PDA

View Full Version : Sawtill finished

Eric Hartunian
08-13-2007, 10:33 PM
Here is the companion post to my saw handle progress. I finally got around to building something to store my saws. Some scrap maple, and a bit of cherry. 100% built with hand tools (ok, I lied, the plywood back board was cut on the table saw...but the rabbet that holds it wasn't)!
As always, I welcome any critiques.
Eric

glenn bradley
08-13-2007, 10:54 PM
I don't do a lot of Neander stuff and therefor don't have many hand saws. I saw something similar to your till and wanted to build on anyway; just 'cause it is so cool. Great job.

James Mittlefehldt
08-14-2007, 7:57 AM
I dunno Eric, looks good and all but not many slots there, what do you do when your collection, er tool supply exceeds the allotted space.

Looks good though, nice job.

Terry Bigelow
08-14-2007, 8:45 AM
I dunno Eric, looks good and all but not many slots there, what do you do when your collection, er tool supply exceeds the allotted space..
So true. I had planned on building a hand plane cabinet about a year and a half ago and actually started it. Then I had maybe 10-12 assorted planes...now how many? I'm not even sure. Way too many. But at least I've narrowed it down to the ones I use most and have a better idea what the cabinet should look like. I am actually working out the details of a saw till as well and will definitely leave some room...just in case;) . Anyway, looks great, nice job. Where are you going to put it? Looks like there's not too much room! By the looks of it you need to make a "chisel till" next!!!!

Eric Hartunian
08-14-2007, 11:36 AM
You see, that is flawed logic to think that because I have only so many slots left, that I can only acquire that many more saws (or planes, chisels, etc). The correct way to approach this is to say"when(not if) I get more saws, what should my next saw till look like?"
Of course, my wife thinks my logic is flawed, too.:rolleyes:
Thanks for the comments,
Eric

Kevin Adams
08-14-2007, 1:17 PM
Hi Eric--

Nice looking till. I actually have a question about your work bench. Did you make it? Is it possible to see another photo or two? I'm planning one right now (well, I'm kind of waiting for Chris Schwarz's book to come out soon!) and want to incorporate a leg vice, too.

Thanks.

Kevin

Dave Anderson NH
08-14-2007, 3:58 PM
Nicely done Eric. My only criticism is the same as everyone elses. It is already too small. I made mine with half a dozen extra slots and it was filled only a year later.

Kevin French
08-14-2007, 4:46 PM
Eric mine holds 40, BUT How many different saws can you use? Even with places for 40 I still swap out for new ones.

I have a nice 26" Back saw, a couple of nice CCs and 2 Rips, then a few smaller saw that I use, the rest, more for show.

Sometimes smaller is better. THERE, I'VE SAID IT: I think I've turned a corner here. I'm still going to keep my till, my plane till holds 27, but when I make my egg beater till, 4 drills tops.

Greg Crawford
08-14-2007, 8:37 PM
Can you imagine how many great saws (and handles) there would still be if more people stored their saws that way? That's really nice.

Steve Clardy
08-14-2007, 8:42 PM
Nice job Eric ;)

Eric Hartunian
08-15-2007, 1:08 AM
Ok, here is a pic of my workbench, sorry for my inept photo abilities. Yes, I built it myself. The base is stud grade softwood, with pine panels set into grooves. I never finished the bottom. Iraq and some other projects got in the way, so I put together a couple quick MDF drawers on slides. One of these days, I will put a set of hardwood drawers in the base... The top is 8/4 ash, edge glued, with an apron all around. The ends are pretty heavy breadboards. The tailvise is pretty traditionally built (I think) and has begun to sag a bit. THe leg vise is a monster. Holds onto boards like nothing. But, it is a pain. I hate having to bend down and adjust the peg at the bottom to keep the jaws roughly parallel. The bench is about 6' long by 24" wide. I think one of these days I will build another, but I am in the Army, and moving every few years isn't easy to do with a shop full of tools, let alone 2 big benches. The new bench will have a bit more length. It will also have a QR front vise with a large wood jaw. I will put some kind of planing stop on the end, and fore go the tailvise. Or, I may just build something like the Roubo bench and use holdfasts. That design has lots of appeal to me. Who knows, but for now, this bench is serving its purpose well.
Thanks for looking.
Eric

Kevin Adams
08-15-2007, 1:13 PM
Hi Eric--

Thanks for the photo and further detail on your bench. You did a nice job and have given me some more ideas. I'm definitely going with the leg vice, but will pass on the tail vice. My bench will be mostly for making Windsor chairs so I really won't need more than the leg vice and maybe a machinist vice on the other end.

I didn't realize you were in the army, so thanks for your service!

Take care,
Kevin

Wallis Hampson
08-15-2007, 7:33 PM
Who was the manufacturer of the tail-vice hardware. I hate to hear it is sagging. I too am in the process of getting ready to build a bench and just looking for ideas.

Eric Hartunian
08-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Well, hate to say it, but I think it is sagging because of how I built it. I think all of this tailvise hardware comes in two forms. One is the plain screw, and the other is a plate with a screw. The plate is probably the way to go, as it screws to the bench and seems to keep things true. The plain screw, like what I have, needs to be built as a traditional tailvise (see the Workbench Book, I think Klause's bench details it). A built up tailvise just seems prone to sagging. I think overall, tailvises provide a lot of utility, but I think they are on the fragile side. YMMV.
Eric