PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a boat too?

Tim Brooks
08-14-2007, 8:11 AM
I was wondering with all of the tools and machinery we "need" (that is what I tell my wife--"honey I need this") to do the things we want to do in the shop, how many also find time to get out on the water?

I have been trying to justify buying a boat but have found it somewhat difficult. I consider myself only a mild hobbyist when it comes to woodworking; however, since I purchased the lathe I cannot seem to find the spare time I used to have. :rolleyes:

So this got me to thinkin'. With the devotion each of you have to your shops, do you own a boat? Do you care to own a boat?

I have a 4 year old son I'd love to take out and have him feel the rush of catching a great big ole' bass! I think he'd love it. :D

Tony De Masi
08-14-2007, 8:18 AM
Tim,

I've had two boats over the years but none at this time. I actually had a contract on a third boat when my sons car crapped out and he needed another. He was away at college at the time to the timing really wasn't good. So I pulled the contract on the new boat, sold the other and have never looked back. I loved the experience of being on the water but the upkeep, especially on a boat that was kept in the water was really starting to wear me out. If I wasn't so meticulous I'm sure it would have been much easier but that's not me.

You really have to weigh how much use you will get which is tough to do if you have never had a boat. It's easy to say " I'd be out there on the water every chance I get and then some" but reality is a different story.

Tony

Joe Pelonio
08-14-2007, 8:19 AM
We know people with nice expensive boats that sit most of the time since they haven't time to enjoy them. On the other hand the ramp at the local lake that allows power boats is often backed up with people waiting to launch. We prefer the nice quiet, peaceful, smaller lakes so we just have a 15' canoe.

Chris Damm
08-14-2007, 8:31 AM
The 2 best days in a boat owners life: "The day he buys a boat and the day he sells it!".

Tim Brooks
08-14-2007, 8:35 AM
I actually had a little 15' bass boat back before we had children. When I sold it, I planned on buying another when my son was old enough to enjoy it. I will admit, however, I sold my first boat because I wanted my garage back to make saw dust. The neighborhood we live in does not permit boats in the driveway and offsite storage can be very expensive. I am looking to buy another little boat that isn't as expensive to operate but will have to find somewhere to park it when it isn't being used.

I call my self a closet woodworker as I'm not that good at it but I do enjoy the satisfaction of knowing I built "it"-whatever "it" is.

**Sigh** Oh, the divided loyalties of a man's toys!!!! :D

Tim Brooks
08-14-2007, 8:36 AM
The 2 best days in a boat owners life: "The day he buys a boat and the day he sells it!".

I've experienced this already! And I must admit it is true!

Richard M. Wolfe
08-14-2007, 10:05 AM
HAD a boat.

Like everything else, a boat (and motor) is the most worthless thing in the world.....unless you're using it. Look at the initial outlay, where and how it's going to be kept when not on the water.

How often to you plan to use it? In my case, when I got the boat I could have taken that figure and divided by four and still not come close. It's not like a workshop where you can go in for 30 minutes or an hour and piddle and then do something else. Unless you live very close to water to get ready, get there, have a decent amount of time to do something (fishing, skiing), get back and put everything up will usually mean the better part of a day.

HAD a boat. Now have a tablesaw, jointer, planer, miter saw, etc etc etc...and piles of sawdust and cutoffs I can't seem to throw away.:D

Mike Langford
08-14-2007, 10:14 AM
I've owned everything from jon boats to full dressed bass boats.....Myself, my wife, and two sons have enjoyed them all, but they all had one common problem - limited space.
By the time you loaded tackle box(es), life vests, cooler of drinks, sandwiches, fishing rods and reels, bait, etc.......you hardly had room to fish!! :eek:

In 1997 we bought a 22' pontoon! THE BEST boat we've ever owned!
Plenty of storage under the seats/couches for gear, Room on deck for a couple of large cooler, a table, and enough space for 4 - 6 adult (or a few adults and a ton of kids!) to enjoy fishing, cruising, even dancing ;) without feeling cramped!
After being in all the other boats a pontoon feels like you're on an aircraft carrier!! AND.....I can take my pontoon ANYWHERE you can take a jon boat or fancy bass boat......as long as you've got a little water under the pontoons you can "shove off" with a oar or pole to get back afloat again!!

Pontoons are the safest boats on the water too! You don't have to worry about forgetting to put the plug in (something I was famous for forgetting!) capsizing, or hitting something with your hull and causing a leak (or sinking!).....the pontoons are chambered so if you did hit anything you still wouldn't sink......

