PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Selection

Gene Jordan
08-13-2007, 9:00 PM
Hi Everyone,
I hope that I am posting this in the correct place on the forum.
I have just become a new member and am looking for a small lathe.I've seen a few mini lathes Rikon, Jet, and General International to date. The General 25-200 Maxi Variable Speed seems the most impressive to me. I'm not new to woodworking but I am new to turning. I've used the search function (possibly not correctly) but have not come to a conclusion as of yet. I suppose that everyone has a favorite brand, but as with any equipment there must be some brands or models to avoid.
Any help or opinions would certainly be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Gene

Keith Burns
08-13-2007, 9:15 PM
Welcome to the Creek Gene !! A great place with a lot of great people.

As far as which lathe to get you will get a lot of different opinions. The only thing I will say is to stay away from the "off brands" like Grizzly and Harbor Freight. The Jet I'm sure will be the most recommended but the others are good as well.

Now, go get one and start having some fun !

Jim Stoppleworth
08-13-2007, 9:25 PM
Gene,

Welcome to the forum!

What you will want in a lathe depends on what you think, at least initially, what you want to turn. 3 years ago I wanted to try turning. Didn't have a clue, as to what I wanted to turn, or if I would even like it. I was more looking for a hobby for retirement than anything else. I looked at the mini's but then made the decision to get a small larger lathe, the HF model 34706. It turns out I fell in love with turning. For 2 1/2 years the little HF did everything that was asked of it. In February of this year I upgraded to a Powermatic 3520B. The Mustard will most likely be my last lathe. The HF is now a permanent Beall buffing station and is used regualarly for that purpose. I do mostly bowls, pepper and saltmills, ornaments, and a variety of other things.

Jim

Gary Garmar
08-13-2007, 9:55 PM
Gene; here's what has happened to me and my lathe(s). I started out with a lathe because it was interesting and I felt it could be that hobby I could stay with through retirement. I started with a Sears lathe that required me to stop the lathe and change the belt position to change speeds. This soon became a problem and was causing me to loose interest in turning. So, I bought a Nova 3000. Excellent lathe with more and better features and I was excited once again about turning. Along comes a grandson who has shown an aptitude for all things mechanical and impresses me with his ability to reason and understand the lathe. I now have purchased a PM 3520b and couldn't be more pleased. What a lathe. I'm excited, my grandson is excited and together we are going to make a REAL MESS in the shop, ah, studio. I think what I mean to say is two things; buy a lathe that really excites you and will be what you want for well into the future and two; lay out the maximum you feel you can afford and not have to update when you discover you want to turn bigger objects. BTW, I still use all three lathes, just use the Mustard more.

Bill Stevener
08-13-2007, 9:59 PM
Hi Gene,
Welcome to the Creek. You say you are looking for a small lathe. Well that depends on HOW SMALL. My smallest, well almost smallest, lathe is a Marklin, maid in Germany. Quite old, no longer maid, around $250.00.
I run it in my mini shop, it's only 6" long, about 2.5" tall. Runs good. :)

I am sure you will find many agree the Jet mini is a fine lathe, although a number of folks have others. I like my Jet mini vs.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>

Steve Schlumpf
08-13-2007, 10:34 PM
Gene - Just wanted to stop in and Welcome you to the Creek!

As far as lathes - not knowing what area you are from - do you know if there is a turning club anywhere near you? If so, there are always members upgrading their equipment and you may be able to pick one up fairly cheap - at least it would be something to start out with. Then once you have been turning for a little while you will know what it is you really want to turn and can buy a lathe to handle that type of turning.

What ever you decide - have fun with it and keep posting!

Jon Lanier
08-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Welcome to the Creek Gene !! A great place with a lot of great people.

As far as which lathe to get you will get a lot of different opinions. The only thing I will say is to stay away from the "off brands" like Grizzly and Harbor Freight. The Jet I'm sure will be the most recommended but the others are good as well.

Now, go get one and start having some fun !

