PDA

View Full Version : Donation Question

Mike Leonard
01-25-2004, 6:51 AM
I have been asked to speak about Freedom Pens at a local turners club meeting on Tuesday. In the event someone would like to write a check as a donation how should they address it? Has there been an account set up for Freedom Pen funds? How have the rest of you dealt with monetary donations?

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-25-2004, 7:31 AM
Mike, I am receiving donations as well. I ask them to make the Check out to me, and I am using a Spreadsheet with Quattro Pro to track incoming donations and outgoing expenditures. I also am keeping a list of the names of all Donors, be it money or materials, so I can send them a personal note of thanks later on. This will enable me account for every penny should any questions arise in the future. I feel this is a good idea, and will lend a helping hand keeping track of everything when this thing really gets rolling, and we get busier than we are now. This seems to be working very well for me.

Mike Leonard
01-25-2004, 7:38 AM
Kevin, I agree thats the way to do it. However, some people may feel better about writing a check to an organization rather than an individual.

Kevin Gerstenecker
01-25-2004, 7:43 AM
That is true Mike, however I have not encountered that as of yet. I gave some thought to opening a checking account just for this purpose, and I may if donations really take off, or I encounter objections. I think I can get my Bank to waive any fees for a Freedom Pen Account. Good point, well taken.

Keith Outten
01-25-2004, 9:10 AM
Mike,

Monetary donations can be made in several ways.
------------------------------------
Corporate donations can be made to Hampton Roads Online and sent to this address;

Freedom Pens Project
C/O Hampton Roads Online
1213-h George Washington Memorial Highway
Yorktown, VA 23693
Donations may also be made to any of the members of SawMill Creek who are all serving as ambassidors of the Freedom Pen Project. If you prefer to support a local woodworker by all means you may donate in any way you feel most comfortable.
Some woodworking groups are now accepting donations to support their material costs associated with producing pens. Donations to a local group in your area is acceptable.
Some local businesses in each area have offered to provide donation boxes to support the Freedom Pen Project. Please consult the particular business for details.
The Freedom Pen Project is a grass roots program sponsored by the members of SawMill Creek Woodworkers Forums. Each and every member who chooses to get involved may make their own decisions concerning how they prefer to participate and manage their particular resources.

Ken Salisbury
01-25-2004, 12:36 PM
I have asked people who want to write a check to make the check out to "Freedom Pens". I simply endorse the check on the back with my account number and deposit in my bank account. I will also scan the checks received and save in my computer files. I have an extensive Excel spread sheet made up to track all of the bulk buy kits, etc the monies for which will flow through my own PayPay account and my personal bank account.

This way I will be able to provide detailed information on all monetary transactions I am involved with.