PDA

View Full Version : Saw handle progress

Eric Hartunian
08-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Hi all,
This is a no-name steel-backed saw I picked up off ebay for about $10. I replaced the handle with one out of paduak. I'm having a tough time with the lambs tounge carving, but other than that, I think it looks alright. Took about an hour to joint, shape and sharpen. I didn't set the teeth, because there was still some set left from the previous sharpening, and I wanted a finer kerf. Critiques welcome.
Eric

Jim Becker
08-14-2007, 9:56 AM
Wow...that's a beautiful handle you crafted. Much to be admired about it!

Mike Cutler
08-14-2007, 11:59 AM
Nice Job Eric.

I just picked up a Disston, 10", Model 4, and a Jackson 14" backsaw. I'd like to put nicer handles on both of them. I think I'll use yours for inspiration, if it's alright with you.

Bill White
08-17-2007, 10:14 AM
Handle looks good. Smooth it up to your taste and wax it like crazy. The padauk will turn to a beautiful dark red. The more wax you use the softer the grip will feel. I have done two this way, and love 'em both.
Bill

Dave Anderson NH
08-17-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi Eric,
I might very well be wrong on this, but I wonder if the really cut back top on the handle might be too big to offer adequate support and "locking in" action for the steel back of the saw. I'd be afraid that it might shift slightly. Maybe Mike Wenzloff, who has lots more experience, could chime in here and either verify or dismiss my concern.

Either way, you've done a really gorgeous job on the shaping and finishing. It's relly pretty.

Eric Hartunian
08-17-2007, 3:05 PM
Thanks Dave,
There is about 1/4" or so of the steel back fully supported. It is pretty hard to tell in the pick. I never thought to compare that to my other saws. I suppose time will tell if that was enough support or not.
This was my first saw re-handle job. While it wasn't especially difficult, I learned a ton of what I would do the next time.
Thanks for the comments,
Eric