PDA

View Full Version : Bed delivered

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-25-2004, 8:56 AM
Wife and I carried a Mission Mesquite king sized bed and nitestands to happy customers yesterday afternoon. I sold this at the mesquite show in October, when they saw the mesquite/curly maple queen sized I had on display (which was already sold at that point).

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/missking2.jpg

The rails are 5/4 hard maple with 3/16 or so mesquite laminated to show on the outside, attached with locking knockdown hardware (mortised, from Rockler). I've heard several 'purists' pooh-pooh this hardware, but I assure you that when done correctly, this joint is hell to get apart on purpose...let alone by accident.

http://www.kcwoodworks.net/bedhw1.jpg

I made a simple interlocking plywood thingy (like under a waterbed platform) to provide support in the middle for the slats. Obviously I made it a bit too long since you can see it from the foot of the bed. :mad:

Nitestands are pretty much the 'standard' Mission style. Where used (on the bed), square plugs are ebony. Finish is WATCO natural, topped with Sherwin Williams Medium Rubbed Effect pre-cat lacquer. I prefer the dull rubbed, but couldn't find a single gallon in time.

Thanks for looking....KC

Todd Burch
01-25-2004, 9:21 AM
Next time you go past Katy (if you do), give me a holler. Weather was nasty yesterday, but it was nice inside!

Good looking bedroom set. You going to make them a footlocker to hide that ply? :)

John Weber
01-25-2004, 2:18 PM
KC,

Great job as always, the mesquite almost looks like cherry in the pics. I bet the maple looks great as well.

Take Care - John

Bob Marino
01-25-2004, 2:22 PM
Nice work, to say the least!! Beautiful finish also, but never heard of that Sherwin Williams product. How is it best applied and is it a durable finish?

Bob

Kirk (KC) Constable
01-25-2004, 9:31 PM
Far as I know, Bob, it's spray only. As a 'layman' reading the spec sheet (as opposed to a chemist that might actually understand it), I'm pretty well convinced it's nearly as tough as poly, but with all the benefits of lacquer. I use it on everything and haven't had any problems or complaints yet.

SW also makes a conversion varnish that dries like lacquer that's supposed to be tougher than poly. I've not shot that, but a couple buddies of mine have with good results.

KC

Jim Becker
01-25-2004, 9:55 PM
Beautiful, KC!! That mesquite is such a great look.

BTW, those slat supports might "disappear" better if they get painted flat black. They are a necessary evil with a king bed, though! Tapering the ends will help, too, making the bottom farther away from the viewer.

Bob Lasley
01-25-2004, 11:12 PM
KC,

Once again you've proven why you are the Mesquite Master! Great work!

Bob