PDA

View Full Version : when your fence is better than your saw...

Brian Erickson
08-14-2007, 7:00 PM
Thanks to the recent Lowe's closeout of Biesemeyer fences, I now have a fence that is much better than my little Delta Ts300 (formerly 36-600). Has anyone tried mounting a Biesemeyer to something like this? Am I just an idiot for even trying? :rolleyes:

Thomas Canfield
08-14-2007, 9:35 PM
I put a 50" commercial Biesemeyer fence on a Delta 36-630 about 4 years ago and have not regretted it. The saw does lack power at times, but it was a dramatic improvement over the original fence. The saw mechanical mechanism was tight and alignment of the blade to fence worked out well. I made the side extension as described with the fence instructions and added a router insert later. It was quite an improvement over the original cheap fence and 24" capacity.

Victor Stearns
08-14-2007, 9:54 PM
Congrats on the fence purchase! I added a Biesemeyer fence to a Craftsman saw, (Saw belonged to my grandfather). I am very happy with the fence. While the orignal mounting holes did not line up, drilling new holes just required some careful measurements.

Pat Germain
08-14-2007, 10:37 PM
I put a MuleCab Accusquare fence, as well as a few other mods, on my Craftsman TS. Sure, it would have been better to buy a better saw to begin with, but I have what I have and it works quite well. Having a good fence makes all the difference.

Ken Gartin
08-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Heh! Beat this!! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/kgartin/lol.gif (Not Biese but applicable!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/kgartin/0810070740-01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/kgartin/0811072310-00.jpg

Randal Stevenson
08-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Think of it this way (if your married). With a better fence, all you have to do is justify a new table saw to the spouse, not the whole thing.

Mark Engel
08-15-2007, 11:30 AM
Think of it this way (if your married). With a better fence, all you have to do is justify a new table saw to the spouse, not the whole thing.

There you go!

One piece at a time. That's how you get it done. :)

Karl Sumwalt
08-15-2007, 1:58 PM
I picked up a Delta TS-350 earlier this year for $100 and put a Vega fence on it for I think another $150 or $200. The saw has worked well cutting 4/4 ash, cherry and hard maple. Sure it is a $400 saw that I go ta great clearance deal on, but the fence was not something I found easy to adjust as close as I wanted. So I added the fence, and some good Infinity blades that also cost me (total) more than the saw. Since I only used a Dewalt portbale with lesser blades prior to this, I am in heaven.

Would some think I am foolish/crazy? Sure! But I am better off than I was, and still have money for wood. :D

Karl

Wayne Wheeling
08-15-2007, 2:09 PM
I just got my first saw about 3 weeks ago! A friend gave me his Rockwell Delta Contractor Saw since he had not used it in years. He upgraded to a Unisaw years ago. Now my free saw has a Forrest blade and stiffener that I bought off ebay and a new Beisemeyer Fence thanks to Lowes. So, I now have still less than $300 in my saw!

Andrew Chavchich
08-15-2007, 4:19 PM
... Am I just an idiot for even trying? :rolleyes:

I'm another very happy idiot.
Just put $80 Beisemeyer fence on my Rigid 3650 TS (one that Home Depot sells.)
What a difference!

Now I'm thinking how to utilize the existing fence which is not so bad either. Any ideas?

Matt Meiser
08-15-2007, 4:27 PM
I don't see why you wouldn't --how can a fence be "too good" for a saw? Unless of course the fence causes the saw to collapse :D Just keep your old fence so you can reinstall it should you ever decide to upgrade. The fence was most of the reason I got rid of my old Craftsman saw. Paying full price for a new fence didn't make economic sense, but for what you paid it makes sense to me.

Matt Moore
08-15-2007, 5:16 PM
I would say the fence is more important than the saw anyway. Great upgrade.