PDA

View Full Version : Yet another "Best router for table" thread

Ed Beers
08-14-2007, 2:51 AM
I'm planning a new router table build with the router bolted directly the table. I'm not gong to buy a lift. There are three likely choices for 3.25 HP routers:

Milwaukee 5625
Porter Cable 7518
Triton TRA001

They are all priced closely (low 200s) so cost differences are not significant to me. I won't use any of them enough that wearing them out is an issue either. I don't plan on ever unbolting it from the table.

At this point I would pick the Milwaukee over the PC for the above table adjustment and because I have never been disappointed by the other Milwaukee tools I own.

The Milwaukee vs Triton call is much harder. I'm thinking that the above table bit changing would be really handy and that the depth adjustment is still good.

I'm pretty sure there are no bad choices among the three but if one of them is a real joy to use in my application, I'd like to know.

Ed

Jim Becker
08-14-2007, 10:01 AM
For a lift like I use, the PC is the way to go, but for direct to table and above-table adjustment, either of the other two would be my choice. A few years ago, the Triton would have been considered "new", but it's been around for awhile. That said, I think that the Milwaukee is a pretty nice tool and don't recall any real negative comments about it, at least with only part of the daily caffeine in play...

Steve Milito
08-14-2007, 10:28 AM
The best price I could find on the PC was $300 for the motor only.

I had a Freud FT3000 mounted to a table. I found that the above the table adjustment never worked well because it required a lot of torque to lift the heavy motor against the springs and chips accumulated in the ferrule. Ultimately I striped the hex and the abilty to raise the router from above went away. I gave up and went with a lift with a crank that is off to the side. It works way better but is expensive. Hopefully, the Triton doesn’t have the same issues as the Freud.

Randal Stevenson
08-14-2007, 11:03 AM
I asked another person I know about the Trition as I considered getting a second 3.25 HP router (my father and I share one). I figured the above the table changes would be good for him (he has bad knee's and I cant convince him to remove and replace the plate). The reply I got was he liked them for the handheld model, but not in the table. That suprised me.
If you can get the Milwaukee (what my father and I share now), for around two bills, go for it. I know it is easier to find, as I have only seen the big Triton two places, Amazon, and Woodcraft, and they seem to either be in short supply, or Amazon has dropped them (never seem them at my local Woodcraft, but they are online with them).

Bill Hylton
08-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Based on my own experience with the three models you've cited, and with the table design you are planning, I'd recommend the Milwaukee.

The PC is a robust machine, proven over time and much use, good collets. But the height adjustment system, while accurate and capable of very fine adjustments, is just annoying. As you turn the motor to make adjustments, the cord flops around and around, and the speed control slide moves. If you plan on turning the router on and off using its switch (as opposed to an external switch), you'll find it too changes position when you alter the height setting.

I used a Triton in a table for a time when it was first introduced in the US. I don't like the collet design, and though it isn't a major issue, given bit changing approach, the smallish base opening. For me, the deciding factor against continued use was the switch lockout system that precludes the use of an external switch. Plunging the collet through the base for a bit change can only be done with the router's switch in the off position. I wasn't willing to give up the benefits of an external switch.

I've been using the big Milwaukee in my primary router table for two or three years now. Good electronics. Excellent collets, two wrenches. Two-stage height adjustment system is great. I have the base bolted directly to the tabletop. I drop the motor out of the base and set it on the tabletop for bit changes. Open the latch, push the release button and the motor slides straight down. To reinsert the motor, push the release on the base and the motor slides up into place. I push it beyond the height I want, then use the adjustment screw to lower it to the setting I want. Never have used the T-wrench for those vaunted "above the table adjustments."

In my opinion, the model that's a joy to use is the Milwaukee.

Happy routing, man!

Bill

Ed Beers
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Based on my own experience with the three models you've cited, and with the table design you are planning, I'd recommend the Milwaukee.

The PC is a robust machine, proven over time and much use, good collets. But the height adjustment system, while accurate and capable of very fine adjustments, is just annoying. As you turn the motor to make adjustments, the cord flops around and around, and the speed control slide moves. If you plan on turning the router on and off using its switch (as opposed to an external switch), you'll find it too changes position when you alter the height setting.

