PDA

View Full Version : Figured MDF

Ken Gartin
08-14-2007, 7:20 PM
Never mind...

Ignore this post.

Edited due to the fact that there actually ARE stupid questions. :D

(Actually I was seeing references to "figured MDF" on another board that didn't sound like they were in a joking frame so I was just asking if there really was something I was missing. Maybe a stronger type of MDF or something. EH...sounds stupider the more I write...)

Carry on...

Jim Becker
08-14-2007, 9:01 PM
LOL...your timing could have been better, however...while this is an "A" month, it's not April! :D :D :D

mark page
08-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Sometimes my MDF gets highly figured, such as when I accidently saw into it, spill Target USL on it, a splash of mineral spirits, a burn from an edge banding iron, and on those days that aren't just going right, a smack with a hammer, lol.

Randal Stevenson
08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
On some cheap cabinet, made from MDF, I saw that they had either painted, pressed in, or somehow manufactured, a fake grain pattern. I figured you found a square chuck of this and were going to ask about it going all the way through.

Glad you didn't, I think it would be awfully hard on those tool edges.

Ken Gartin
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/kgartin/lol.gif

Richard M. Wolfe
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Curly MDF?
Quilted MDF?
MDF burl?

I looked in my botany book but couldn't find the species. :D

John Bush
08-15-2007, 12:33 AM
I figured MDF had a smooth finish.

sascha gast
08-15-2007, 4:27 AM
I am a huge sucker for natural edge MDF.
quarter sawn has it's perks also, but it's just too rare, so I only cut veneers from it

Mike Cutler
08-15-2007, 5:14 AM
I am a huge sucker for natural edge MDF.
quarter sawn has it's perks also, but it's just too rare, so I only cut veneers from it

It bookmatches very nicely, doesn't it? .:D :D :rolleyes:

sascha gast
08-15-2007, 5:19 AM
yeah, it really looks like the grain is just going on and on and on and on without as much as a blemish. it's almost tranquil and very zen like. it just soothes my spirit, that's all I gotta say to that:D

Jim O'Dell
08-15-2007, 8:52 AM
I've had lots of figured MDF in my shop lately, what with the work I've been doing on the torsion boxes lately. So far the laminate covers up all my pencil marks and figuring!! :D
Sorry, Ken, I was going to leave it alone untill everyone else pitched in! :p Jim.

Michael Schwartz
08-15-2007, 8:55 AM
How about flitch, or Rift sawn MDF

Chris Fierro
08-15-2007, 9:01 AM
It bookmatches very nicely, doesn't it? .:D :D :rolleyes:

Funny, I have had some issues attempting to match MDF. Still looking for that perfect piece to finish a shop cabinet.

Mike Cutler
08-15-2007, 9:13 AM
Funny, I have had some issues attempting to match MDF. Still looking for that perfect piece to finish a shop cabinet.

I've been searching for that perfect finish to really "pop the grain".
Anyone ever french polish MDF?:p

Ken. Thanks for the thread.;)

scott spencer
08-15-2007, 9:19 AM
...sorry if I was part of that ... :o :D

John Schreiber
08-15-2007, 10:32 AM
There's really plenty of figure in MDF.

You just need a microscope to see it.

My favorite is spalted MDF.

Ken Gartin
08-15-2007, 10:37 AM
There's really plenty of figure in MDF.

You just need a microscope to see it.

Quite beautiful actually. :)

John Bush
08-15-2007, 10:39 AM
I finally have some time now to start turnig my stockpile of spalted MDF figured crotch blanks. I'm thinking of makng a set of matching large popcorn bowls, if I can match the grain.

Jason Beam
08-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Just never work Limb MDF. It'll warp and twist and doo all sorts of dances. Come to think of it, maybe it'd be as entertaining as this thread? :)

Personally, if you can get it, I like to seek out the ultra-rare Rotary-Cut MDF Veneer.

I'd never put a stain on it, that's just blasphemy.

I saw some incredible MDF marquetry the other day- you couldn't even see the seams!

A friend of mine is a neander fellow. He's always bragging about how square he can get his MDF with his Lie Nielsen plane and chuting board.

Could you guys keep an eye out on some bee's wing MDF for me? Money's no object, here. :P

Rick Hubbard
08-15-2007, 1:09 PM
You may take this for what its worth but recently I DID buy some 2x4 sheets of 1/2 MDF that had a distinctly "mottled" of "figured" surface. When I picked the stuff off the shelf I paid little attention but was startled when I got it back to the shop and started to cut it up. I coated some pieces of it with clear shellac and, again, was quite surprised by its "figured" look. When I get home this evening, I'll try to take some pictures that will show what I mean.

Rick Hubbard
08-15-2007, 8:05 PM
Figured MDF

Ken Gartin
08-15-2007, 8:06 PM
Oh yeah! That's birdseye MDF! :D

(That looks like a chocolate bar that's lost its temper!) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/kgartin/lol.gif

[/URL][URL="http://www.amanochocolate.com/articles/sugarandfatbloom.html"]Chocolate lost temper (http://www.amanochocolate.com/articles/sugarandfatbloom.html)

James Carmichael
08-16-2007, 8:04 AM
I that like "figgur" MDF? "Figgur I'll use MDF".

Per Swenson
08-16-2007, 8:19 AM
I've been searching for that perfect finish to really "pop the grain".
Anyone ever french polish MDF?:p

Ken. Thanks for the thread.;)

Go ahead Laugh all ya want.

Fellas, I can make MDF look like leather.

Scoff all ya want.

Before some one thinks I am joking, try this.

Rub a uneven coat of shellac on a test piece.

Let it dry, rub on another. Mix a little golden brown

trans tint in the third coat. Then do it again with a tiny amount

of mahogany tint in the shellac. Use tight circles

and rub it 'till it starts to grab.

If you do it right, looks like a million bucks.

Per