We store our pontoon at a boat storage facility only 5 miles from two large lakes. We're 30 miles from the boat storage but after a long day (or night) on the lake......we pull the boat back 5 miles to the storage, unhook, lock-up, and head to the house without having to tow a boat 30 more miles and then have to put it up extra tried!

Back when our boys were younger (us too!) and gas was cheaper, there were many days we'd get home from work, grab the youngin' and head for the lake....sometimes twice thru the week and then the weekend.
Now our boy are out and grown (and gas is outrageous) our trips to the lake are few and far between but when we do go out its still nice to have room to relax and enjoy the lake.....

.....I think you and your 4 yr old son (and your wife and friends!) would LOVE the space a pontoon offers.....plus the sides are high enough that you wouldn't worry that your son would fall overboard! :)

Tim Brooks
08-14-2007, 10:35 AM
Mike,

--Very interesting points about the pontoon boat. I live in Charleston, SC where water is abundant but fishing from the dock or the bank is not. So if one plans on wetting a hook, you must be in a boat. The idea of having a pontoon boat is very intriguing--something I need to look into a little further as space is always a concern. I also have a daughter who is almost three so room for 4 plus gear will be needed on the occasion the whole family goes.

A good friend of mine (who is a boat mechanic) and I used to go fishing frequently. But now that life has happened (had children, etc.) it is much more difficult to get our schedules together and go. In addition, we use his father's boat which adds another variable to the scenario. So now, when I'm ready to go he can't and vice-versa.

I know we men will do whatever it takes to do what we want to do and just about go to any length to do it but I was curious to just how many of you Sawmill Creekers balance the two and can enjoy both.

Curt Harms
08-14-2007, 10:36 AM
"If it flies, floats, or fools around,
RENT IT!
:D:D

John Bailey
08-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Tim,

I had 13 boats at the same time a few years ago. 9 sea kayaks, 2 canoes, a 30 ft.(40 yr. old) sailboat and a dinghy. The only one made of wood was the dinghy that I built. I've sold them all and I'm presently down to one fiberglass kayak, one beat up old canoe that's been in my family half a century, a half done 15' sailboat in the wood shop and the straight-back and moulds for an 18 ft. cedar strip kayak hangin' from the rafters. I want to go cruising in a few years, but I've taken the advice from Jim Trefethen (author of "The Cruising Life") and sold everything until the time comes to actually set sail.

My advice would be to combine your interests and build a small wooden boat. I don't like engines, so I'm building a sail & oar boat. But if you want to hang an engine on the back, there are some nice, and easily built, plans out there. Wooden Boat magazine has been running a series on beginning boat building. That would be a good place to start.

Good luck.

John

Lee Schierer
08-14-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm on my third boat. The first was a rental boat from special serivces. I got tired of waiting to see if there was one when I wanted one and rushing it back on Monday! So, I bought boat #2, a 14 foot mini bass boat. Worked great on waters in S.C. not so good for Lake Erie. I sold that boat when it wouldn't hold all of the family at one time. Picked up a good used 17' Chris Craft I/O. I still have boat #3 and the only regrets are that I didn't buy it sooner and that I still have to work for a living so I don't get to use it as often as I would like. To some extent boats are a hole in teh water into which you pour money, but not always.

To me the things you should do:

Try several boats before you buy one so you know what you like and what you don't like. Not all boats handle and ride the same.

Buy a used boat in the fall for the best deals. Look at lots before you buy one.

Get and I/O rather than an outboard - less maintenance and better reliability.

If you buy and outboard change the plugs every year, put the old set in the tackle box just in case you foul a set.

Carry a full set of safety gear (flares, signal flag, mirror and marine radio)

Take boating lessons on the rules of the road before you venture out on the water. It will be safer for you and other boaters if you do.

Always have more PFD's than people. Pets need PFD's too!

Take your boat home with you and store it indoors. It will cost less to maintain.

Fishing with kids is something the kids will remember all their life. Fishing with grandkids is even better. That smile and excitement when they pull in their first fish will be worth the price of the boat.

You'll never pay for your boat by the fish you catch. If you want fish at a good price go to the local market. Fishing and boating go best with kids and family.

Don't drink and boat....enough said on that.

