PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Randy and his Monster tools

Patrick Taylor
08-14-2007, 1:20 PM
I finally stopped turning pens long enough to finish my first HF! It's a shallow & wide cherry vase that came out looking pretty good. No photos yet because the oil is drying before I buff it. I will post photos as soon as the finish is complete, I promise.

Since I'm not posting photos yet, the real reason for this post is to give kudos to Randy for making such excellent tools. I used my new monster system to do this piece, and it was a real pleasure. (even more so after I realized I should be using the stabilizing bar! :o) For anyone interested in getting started hollowing by hand, and/or planning to eventually upgrade to a captive system, I highly recommend the Monster tools. I have the "set II" and it has everything I need to make hollowing easy.

Ok, I do have one question... it seems that the humidity in my garage shop has caused the beginnings of a very slight corrosion on the scraper blade and swan neck. As a result, the attachment screw is stuck. I tried WD-40 saturation, but still no luck getting the screw out. Any suggestions?

Matt Haus
08-14-2007, 2:50 PM
Maybe try some steel wool and wipe everything down with Johnsons past wax. Mine did the same thing but I haven't done anything about it. Maybe the type of wood might accelerate the process.

I have the captive system and really like it. The thing is that I keep getting some of my projects too thin! I have lost a few.:D

Paul Engle
08-14-2007, 4:12 PM
hot wrench . just enuf to get it to turn.

Randy Privett
08-14-2007, 5:28 PM
Patrick,

I hope you didn't use a torque wrench to tighten that screw:D, it should come loose with the Allen wrench. Which one of the scrapers is it. Maybe you can turn the scraper and screw at the same time. Get a rag or something to grab hold of it. CAUTION THEY WILL CUT YOU!!! DAMHIKT. That's one of the reasons I send extra fasteners. Glad you like the tool. Sorry about the stuck scraper.

Randy

Patrick Taylor
08-14-2007, 6:02 PM
Thanks Randy, it's the teardrop scraper. I'll try turning the scraper with the screw; I think that may help. That sounds safer than putting a torch to it. :)