I am planning on an external switch. Probably a foot switch.

I used a Triton in a table for a time when it was first introduced in the US. I don't like the collet design, and though it isn't a major issue, given bit changing approach, the smallish base opening. For me, the deciding factor against continued use was the switch lockout system that precludes the use of an external switch. Plunging the collet through the base for a bit change can only be done with the router's switch in the off position. I wasn't willing to give up the benefits of an external switch.

That is a helpful observation that I hadn't realized. Do you think this could be
modified? I would still want an external switch since I will turn it on and off much more often than I will change bits.

I've been using the big Milwaukee in my primary router table for two or three years now. Good electronics. Excellent collets, two wrenches. Two-stage height adjustment system is great. I have the base bolted directly to the tabletop. I drop the motor out of the base and set it on the tabletop for bit changes. Open the latch, push the release button and the motor slides straight down. To reinsert the motor, push the release on the base and the motor slides up into place. I push it beyond the height I want, then use the adjustment screw to lower it to the setting I want. Never have used the T-wrench for those vaunted "above the table adjustments."

That was my initial plan although I would drill the hole for the T-wrench.

In my opinion, the model that's a joy to use is the Milwaukee.

Happy routing, man!

Bill

Ed

Dick Latshaw
08-14-2007, 2:27 PM
Like Bill Hylton, I have my 5625 base bolted directly to the table (Thanks Pat Warner!). I drilled the top for 'above the table' adjustment but have never used it. Just too easy to reach down and adjust it from below, and no looking for the wrench. I too change bits by dropping the motor assembly out of the base. Works great.

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-14-2007, 5:31 PM
I have not used the Milwaukee Router but it's hard to complain about them since, happily and with never a complaint, I own their 3/8" hole shooter , 1/2"Hammer drill, 1/2" right angle drill, 1/2" hole shooter, and their heavy duty reciprocating saw.

Do have bog dog triton in a table and my mortiser and I like it rather well. Taken out of the table it's pretty much a kluge of a beast.

One thing that I wish they did better is the depth stop. I can not tighten the set screw enough by hand so that it actually stays tight. The little rotating part that they have for the depth stop is a cheap cheesy bit of plastic trash and I threw mine in the trash. If milwaukee's is better I say go with them.

The triton is pretty loud but it's a beast so that is expected. It does have a rather nice micro winder for up and down in addition to the winder you grab with your whole hand. They are both nice. I use up down feature in the table rather a lot. I saw one guy who did a review who thought he had to take the winder mechanism off the triton to put it in a table and I just screwed up my face reading that 'cause that is the opposite of what one should do. The winder is really nice under the table sans a $300.00 lift.

Scot Ferraro
08-14-2007, 8:41 PM
I agree with what others have stated on the Milwaukee -- solid performer, lots of power and very easy to adjust in the table. It also has a very big bit opening so it is capable of swinging the largest of bits without issue.

Scot

Allen Bookout
08-14-2007, 9:12 PM
I use the Milwaukee 5625 bolted to a Woodpeckers plate and since it has a large opening with the rings out I change the bits with the router in the table with offset wrenches. I also use a foot activated foot off/on switch like you are planning on using. I would use the exact setup again. What a pleasure this thing is to use.

Mathew Nedeljko
08-14-2007, 11:56 PM
I have the 5625 bolted directly to a bench dog cast iron extension mounted on the left side of my table saw. I also use it with a foot switch and drop the motor straight out of it for bit changes. Echo what others say about the power, electronics, and collets all being excellent.

The only thing that takes some getting used to is that it takes a few seconds longer than I would expect for the motor to wind down and the bit to stop spinning. They must have put really good bearings in this machine!

Ed Beers
08-15-2007, 1:01 AM
Everybody seems to like the red one for my situation and it was my first choice going in so I just ordered a 5625 from Heavy Duty Tools. $235 shipped.

Thanks for all of the replies.

