PDA

View Full Version : Well they had a itty bitty contest, how about a itty bigge contest.

Bill Wyko
08-14-2007, 7:41 PM
The pieces in the itty bitty contest are some incredible pieces. Some could cause blindness looking at the incredibly small details. So how about a Itty Bigge contest. One rule being that it must be almost to the capacity of the swing of the lathe it was turned on.:rolleyes: Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if there's any interest.:D

George Guadiane
08-14-2007, 9:45 PM
The pieces in the itty bitty contest are some incredible pieces. Some could cause blindness looking at the incredibly small details. So how about a Itty Bigge contest. One rule being that it must be almost to the capacity of the swing of the lathe it was turned on.:rolleyes: Just thought I'd throw this out there and see if there's any interest.:D
"Almost???" I have a PM3520. What would be almost big enough on mine?
Sounds like fun, in any event.

Mike Vickery
08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
Hmmm I have just the piece sitting in my garage it should be dry enough to re-turn in about another year maybe year and a half.

Bill Stevener
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Sounds good. You might consider calling it a "Maxi Mighty" contest :D . I have seen turned bowls larger than 12' in diameter, any max size?? Who will make the winner's award plaque to dwarf the winning entry???:confused: :confused:

Randal Stevenson
08-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Sounds good. You might consider calling it a "Maxi Mighty" contest :D . I have seen turned bowls larger than 12' in diameter, any max size?? Who will make the winner's award plaque to dwarf the winning entry???:confused: :confused:

In this case, the plaque will be tiny.
Now their was a woodworker, whose name is something like Pliechman (I know that isn't it), that I found out about via usenet. He has a HUGE lathe he built and turned some columns on. One tough bar, looks like Paul Bunyan's lathe.

Patrick Taylor
08-14-2007, 11:53 PM
..One rule being that it must be almost to the capacity of the swing of the lathe it was turned on.:rolleyes:

Does that mean there's a handicap for us mini-lathe turners? (Mini owners, unite!)

Bill Wyko
08-15-2007, 12:13 AM
I'd say create catagories for certain dimentions, 12" to 16", 16" to 24", 24" to 36" and 36" and up.Then solids and segmented. Other than that, anything goes:eek: The award could be 2 or 3 inches tall.(Black Ebony would be nice:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) This could be fun.:D

Patrick Taylor
08-15-2007, 12:15 AM
I'd say create catagories for certain dimentions, 12" to 16", 16" to 24", 24" to 36" and 36" and up.Then solids and segmented. Other than that, anything goes:eek: The award could be 2 or 3 inches tall.(Black Ebony would be nice:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ) This could be fun.:D

What about 10"? We don't count? ;) and why does segmented get special treatment? :eek:

Brett Baldwin
08-15-2007, 1:11 AM
Heck, I may have already started my entry for this. I just roughed a bowl that was just shy of the ways on my mini. Unfortunately my rough won't be ready anytime soon.

TYLER WOOD
08-15-2007, 9:48 AM
HMMMM I have a 18" platter almost ready to sand and finish. Had to turn it outboard, does that count?

Patrick Taylor
08-15-2007, 10:57 AM
HMMMM I have a 18" platter almost ready to sand and finish. Had to turn it outboard, does that count?

If you're turning outboard I guess you'd better be damn near the floor! :p

Bill Wyko
08-15-2007, 2:00 PM
OK OK 10 to 16:D (I didn't know they came in 10's, my bad) The only reason to differentiate from segmented to non segmented is to keep apples to apples. Segmenting is almost like cheating because you can make the piece you want to start with where as a solid piece you have to find that perfect piece of wood. Both have their own set of challenges. HF's are no easy task. I tried that on the piece I posted earlier. That was tough. I've only done one platter and it was only 8 or 9 inches in diameter so I haven't really challenged myself in that area yet. If you have any opinions as to how to create the catagories, by all means, please post them:) This should be fun.:D Plus we get to see some more of everyones work.

Frank Kobilsek
08-15-2007, 2:13 PM
Bill,

You going to take into consideration the potential max in both directions. so on my Jet 1642 I'd need to be 15"+ in diameter and 39" or 40" tall to really kick some butt.

How about a weight to size ratio too. Weight in oz. divided by (dia. X height) and you half to be 80% or more of your swing for openers.

Frank

Bill Wyko
08-15-2007, 3:09 PM
I'm so confused now.:confused: Those ideas you have are one way to win.:D Peoples choice awards make it simple. Length of the piece is up to the turner.:rolleyes: This could get crazy:D

Patrick Taylor
08-15-2007, 3:19 PM
Peoples choice awards make it simple.

Who are the judges? Considering most of us (with small lathes at least) are frequently pushing the limits of our lathes, it seems like this may just be a flat out turning contest! :)

Bill Wyko
08-15-2007, 4:57 PM
I'm ok with that.:)

Tom Sherman
08-15-2007, 5:13 PM
Who are the judges? Considering most of us (with small lathes at least) are frequently pushing the limits of our lathes, it seems like this may just be a flat out turning contest! :)

Patrick Please refrain from using that F word:eek:

Patrick Taylor
08-15-2007, 6:03 PM
Patrick Please refrain from using that F word:eek:

Oh man, I didn't mean to imply anything flat! Unless you're making a platter, of course. :)