
The handle is where the design work really shows your creativity. You could go with a simple sphere or a carved figure or a classic tilde (~) shape or custom shape it to the recipient's hand. Just keep in mind that this will be something that is going to bear the weight of someone.

I'm working on one for a co-worker right now who tore some cartilage in his knee. That aluminum thing he was given has no class at all.

paul wiser
08-15-2007, 11:20 PM
check the lee valley catalog. i think they have a connector kit for the handle. yes ky coffee wood is strong enough

Frank Kobilsek
08-16-2007, 9:06 AM
Bonnie

I have made a few canes. Canes are what brought me to turning.

Depending on the design I will use one of the following joints

1) turn a tenon on one part and have a hole in the other, They can fit tight or be loose. Either way bond with epoxy.

2) Drill a 3/8 hole on both sides of the joint and epoxy in a piece of 5/16 threaded rod.

Frank