Why stay away from Grizzly?:confused:

Gene Jordan
08-13-2007, 11:37 PM
Thank you to all that replied. I took a class in turning at my nearest Woodcraft store (100 miles away) and think that I would like to try some turning. I know that a turning club meets at that location, but it's a little far for me to attend on a regular basis. I suppose that any name brand lathe would probably suffice for my purposes--especially since I really don't know what they are at this time. I was thinking some pens for sure, and there was an end table that I would like to try to make legs for. I didn't see that anyone said anything about the General 25-200 VS maxi lathe one way or the other. It seems to have some heft for a small lathe and I understand that a bed extension is available. The 3/4 H.P. motor is somewhat bigger than the Jet or Rikon brands.
Thanks again as any input is very much appreciated.
Gene

Joel Sauder
08-14-2007, 12:02 AM
Gene,

I bought a General Maxi-Lathe a few months ago. While I have been too busy a work to give it much of a work out, from what I have seen so far, I have nothing but good things to say about it. I bought it over a Jet Mini because I was pretty sure I was not going to be able to upgrade in a year or 2 like so many do around here. I felt that it had just a bit more capacity than the Jet to make it worthwhile. I am very happy with the choice I made.

Gene Jordan
08-14-2007, 12:22 AM
Joel,
Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear from someone who actually owns the lathe that I am interested in and likes it. Like yourself, I want to get a decent sized lathe that I can actually do several things on, because an upgrade may not be in the cards for some time. The General seems to have a bit more capacity and horsepower. Since I am new to turning, I didn't want to tie up thousands of dollars in a machine that I really wouldn't or possibly couldn't use that much.
Gene

Marvin Hasenak
08-14-2007, 1:59 AM
If you have an amount that you plan on spending for everything best thing to consider first is all of the extras that you will need, sharpening system, chisels, chucks and the list goes on. Look at the options on them and then try to match your wants with your needs and budget. A good inexpensive lathe will cost in the $300 range all of the extras will cost more if you are not careful.

TYLER WOOD
08-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Gene,
I don't own the maxi, but I do own a GI. I have the large 650 vs. I would not trade this lathe if you offered me a PM and $1200 dollars that I bought the lathe for. Ok maybe for that deal I would. But just saying the quality of the is comperable to most other lathes in the same price range and a little higher, but for the lower end of the price range. Plus their customer service is second to none, both for me and others. (read post on general woodworkers area about a planer by Mr. Hermann) They stepped up when they did not have to. Tha speaks volumnes to me. Their products are hefty and built to last, even if their bosy designs are not the most up to date. I love my General Int. and have put it to the test and it aced it!!

Dennis Peacock
08-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Good morning Gene and Welcome to SMC.

Many people start out with a Mini-Lathe and then after some time has passed.....maybe 3 months, or even 3 years, they decide to move up to a larger lathe. I went through 3 lathe buys before I finally settled on the lathe that I will have until long after I retire for good. ;)

Here's something to think about:
1. Jet you a Jet Mini VS lathe and use it, learn on it, experience turning on it.
2. Never let go of the Mini...sometime down the road, you'll want to use the mini again for some of your smaller turnings just because it's a nice setup, nice machine, and it portable. Think about turning on the mini out under a large shade tree on a nice fall or spring day with a gentle breeze at you back. OK....my day dreaming has stopped now. ;)
3. Eventually, most will upgrade to a larger lathe because they have out-grown their lathe or desire to do more and larger turnings.

Think about "what you want to do on the lathe" and then ask about "which turning tools should I buy", and then ask "what accessories will I need".

The "what you want to do on the lathe" will determine what type of lathe, what size of lathe, and "which turning tools you'll need". Remember that turning bowls requires a different type of turning tools from the tools necessary for spindle turning.
The "what accessories will I need" can then better be answered once the primary question is answered and a lathe choice is made.

I guess I've rambled on enough...Best of luck to ya Gene and let us know what you decide and if we can help you spend any more of your money. :D

Tom Collins
08-14-2007, 11:12 AM
A good inexpensive lathe will cost in the $300 range all of the extras will cost more if you are not careful.

Give me a break Marvin, I am so far past the cost of my lathe in accessories it isn't funny.:D

Gene, I own the Delta Midi and have turned on the Jet and Rikon in classes at Woodcraft. The store is only about 6 months old and at the last class the Rikions gave us a variety of problems. Otherwise they all seemed to perform acceptably. I have to stop my lathe and move the belt to change speeds but it is a quick, easy process. Maybe as my skills and experiences progress it will become an annoyance but for now no problems.

Tom Collins

Pete Jordan
08-14-2007, 12:08 PM
Hi Gene,

I own the Maxi and have been happy with it but I use it as my second lathe.

I have only done a couple of bowls on it and use it mainly for small things.

I think you will like it.

Pete

Joyce Baldauf
08-14-2007, 1:10 PM
Gene,

Welcome to the black hole of woodturning:eek::D!