I don't regret owning a boat nor the fact that it sometimes sets in the grage for several weeks and all winter between uses.

mark page
08-14-2007, 3:34 PM
First new house--five minutes from water in two directions--driveway complete with boat, three cars, and touring motorcycle. Then came divorce. Second new house--five minutes from water in two directions (less than mile away from first new house)--driveway complete with three cars (counting daughters car)--no boat and no bike:eek: :eek: Also went from two kids to five kids and child support. I'll be damned if I can figure out what's wrong with this picture:confused: ??? I might be able to get one of those 4x8 pond skimmers less trolling motor when I retire. If I invest right, I figure I can retire at about 85 yrs of age. lol.

But all laughing aside, you just have to make time for the boat to make it feasible. I'm lucky enough to be able to hitch one and be in the water in less than 20 minutes tops (when I had one). But it was definately easier to just hop on the bike for a two hour ride to relax, and more economically practical too.

Dave Anderson NH
08-14-2007, 3:45 PM
I have boats, but they are definately not machinery. 2 whitewater kayaks, a Klepper folding double kayak, a Scupper sit atop kayak, my wife's Aquaterra Chinook, and my Nordkapp HM. Back in the days when my old partner and I ran Aqua Ventures, our sea kayak inmorting and touring business, I owned at times as many as 75 sea kayaks alone. It was fun, but the decision to fold the business and go back to recreational kayaking only was one of the best I've ever made.

Mike Henderson
08-14-2007, 7:41 PM
A boat is just a hole in the water that you pour money into.

Mike

Steve Clardy
08-14-2007, 9:01 PM
I have a bass boat I inherited from my folks estate.
It has not been in the water since 1984.
Motor hasn't been run since 1994. [long story]

I've had it since 2002.
I need to get it in, get the titles straightned out, new trailer tires, get it running and cleaned up again.

Then I'll either sell it or try to trade it for a desperately needed enclosed trailer.

I may take it for one spin on the lake before it goes.;)

glenn bradley
08-14-2007, 9:49 PM
I don't own a boat, don't care to own a boat. I've had too many friends experience the two best days in a boat owner's life.

I know you all know the punch line but, here it is anyway . . . the day he bought it and the day he sold it.

Al Willits
08-14-2007, 10:33 PM
"""""""""""
I have a 4 year old son I'd love to take out and have him feel the rush of catching a great big ole' bass! I think he'd love it. :D
"""""""

That should say it all, spending a day on the lake with your kid is gotta be better than having him sit in your shop watching you run machinery he can't.

Personally boats ain't for everybody and if I lived in the middle of Texas or any state like that that has limited water I'd say a boat is probably not number one on someones list.

Minn has appox 22,000 lakes and Canada is just 6 hours away, I spend a lot of time on the water, same with many of my friends, and to say the best days are selling or buying the boat would be in error, here anyway.
Here winters are indoors for me, during the summer I'd rather be on the lake.

And you don't pour money into woodworking?????

I'd say figure what you can afford, what you'll you'll want to use it for,
and what type of boat will fit what you want to do, pontoons are nice if you live on a lake, but a bit of a pain trying to travel with them.imho
Just bought my retirement boat, three weeks and been out twice, rest of the summer/fall will be close to that also.

All about what your interested in.

Al

Greg Cuetara
08-14-2007, 11:42 PM
Boating is certinally a personal choice. Some people can see it and some can't. Some will use a boat and some won't. If I can suggest one thing it is convience. If the boat does not work every time out....it is hard to get on and off a trailer...the launches around you are a pain....etc. etc. then you won't use the boat. If the boat works and is reliable....there are good launches around you then there is more of a chance you will use the boat. I have a few boats sitting in the yard right now becuase I can't afford to keep them in the water full time so I am using the in-laws boat...my folks boat....sometimes the best boat is someone else's. But like someone else said the best thing about boating is the time you spend together with family or friends. Part of what I like is that it does take a whole day. We can never get back this time to spend with others. I spend most of my time in the shop during the winter and then most of the summer time on the water.

If you are going to look at boats I might suggest the new style of deckboats. I know starcraft has some great designs but look around. They give the benefits of a pontoon boat but also the benefits of a runabout where you can go fast and do some watersports.

Good Luck.