Ed

Ed Beers
08-24-2007, 4:21 AM
Just got my new 5625. Looks good but I was a little surprized that it didn't come with a 1/4" collet. Looking at the Milaukee website, it wasn't supposed to either but I can buy one for around $25.

scott spencer
08-24-2007, 7:56 AM
Sounds like a good choice for your needs Ed. I've had the 5625 (http://www.epinions.com/content_245903494788) for a while now, and have been pleased with it overall.

Dwain Lambrigger
08-24-2007, 3:56 PM
The closest I found was $249. with a $25.00 mail in rebate; and that was for a reconditioned unit! Are you just checking Amazon daily? Are there other great spots to look on the web that I am missing? This is the router I want for my table, but I want the best deal possible. Your help is appreciated.

Ed Beers
08-24-2007, 5:01 PM
The closest I found was $249. with a $25.00 mail in rebate; and that was for a reconditioned unit! Are you just checking Amazon daily? Are there other great spots to look on the web that I am missing? This is the router I want for my table, but I want the best deal possible. Your help is appreciated.

The best price I found was from www.heavydutytools.net. $229 + $6 shipping for a new 5625-20. Be aware that it comes equipped for table use. The only acessories are: 1/2" collet, 2 collet wrenchs, and a 3/8" tee wrench. No case, guides, or 1/4" collet. The only things to discard when using it in a table are the handles and subbase. Note that this is how Milwaukee is now bundling it. I think they previously had a different dash number that came with more stuff.

Now that I have it in hand, I can't imagine chosing it over my PC690 for any handheld work where it would be big, heavy, and scary with any bit big enough to need it so I think they made the right call to can the extras if it helps keep the price down. I would like the 1/4" collet though.

I have bought several factory reconditioned Milwaukee tools and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I'm not sure if they come with the full 5 years warranty though.

Ed

Mike Heidrick
08-24-2007, 5:23 PM
Mark at HDT is the best. You find a great place to order routers an other hand power tools from. He rocks.

I got the 1/4" collar for mine, pretty handy when you need to run small bits in the table.

My 5625 is mounted in a PRL and I love the combo..

Cary Swoveland
08-24-2007, 10:24 PM
...I used a Triton in a table for a time when it was first introduced in the US...For me, the deciding factor against continued use was the switch lockout system that precludes the use of an external switch. Plunging the collet through the base for a bit change can only be done with the router's switch in the off position. I wasn't willing to give up the benefits of an external switch...

I'm not sure if I understand this objection, Bill. While it's true that I have to reach under the table to turn off the Triton's switch to change bits (above the table), after the bit change I turn the Triton's switch on, then use an external switch until the next bit change.

I've hooked a digital gauge to my Triton, which makes setting the bit height fast and accurate. I use just the big knob, intended for gross adjustments, but it's not hard to get within 0.001". I've had no problems with the locking lever.

Having said this, I expect I'd go with the Milwaukee or the PC with a lift if I were to make the purchase today. It is undeniably convenient to do everything above the table.

Incidently, for use in a router table, Triton advises that the plunge spring be removed. Elsewhere in this thread, Steve Milito cited a problem working against the spring in a Freud FT3000 router (when the router was mounted in a table). I wonder if the spring in that router could not be removed.

Cary

John Seiffer
08-25-2007, 11:34 AM
A similar discussion can be found here
http://www.woodworkforums.com/archive/index.php/t-17702.html

Gary Keedwell
08-25-2007, 11:44 AM
The best price I found was from www.heavydutytools.net (http://www.heavydutytools.net). $229 + $6 shipping for a new 5625-20. Be aware that it comes equipped for table use. The only acessories are: 1/2" collet, 2 collet wrenchs, and a 3/8" tee wrench. No case, guides, or 1/4" collet. The only things to discard when using it in a table are the handles and subbase. Note that this is how Milwaukee is now bundling it. I think they previously had a different dash number that came with more stuff.

Now that I have it in hand, I can't imagine chosing it over my PC690 for any handheld work where it would be big, heavy, and scary with any bit big enough to need it so I think they made the right call to can the extras if it helps keep the price down. I would like the 1/4" collet though.

I have bought several factory reconditioned Milwaukee tools and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I'm not sure if they come with the full 5 years warranty though.

Ed
Just went to order from HDT and their out of stock:(

Gary K.