Something you might want to think about since you mentioned a bed extension. When you add it all up, lathe, stand, bed extension, it starts getting up there. Why don't you look at a lathe that comes with a bed and doesn't need an extension? I bought a Rikon shortly after they came out. I also got the bed extension and a stand for them. The next year, I bought a Jet 1642 VS 1.5hp. I love it. The Jet is a full size lathe. They are currently selling for around $1400.00 .

Now you might say, "Well, what if I don't like woodturning?":eek: Hardly likely, but a slim possibility. The Jet lathes are such good machines that you would have no trouble selling it if you wanted to. Jet also has less expensive lathes that also come with longer bed and stands and 1hp.

It's just that there are so many things you need to buy to really get into turning that why not go for the whole enchilada up front (if you can afford it)? Then if you ever do upgrade your lathe, it will be farther down the line than 3 or 6 months. It might even be 3 or 6 years or more.

Just my thoughts on the subject. I still use both my lathes but could get along just fine with the Jet alone.

Joyce

TYLER WOOD
08-14-2007, 2:01 PM
Gene,
I think you can probably see a pattern here, Either get a high quality mini if you can't afford a larger lathe. Or get a larger lathe if you can afford it. I have yet to see anyone who stood in front of a lathe and put tool to wood, not fall in love. (in-laws included HEHEHEHE, revenge is sweet) You will slip in the vortex or you can jump head first. It is actually cheaper in the long run to dive in. Buy the GI 650, which is a great machine and don't look back. Even if (highly unlikely) you find you don't like it. You can probably recoup all but about 100-200 of you original price by selling it off. This goes for any lathe. Turners know the cost of them and will gladly take the slight discount as a great deal! Include your tools for a little extra and wallah you can just about break even.

But that won't happen, you have already lost your foot hold and everyone here is grabbing at your heel waiting to pull you in. So go ahead if you can afford the biggie, get it. If not you WILL upgrade, we promise, and we warned you.

Patrick Taylor
08-14-2007, 2:10 PM
If not you WILL upgrade, we promise, and we warned you.

LOL... true, so true. :)

Dennis Peacock
08-14-2007, 3:09 PM
So go ahead if you can afford the biggie, get it. If not you WILL upgrade, we promise, and we warned you.

Maaannnn, no truer words have ever been spoken!!! :D

Ken Fitzgerald
08-14-2007, 3:21 PM
When I buy my Mustard....How can it be an upgrade if it's the 1st lathe I've ever PURCHASED?:D

Gene Jordan
08-14-2007, 5:48 PM
Hi Guys,
Wow, all of you have given me a lot to think about. I really didn't know what to expect when I first posted on this forum, but the reception has been great. Everyone has been extremely friendly to a newcomer like myself. I really can't thank everyone enough for all of the excellent information you have offered.
It looks as though this might get to be a very expensive hobby.
Thanks again.
Gene

Brodie Brickey
08-14-2007, 7:52 PM
Gene,

This hobby can get very expensive just like any other hobby as you chase the latest and fanciest things.

I'd suggest a couple things:
TRAINING
If your local community college has a turning program sign up for it. It will be relatively inexpensive and you can use their tools and lathe to start. You can gain valuable instruction from them and help to crystalize in your mind what you want to do when turning. If that's not possible, check your local WoodCraft & Rockler stores. They often offer classes that are 1 or 2 days in length, a little pricier ($75-100) but only a couple hours long. They should give you a basic grounding and a sense of whether you really want to tackle this kind of addiction...uh hobby.

The American Association of Woodturners (woodturner.org) has over 200 affiliated clubs throughout the US and Canada. If there is a club near you, it is well worth checking them out. Most turners would be happy to show off their lathe and let you try it out. The club may also get discounts from local suppliers (mine does) and that can be a boon for the pocket book.

SmartFlix & Netflix both rent some turning DVDs. Your local club probably has a larger library to choose from though.

SETUP
A basic setup with a good mini lathe will be under $500.
- Jet Mini - $230-300
- Basic Spindle turning set from Harbor Freight - $40
- 1/2" bowl gouge $45-60
- Grinder if you don't have one (prefer slow speed 1750, but High speed will work) 76-99 (WoodCraft has one with Aluminum Oxide wheels already on it.) You could use a diamond stone to some degree to sharpen the edge, but you will need a grinder soon.
- Sandpaper 80 - 400. $20
- Faceshield AND protective glasses $10-20

A chuck is a nice to have, some will disagree, but you can turn bowls without one. If you get into pen turning, you can skip the bowl gouge and get a pen mandrel instead ($10) but then you can buy pen kits.

