PDA

View Full Version : Round Dusthood?

Doug Shepard
08-13-2007, 9:38 PM
OK. Been looking at dust hoods. The first one I'm trying to tackle is for the belt/disc combo. Pretty much most of what I've seen is a lot bigger than what I had in mind. But I got to wondering about something. How critical is it that an auxiliary collector be a funnel shaped hood? Could a piece of 4" PVC capped on the end and an opening slit cut into work for sucking up the extra belt or disc dust that the machine port misses? I'm thinking along the lines of a 90-120 degree pie section taken out of the PVC wall maybe about 8" long. It would sure be a lot more compact than all the hoods I've spotted so far.
If that's too severe a direction change, what about taking a 4" PVC 90 degree elbow and cutting diagonally through the bend at 45 degrees? At least that would have the opening in the same direction as the air flow.

Just fishing for ideas for something more compact than a large funnel shaped hood. I'd like to mount this without a stand on the back side of the belt and the flex and hood sort of between the belt and disc where I could pivot it to point at one or the other.

Edit:
I have no clue how I managed to place this in the store forum. Can this get moved to the General WW area?