PDA

View Full Version : What's a good book in finishes

Bill Wyko
08-14-2007, 8:12 PM
When I turn something I have so much fun........then comes finish:cool: Are there any good books with lots of illistrations I should look for?

Pete Jordan
08-14-2007, 9:58 PM
I bought the six hours of DVD video from Russ Fairfield.http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Video.html
I have learned many things and it is great to see it done right.

Montgomery Scott
08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
In addition to Russ' sage knowledge you can go to the library to check out Bob Flexner's book and Jeff Jewitt's book on finishing. Both are excellent resources.

Matt Meiser
08-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Another vote for Flexner and Jewitt. I have the Jewitt book from the Fine Woodworking "Complete Illustrated Guide..." series and like it. As requested, tons of pictures.

I'm not sure how directly applicable they are to round stuff, but at a minimum you'll understand a lot about different finish types.

joe greiner
08-15-2007, 8:11 AM
I recently found FWW's collection of articles at Goodwill. It's about 20 years old, and has almost no info directly related to turning, but seems to be fairly comprehensive about techniques and recipes as of 1987. Have you considered Ubeaut's book? Haven't seen you lately down yonder. Language barrier?

Joe

Bill Wyko
08-15-2007, 5:05 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll look into all of this.