PDA

View Full Version : Bench End Vise thourghts?

Victor Stearns
08-14-2007, 9:49 PM
Greetings. New to the Creek. I am going to build a new bench. I have already been given a 30" x 84" bench top from a high school. Sanding this cleaned up nicely. I want to add a vise to the end. I was looking at Veritas Twin Screw vise. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1%2c41659&p=45114

Has anyone installed/used this? Would you buy it again.

Thanks
Victor

Michael King
08-14-2007, 10:24 PM
Hi Victor,
I use mine as a front vise.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a191/mking143/103_0374.jpg
Although it works well, it can be finicky. Read the instructions, then read them again. When you've read them twice, read them again.:)
This vise will not suffer sloppy installation or poor planning- go slow. Don't forget to occasionally tighten the set screws also. I enjoy using this vise.
HTH
Mike

Bruce Page
08-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Victor, welcome to the Creek. Several members have the LV tail vise. It is very well thought of.

Tony Shaftel
08-14-2007, 11:50 PM
I use the LV on the front, too. Rarely need an end vise and then I manage with the little dohicky from LV that goes in a dog hole and screws tight against the work--ah yes, the Wonder Dog.

Henk Marais
08-15-2007, 6:45 AM
Apologies for hi-jacking the thread but I too have a question.

I have received my twinscrew from LV last week (after waiting 6 weeks - all takes a little longer here in Africa) It was sugested that I also take the extention plate but I desided not to do that (aditional cost) I now look at it and are not sure I made the right desision as the screws look like they are going to sit to close to one another.

What is the general view on this?

John Thompson
08-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Greetings. New to the Creek. I am going to build a new bench. I have already been given a 30" x 84" bench top from a high school. Sanding this cleaned up nicely. I want to add a vise to the end. I was looking at Veritas Twin Screw vise. http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&cat=1%2c41659&p=45114

Has anyone installed/used this? Would you buy it again.

Thanks
Victor

Morning Victor...

I installed one several years ago on my current bench and every bench I have build for friends at their request since. It is very good in it's role as a vice with wide and even clamping between the screws. And with a little thought it can serve some multi-purpose roles other than just clamping stock that you are working on.

I rip large amounts of quite long stock (8'-14') on my TS that is set up strickly for ripping as cross-cut gets done on a SCMS with extentions. In order to do those lenghts safely in a one man operation, you have to have proper support or you have a potentially dangerous accident waiting to happen.

So.. my bench is positioned with the LV twin facing the TS front so I can get a little assist from that positive clamping effect of a Twin to provide support. It is a very versatile vise IMO, and if I could only have one vise it would be the vise I chose for that role.

Regards...

Sarge.. john thompson