Dave Ray
08-15-2007, 1:01 AM
Don't know which came first, boats or woodworking. Seems I've been messing around with boats all my life, and all over the world. Presently and for 30 plus years have skippered tug boats. Have built a few wooden boats and repaired numerous wood and fiberglass boats. Except for women there is nothing more beautiful than a wooden boat. I am more partial to work type boats than yachts. Like woodworking you can mess with boats everyday of your life and still be learning new skills, new ways of doing things so much that you realize your just scratching the surface of knowledge. Boats follow me home just like puppies, according to my wife. This is good, because I have a barn full of tools just waiting to be used in extending their useful life span. A win/win situation. I can't imagine a life without woodworking or without a boat.

Frank Hagan
08-15-2007, 2:37 AM
Here's another one: BOAT = "Break Out Another Thousand"

I own a production boat now, but I built my first one. Launch day is pictured below, in a very bad scan (computer crashed, so I have to rescan my photos of it).

Building a boat is a wonderful way to combine woodworking with boating, but you have to be prepared to spend more than you would buying a used boat, and the time required to finish the project is always about 4 times the initial estimate. Like SMC is for woodworkers, there are wonderful communities of amateur boat builders out there.

John Bailey
08-15-2007, 5:27 AM
I'd put a plug in for a sailboat if kids are going to be in the picture. At the thrilling speed of 6 mph, a sailboat is a lot of safe fun for a kid. My 12 yr. old (at the time) handled my Alberg 30 better than I did. The 15ft. sailboat I'm working on right now would be perfect to get a kid in. I'd just sit back and let the kid be captain.

By the way Frank, is that a Weekender you built?

John

John Gornall
08-15-2007, 7:13 PM
I've had boats continuously for about 50 years. Most of the best days of my life have been at sea. I'm sad when a boat goes as I get attached to them. I've gone through power and sail but right now I have the best boat I've ever owned - 17 foot fiberglass kayak. Never had it on a lake and have paddled over 8000 miles (nautical) on the sea. I have 2 friends and we have gone on kayak camping trips, usually twice a year, for 20 years. All the gear for a week fits in the kayak just fine. A week trip is usually 150 to 200 miles.My wife also has a kayak and enjoys day trips. No fuel, no noise, no fumes, no trailer, and it hangs under the sundeck when I'm not using it. I have 2 little wheels that attach under it and I walk a mile to the beach, go for a paddle, and walk home again - completely human powered. A great way to spend an evening after work. I'm now looking at plans to make a wood kayak, a small one, so I can get my grandkids out on the water.

Craig Kershaw
08-15-2007, 8:30 PM
I've got a 16 hobie catamaran, which is basically a boat that is all sails.The mast is 26 feet long and supports both a main sail and a jib. I took my neighbor, a confirmed powerboater guy on the boat once in a very stiff wind. His comment when we finished for the day was whoever said sailboats aren't fun just didn't go on the right sailboat. These boats are built for speed and are a blast to race. Unlike the power boat guys I don't worry about engine overhals, oil changes, etc. Of course it doesn't move on a calm day. On calm days I can do woodworking.
I keep the boat in one of the bays of my 3 car garage, I've got a pully system rigged up so I can keep the mast up near the ceiling. I've got a choice to make in making room for upcoming large equipment purchases - should I move the boat or a car outside. Looks like its going to be a car.

Pat Germain
08-15-2007, 9:50 PM
I've never actually owned a boat myself, but I grew up around them and have had many boat-owner friends. My conclusion? If you want to know what it's like to own a boat, stand in the shower with your clothes on and tear up money. ;)

(I still remember my dad helping my grandfather rebuild the engine in his boat in Long Beach. One day a guy was walking by the dock and asked what they were doing. My dad asked the guy if he wanted a beer. The guy said he didn't drink beer, but would like whiskey. My dad obliged him. After all, it was John Wayne!)

I helped a friend work on his power boat years ago. I'm pretty good with engines. The boat had a small block Chevy. Should be cheap and easy to work on, right? Wrong. A starter which would run about $40.00 for a car was over $100 for a boat because it was the "marine version". The difference consisted of a few stainless steel washers, but it had to be Coast Guard approved. It was the same for every part on that boat.

I think the advice to rent is spot-on! Find a lake or marina where they rent boats and take full advantage of letting someone else worry about maintenance, taxes, payments and insurance. You can also forgo the hassle of transporting, launching and recovering said watercraft. :)

If after numerous times of renting, you still want to buy, you'll be able to make a better decision when doing so. I agree that pontoon boats are indeed quite roomy and practical. Together, that equals fun!

Mike Heidrick
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
I have two boats - both inherited and both Jon boats. On is a 14ft Lowe that sits outside upside down next to the pond. It came with the house we bought from my step MIL after my FIL passed.

