PDA

View Full Version : Bosch rival to Fein Multimaster?

Brad Naylor
08-15-2007, 1:37 AM
I just found this http://www.bosch-presse.de/TBWebDB/en-US/PressText.cfm?&Search=1&id=3005 for sale through a big catalogue store in England.

It looks like a copy of the Fein Multimaster but at less than half the price.

Has anybody used one?

frank shic
08-15-2007, 10:02 AM
wow! that is a LOT cheaper. time to email bosch again... thanks for the info!

Fred Craven
08-15-2007, 10:44 AM
I just found this:
It looks like a copy of the Fein Multimaster but at less than half the price.

Some time ago Fein licensed the oscillating design to Proxxon, and thus they provided a mini-delta sander (interesting Fein USA had nothing to do with this and I heard they would have preferred a different product.

Fein may have licensed the design to Bosch as well, or their pattent may have expired. Either way, now that thy have the new MultiMaster with the quick release, Fein still has the top product--and I really want one.

I remember learning about patents and, and licensing years ago. Some companies don't want anyone else to be able to sell their design, other companies decide to let'em. The example I remember was Goodyear. Goodyear figured out how to vulcanize rubber for car tires. But instead of keeping the technology, they licensed it. So for decades and decades, 2 cents of every tire sold by every other company went to Goodyear. (Don't know if it's still the case) Perhaps that's what Fein is doing.

I seem to remember another woodworking design that someone wanted to license (nudge nudge), but the big companies didn't want to pay the desired premium. But I digress.:)

If only Fein still offered their Jigsaw in the US.

Gary Curtis
08-15-2007, 11:57 AM
It was also disturbing to learn that Bosch makes a Biscuit Jointer which is sold in England, and is superior to all othe brands except for the Lamello. But that jointer isn't sold in North America.

Gary Curtis

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-15-2007, 2:16 PM
It's about bloody time ~!!

Bob Wingard
08-15-2007, 2:48 PM
I wonder if blades will be either interchangable or adaptable ??

Bob Feeser
08-15-2007, 3:11 PM
This is an interesting new development, because heretofore;

Bosch makes a flush cutter also, and the advantage to that, is that the blades are available locally. The problem is that the Bosch is not also a sander, and scraper etc. Cost almost the same, and is a one use tool.

So it will be interesting to see this new development with Bosch expansion into the multi use tool. If it is anything like Bosch's other tools, it will be a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Bittner
08-15-2007, 6:25 PM
Tell me it ain't so. Just took delivery yesterday of a long delayed decision to purchase the Fein Multimaster. Now you tell me I could have got something similar for half price?

But I got it -- the top model --and love it. Do have a call into Fein though, seems they advertise and the box shows two sanding pads, one perforated and one not but my kit has two similar looking although different part numbers sanding pads and neither one is perforated for the dust collection. Anybody else run into this problem?

Has anyone bought the Fein Dust Vac and if so is it worth the price?

frank shic
08-15-2007, 8:18 PM
jerry, how hard is the tooless locking mechanism to use? i've heard complaints that it takes a fair amount of pressure to lock the blades in place.

Jerry Bittner
08-15-2007, 9:31 PM
I don't think it is an unusual amount of pressure to open or lock it in place. I'm 69 years old and handle it okay.

By the way just finished using it to sand in some tight places of a rocking chair I'm building. After a sad experience with the Porter Cable detail sander, this Fein is many, many times better.

Brad Naylor
08-16-2007, 1:24 AM
My only concern would be that Bosch are obviously aiming this at their 'green' or DIY market.

Maybe they will launch a 'blue' pro version at a later date?

William Nimmo
08-16-2007, 8:09 AM
I remember reading somewhere a few months ago that we will be seeing many multimaster imitations soon because the patent is about to expire. I believe they are only good for 25 years.

Jude Herr
08-16-2007, 4:37 PM
So far they haven't released it in the USA yet. I just spoke to the Bosch sales/tech folks here and they haven't even heard of the tool!
It may be cheaper but we'll see if it's as good as the Fein.

frank shic
08-24-2007, 1:34 PM
bosch finally emailed me back and claims that they have no intentions of offering this tool in north america :(

Scot Ferraro
08-25-2007, 12:00 AM
I just picked up a new Fein multi-master -- one of the new tool-less units. I am remodeling my kitchen and I sure have given it a workout removing all of the tile and sanding the old thinset -- it earned its keep on this project alone.

Scot