PDA

View Full Version : What's on the Paul Schurch video?

Scott Post
01-25-2004, 7:41 AM
On Paul Schurch's website he doesn't give any detail about what the video covers. It says he covers the basics (selecting, flattening, etc) then covers decorative veneering. What does he mean by "decorative"? Is it mostly marquetry or does he cover traditional tabletop patterns such as the starburt? I just watched Darryl Keil's video which covered the basics while doing a four way bookmatch but I'd like to see a starburst done. Does he cover fixing defects, such as the small holes in burls? Edge banding techniques?

Roger Barga
01-28-2004, 3:06 AM
Hi Scott,

I own this video and will try to field your question. The term decorative veneering is used to describe how Paul cuts and assembles pieces of veneer to create fancy veneer skins (i.e. tops for boxes or tables). He does start by describing how to make a bookmatched center, but then describes how to shape it using templates, then describes how to cut and fit filetti (inlay) around the book matched center and then add a complementary border (trim) to finish the skin. Paul spends a great deal of time explaining how to properly use and prepare the tools and details the techniques he uses is his shop. To me, this is the real value of this video. In addition, he describes how to deal with defects (holes in burls), rips and tears in veneer, how to make a large sheet of veneer from smaller pieces. I've had the opportunity to see Paul at work in his shop and he doesn't hold back any secrets in this video - what you see is pretty much how he goes about his craft to build the furniture on his website.

However, the video does not cover marquetry. Paul is currently working on a new video which will cover just about everything he teaches in his week long course on marquetry, including a detailed description of making radial matched tables, so if you are interested in this topic then keep an eye out for it (or PM me with any questions you might have).

Cheers,
Roger

On Paul Schurch's website he doesn't give any detail about what the video covers. It says he covers the basics (selecting, flattening, etc) then covers decorative veneering. What does he mean by "decorative"? Is it mostly marquetry or does he cover traditional tabletop patterns such as the starburt? I just watched Darryl Keil's video which covered the basics while doing a four way bookmatch but I'd like to see a starburst done. Does he cover fixing defects, such as the small holes in burls? Edge banding techniques?