The other I bought from my grand father 1 year before he passed - he did not have much money so I bought it so his wife's grown son would not take it out of the family. Grandpa was a guard in a couple different IL prisons back in the day - back when that was not as life threatening I guess. On 3 or 4 occasions he took the boat in and had the in-mates clean, repair, and paint it. They always kept Sgt. Hobie's boat in tip top shape for him. They even painted it red white and blue for him one year for a parade he towed it in - paint is still there a few layers down. First boating memory I have ever in my life was in that boat at about 5ysld. Kinda neat to now own it. This boat is a river boat and was taken on the Mississippi much of its life. It is a solid boat! Added a 9.9 Merc to it for state lakes. It is very fun.

Grew up cat fishing from the bank though and like nothing better than to jump on the Warrior and take the bike on a crappie or trout fishing trip. I have a nice little travel rod and spinning real setup that all fits in a small trek pole bag. That and a few spinners and a small leatherman in a box and I can be gone all day literally. Even enough room in the bag for a sandwich and a bottle of water. Pretty sweet to go fishing on a motorcycle IMO.

Mostly fish from the pond though. So easy to just walk out the door and fish. Pics at the bottom of THIS (http://mysite.verizon.net/resoh894/bloomingtonmikeswoodshop/) link. Actually did that tonight and landed a nice cat on my spinner. These fish were hungry. I feed them (cat fish food from the hatchery) in the evening and treat them almost like pets and practice mostly catch and release - take a few for food though - YUMM. I love to have people over to experience catching them, especially kids.

Greg Cole
08-16-2007, 9:47 AM
Yes, I have a boat too. Have owned a boat all my life, ok I'm only 33 but I had my first boat when I was 15. Growing up in Vermont within minutes of Lake Champlain it's easy to have a boat. Granted the winters can be long or the boating season "short"... if just want to ride around in warm weather , burn up gas and try to look good... boating is expensive and maybe a waste of money unless you live in very near proximity to water.
I grew up hunting, fishing and always being outdoors. My boats have been mainly geared towards fishing... and a much longer boating season than most. I've had my boat in the lake while there was still ice on certain areas and also been fishing in November while it's snowing. If the fish are biting, the weather is pretty much irrelevant.:D
My father always had boats growing up too... having a boat is somthing I almost take for granted as there's always been one in the driveway in my case or at a dock on "the Lake" in my father's case.
So I guess my view is simple, don't buy things you won't use... especially large expensive things that require upkeep-maintenance-storage etc.
I have a set of very nice golf clubs in a basement corner closet I've NEVER touched, but they were a gift. Too bad the gift giver didn't know my view on golf is much like Happy Gilmour's.... :D :D :D

Cheers,
Greg

Nancy Laird
08-16-2007, 9:56 AM
We HAD a boat - a 12' PortaBote. Don't know if you've ever heard of them, folded up into a 4"x18"x12" package that could be hung on the wall. Had a little electric trolling motor and a canopy. We bought it in a rush of wanting to go fishing--I think it was in the water about 6 times. It hung on the wall for 6 years - sold it YESTERDAY!!

Now to get rid of the motor home!!

Nancy
(127 days)

Al Willits
08-16-2007, 10:03 AM
""""""
I've never actually owned a boat myself, but I grew up around them and have had many boat-owner friends. My conclusion? If you want to know what it's like to own a boat, stand in the shower with your clothes on and tear up money. ;)
""""""""

Maybe try hooking into a 50" Musky once, or a 10# Walleye, or a 1.5# crappie on a 3# test ultralight system, maybe catch the sun going up or down on beautiful summer eve/morn, or drifting a bay in fall when the leaves turn color, or sitting back with a bobber out and waiting for a fish to bite while you watch eagles fly around the area your in, maybe sitting with a old friend discussing the worlds problems and which bait to use, spending time with your kids and not having a computer game going on while your talking to them, and yes, even a day with the wife enjoying the time together.

My friend, I do not think you really know what its like to own a boat, they may not be for all, but for some like me, they are by far not a waste of time or money.
I don't have kids, but I can't hardly think of a better way to be with them, truly quality time, something I think many kids today are missing.

