PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection knucklehead move of the week

Kyle Stiefel
08-14-2007, 3:47 PM
Hello,

I figured some of you might find this entertaining and help you in preventing the same mistake if you aren't aware of it. Well, I run a Woodsucker II cyclone on top of my waste drum. Following the filling of it up I then go take it outside and proceed to dump into a trash bag.

Hello, dum dum I was thinking as a I read a post about somebody who puts the bag in before hand and prevents all the transferring. So I am all excited about not doing the transfer and begin working and spent an hour or two ripping slats for rockers and back braces. I then thought I would open the closet where the dust collector was and to my surprise the filter and filter bag was half full of stuff. I couldn't believe it because surely I couldn't have filled up the drum. Upon further investigation my garbage bag had sucked straight up into the cyclone and prevented anything from getting in there.

So the moral of the story is put some rocks or something inside the garbage bag in the drum on a cyclone type DC system.

So much for staying clean.

Mike Heidrick
08-14-2007, 5:00 PM
What about one of those chair mats they sell for $15 that want to stay flat and are pretty heavy. Get one for wooden floors that is smooth on both sides. Roll one up and slide it around the inside diameter of the drum with the bag installed. Then when the bag is full slip the mat out of the bag before emptying. I read this somewhere or dreamt about it or made it up. Seems like it would work. I would use a decent quality bag. I plan to try this out.

Jason Beam
08-14-2007, 5:21 PM
What about one of those chair mats they sell for $15 that want to stay flat and are pretty heavy. Get one for wooden floors that is smooth on both sides. Roll one up and slide it around the inside diameter of the drum with the bag installed. Then when the bag is full slip the mat out of the bag before emptying. I read this somewhere or dreamt about it or made it up. Seems like it would work. I would use a decent quality bag. I plan to try this out.

Now that's a fine idea ... beats the heck out of putting in a cage of any kind ... I just realized how little immagination I put forth in solving the "Sucked up bag" problem before ... Now i'm outside of my own self-imposed box! :P

Jim Brecker
08-14-2007, 5:37 PM
Noted. Thanks!

Keith Outten
08-14-2007, 5:37 PM
If I'm off base here forgive me, I don't use bags on my system. If the idea is to keep the bag from being sucked into the cyclone they make a plastic sheet liner that you insert into garbage bags. These are commonly used during leaf raking season to hold bags up and open for filling. As soon as the bag is full it is easy to pull out the plastic liner. They sell the platic liners at most hardware stores. I am assuming that you intend to throw the bag away when it is full so you won't have the dirty job of emptying it.

A side note, my daughters and I have been using the plastic bag liners as snow sleds for many years. They are tough and very fast on downhill runs :)
We don't get much snow here in eastern Virginia so there isn't much need in owning a snow sled or a snow shovel for that matter :)

Tom Veatch
08-14-2007, 7:59 PM
... Upon further investigation my garbage bag had sucked straight up into the cyclone and prevented anything from getting in there. ...

Sounds to me like theres an air leak in the waste drum. Don't see how the bag can get sucked into the cyclone outlet unless there's some kind of leak allowing the cyclone to suck air through the waste drum.

Greg Crawford
08-14-2007, 10:15 PM
Did the same on my single stage. Made an awful noise. Threw that bag away and put in a new bag with a chunk of scrap 2x4 in the bottom. Problem solved. No messy recovery of an expensive item when taking out the bag.