PDA

View Full Version : BIG Ash Burl

George Guadiane
08-14-2007, 9:59 PM
I stopped at a new (to me) lumber yard, in an area that I don't normally go. I asked if they ever ran across any burls...
The guy said that there was a big Ash burl in a pile somewhere if I might be interested :eek:!
We went out and looked at a partially covered MONSTER. No kidding, it must be 4 feet high by 4 feet across (and that is just the burl part). Both ends were long, and without rot, the piece has been sitting for more than a year. I DON'T know how long it has been up to it's neck in dirt, so there might be an unpleasant surprise once he gets it out, BUT...
I asked how much he wanted for it and, after thinking for a minute, he says just enough to pay for my time to get it out...
How much is THAT I asked, trying not to run around in circles doing somersaults.
"$50.00."
OK :D Says I.
I paid him and left, I will go back next Wednesday and chop it up. It will probably take me two trips. You notice, if you look at some of my posts, or at my website, that I come up with nice burl material, and now you know that I USUALLY don't pay much for them. This thing MUST weigh 400 pound or more, and I will probably get 10 or 20 good sized blanks out of it.

My point???:rolleyes::
You have to ask... You have to keep your eyes open and ask in logical places. These guys just throw this kind of thing in a heap, and they are not the only ones. They have a saw mill right there, and chainsaws. If I had needed it, for a little more, I bet they would have cut it up for me too.

Like I said, I'll post pictures, of the whole burl and of some of the chopped up stuff.

TYLER WOOD
08-15-2007, 9:50 AM
No pics, didn't happen!! :rolleyes:

Jim Becker
08-15-2007, 10:09 AM
You're right about asking...it's a skill that every turner needs to embrace! Congrats on your burl...'looking forward to the pictures that, umm...prove it's real...LOL :D :D :D

Mike Vickery
08-15-2007, 1:43 PM
I am still waiting for pictures of the "fish" story. Really makes me wish we had sawmills around my area.

William Bachtel
08-15-2007, 3:43 PM
What no photos

George Guadiane
08-17-2007, 7:51 PM
No pics, didn't happen!! :rolleyes:
I appreciate and respect your position, but I WILL post pics on Wednesday (unless I'm dead:eek:).:D

George Guadiane
08-17-2007, 7:54 PM
I am still waiting for pictures of the "fish" story. Really makes me wish we had sawmills around my area.
A friend in New York City has hooked up with the street and parks departments... He gets all kinds of stuff.
Just ahve to think outside the box (or buy stuff from guys like me:D)

George Guadiane
08-17-2007, 7:55 PM
What no photos
WEDNESDAY (I'm out of town till then):(

Kevin McPeek
08-18-2007, 12:11 AM

There is a little one on the way to Payson and a pretty big one up near snowflake...roadtrip?

Jon Lanier
08-18-2007, 12:41 AM
YOu have to ask? I've been doing it all wrong. I've been begging! :eek:

George Guadiane
08-18-2007, 6:52 PM
YOu have to ask? I've been doing it all wrong. I've been begging! :eek:
It has been my experience that looking desperate is counter productive, in that it projects a certain air of :( :D "PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF ME...":eek: :eek: :eek:
However, if there are no burls or fancy wood to be had, not much of any approach will work.
Ask everywhere, town garages, parks departments, wave money (that usually helps) and show some of your work. They get excited when they can see what their efforts might bring.

George Guadiane
08-22-2007, 4:57 PM
I believe that there were those among you who raised question about the veracity of my statements about the alleged "Big Ash Burl;"
This burl has no "eyes," but LOTS of intense curly and COOL growth rings. I ended up with a total of 12 large pieces, but will probably end up with 20 blanks, including the smaller vase/HF blanks.
Below, find the pictures I promised for this date:

paul ashman
08-22-2007, 5:15 PM
Wow! now there's a gloat

charlie knighton
08-22-2007, 7:46 PM
show us the way george!:D