Al

Greg Cole
08-16-2007, 10:59 AM
Al... spot on!
Some of the most fond memories I have are times spent on the boat with my Dad. Hours of trolling for Atlantic Salmon with nothing to do but shoot the _ _ _ _.... or bouncing downrigger balls for lake trout in the dog days of summer. No distractions, no phones, no TV, now where to go but 2 miles an hour ahead and nothing to do but try to catch fish. Then again there were days where ya get right into'em and do nothing but scramble from all the catching, not just filling time from the trying to catch. "that's why they call it fishin' & not catchin" was something I heard all my life as a child.
Some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets can be seen from a given body of water... the bigger the better if ya ask me.
I also have a side hobby of fly tying now from those long gone years of salmon fishing with an old fashioned "dodger n fly".....
I'm as grown up as I'lll ever allow myself to be :D ... and long gone from the parents home. I now have a 5 year old boy who this year has been able to bait his own hook, cast solo... and land fish solo, all that's left its getting his little hands big enough to where he can hold onto the slippery catches. I've had more pure joy seeing him try so hard to do these things and seeing how amazingly hard he concentrates on them. He's always asking what I am staring at when we go fishin' together.....

Greg (who was a fisherman LOOOONG before a WW'er).

Belinda Barfield
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe try hooking into a 50" Musky once, or a 10# Walleye, or a 1.5# crappie on a 3# test ultralight system, maybe catch the sun going up or down on beautiful summer eve/morn, or drifting a bay in fall when the leaves turn color, or sitting back with a bobber out and waiting for a fish to bite while you watch eagles fly around the area your in, maybe sitting with a old friend discussing the worlds problems and which bait to use, spending time with your kids and not having a computer game going on while your talking to them, and yes, even a day with the wife enjoying the time together.

My friend, I do not think you really know what its like to own a boat, they may not be for all, but for some like me, they are by far not a waste of time or money.
I don't have kids, but I can't hardly think of a better way to be with them, truly quality time, something I think many kids today are missing.

Al

I'm with Al on this one. I don't have kids but I have great memories of fishing with my folks. In the three relationships in my life I have been fortunate in that all three men loved to fish, and allowed me to tag along. I've jointly owned a couple of 16 ft bass boats, don't own one currently. I have discovered that it is also pretty nice to have a good friend who owns this:

Much less upkeep than owning it myself! :)

Jude Kingery
08-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Yep we have a boat, also no kids, two dogs who are spoiled rotten, but it's a good ol' aluminum fishing boat, maybe 18' or so. The best part about it is a new motor that actually starts immediately and then a nice quiet trolling motor where you can tool around the lake and hear all the sounds, wild life. We usually go to a lake about an hour from here where nobody but maybe one old guy fishes: no jet skies, no noise, just fishing and water and a breeze. It's lots of fun! My husband loves to fish. We just catch and release bass. If it's something really good, like fishing up north (wall-eye) we keep and eat, ha! Jude

Carl Eyman
08-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Greg is right about the sunrises and sunsets, but to me, even more important are watching the stars at night. When we had our sailboat we used to sail Green Bay WI a lot. I remember being anchored at night in a harbor far away from lights, lying on the deck, looking up at the stars - quadrillions of them! Those were happy days, but when I sold the boat was a happy day also. A boat is fun when you are able to have fun with it. If circumstances make it a chore, it is no longer fun.

Tom Hamilton
08-16-2007, 10:22 PM
Wow, you don't know how timely this one is. We bought this boat one year ago:

I was the happiest kid on the block. One year later it is for sale. We've used it 6 times during 2007 and less than 10 in the year of ownership. Between weather, travel, other commitments, workship time and who knows what else the Red Boat sits in the boat house.

Part of the problem is the 2 hours to get to the Gulf/Galveston Bay. I think that living closer to the water, like maybe 50 feet with a dock in the back yard, would yield more on the water time. Or, to commit to boating first last and always.

In any event, I love to be on the water, love fishing, like catching even better, but fitting a boat into our lifestyle proved much more difficult than I ever imagined.

Best regards,

Tom, in Houston, sadly with a boat for sale.

John W. Willis
08-17-2007, 9:00 AM
I have to agree. I had a 20' pontoon boat and loved it(for awhile). I even had time to go out on it during the week when the lake was not busy. It got old and each time I went out it seemed more like a chore than pleasure. I didn't buy a trailer but paid a docking fee at a local marina. I believe that I would have used it even less if I had to load and unload it every time off a trailer. maybe best if you can just walk out and get on it and go.

The cost of fuel was also a factor, much more than at the filling station if you buy at the dock.