PDA

View Full Version : Cutting board

Tom Banwell
08-14-2007, 10:51 AM
I've made a maple cutting board for my son's engagement. Am I correct in thinking it should be left unfinished?

Kim Spence
08-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Pure mineral oil is generally the recommended finish for cutting boards or butcher blocks. Generously wipe/brush it on and let the wood absorb it, then wipe off the excess. Reapply occasionally as over time washing with soap/water will remove the oil.

No need to buy the "Butcher Block Oil" from your local woodworking store, just pick up some mineral oil from your pharmacy, its the same thing and will save you 5 bucks or so.

Mike Cutler
08-14-2007, 12:15 PM
I've made a maple cutting board for my son's engagement. Am I correct in thinking it should be left unfinished?

Are you trying to conform with FDA rules?

Bread, and pastry boards are left unfinished. Fruit and vegetable boards are usually finished. Meat boards are finished, and are purpose specific. However, all can be kept unfinshed, but have to be dedicated.
Mineral oil is an approved finish. General Finishes Salad Bowl finish is also approved. An MSDS sheet, and copy of FDA approval are online at their website.

There is also a lot of info on the FDA website, and all the pertinent research documentation on wooden cutting boards, with links is available there, and on other online sources.
Interstingly enough, a wooden cutting board has less bacteria avaliable than an HDPE board due to the cellulose content and grain structure of wood removing the water from bacteria.

Art Mulder
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
You don't have to finish it, but it will make it look nicer when you present the gift.

Some mineral oil and/or beeswax (like this (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20087&cat=1,190,42950&ap=1) from Lee Valley) is my suggestion.