LATHES
Lathes tend to get expensive based on two things. The amount of swing over the bed (10" swing means I can turn a 10" bowl) and the ability to go slower. Going slow become really important when you turn larger pieces because as we all know from physics 'the speed at the rim isn't the same as the at the center'. Those larger bowls (14"+) need to be able to slow down to 250-350 RPM.

The Jet Mini even without the Variable Speed (VS) will turn some nice bowls at 500 RPM. They are work horses and are fantastic for pens, bottle stoppers, mugs, baby rattles, tops, gavels, etc. Most places that teach turning have the Jet Mini, in part for cost, but also because its a solid little lathe.

Delta despite making some fine woodworking tools, doesn't seem to have the knack for lathes. The one I had was problematic in the area of the bearings, but it may have been that I exceeded design expectations or I got a bad lathe (46-715). I now turn on a Powermatic, but its also a significantly more expensive lathe.

IN CONCLUSION
I know I, and others, are throwing a lot at you all at once. This can be a really fun hobby that allows you to make great gifts to others as well as ease your soul after a rough day at the office. For me, turning is relaxing. The ability to put a piece of wood on the lathe and turn the excess away until I'm down to what I want to leave, its just great.

If you're in the Southern California area, I highly recommend you check out Cerritos College. They have a great woodturning program on weekends and/or week nights. If not there, hopefully you can find another program in your area. After a semester turning different things and receiving instruction, its much easier to have a feel for what areas of turning you are really interested in and wish to pursue.

Marvin Hasenak
08-14-2007, 8:09 PM
It can get only as expensive as you want it. There is a great big difference between the words "want" and "need". If you can control the "wants" and spread the cost of those accessories you can be turning for a reasonable amount. Or do I need the $300 chuck or will one of the others that cost $150? You can buy that $300 chuck and then pay extra for each set of jaws or you can get a Barracuda 2 for $150 that comes with all of the jaws will get you learning and turning. Do I need the turning tools that cost $40 each or can I learn on the Harbor Freight set of 8 that costs $40? You may want the $40 each tools, but the $40 set will get you turning and learning. And the list of accessories go on.

That is my pennies worth that with inflation will get you my opinion when you add a nickle.

Marvin

Mike A. Smith
08-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Give me a break Marvin, I am so far past the cost of my lathe in accessories it isn't funny.:D

Amen brother! :eek:

Steve Campbell
08-14-2007, 10:37 PM
Gene I have the General 25-100 witch is the non variable speed maxi. I love the thing. Now that I have had it about a year I wish I would have gone the variable speed model.
You are going to like that lathe a lot.
I must agree though that I have only had mine for a year and I am already looking for a bigger lathe.

Good luck Steve

Mike Peace
08-14-2007, 11:58 PM
Re: the recommendations for the set of 8 Harbor Freight tools- There is a set of 8 with red handles for about $50 which seem to be only available in their retail stores. It is a much better set than the set for $36.99 ITEM 47066-4VGA. Both use HSS but the more expensive set is a little heavier, has a better spindle gouge and I was told by an experienced turner that it appears to be a higher grade of steel. I could not locate the better set on their internet site. My 2 cents.

Patrick Taylor
08-15-2007, 12:14 AM
... Do I need the turning tools that cost $40 each or can I learn on the Harbor Freight set of 8 that costs $40? You may want the $40 each tools, but the $40 set will get you turning and learning.
Marvin

Careful Marvin, I've been burned buying cheap tools (and I'm not the only one). Sometimes (obviously this is case by case) it's cheaper in the long run to buy the better (and usually more expensive) tool the first time.

Jude Kingery
08-15-2007, 1:15 AM
Gene, actually Marvin's given you very sound advice - I've used a 1938 lathe of my Dad's with an old electric motor he gave me, hinge motor mount (weight of the motor pulls tension on the belt) on a stout bench my husband built; and manual change belt on a multiple size pulley for about 8 years now. Think the only "new" things on it are a face plate my brother-in-law machined for me - as the spindle drive we really did wear out when we were kids - and a new belt.

Researched what I really wanted to do with a bigger lathe for about 2 years before I made a purchase and went with a great machine (VB) and one nice chuck that'll hold what I need to do (Axeminster) and a couple face plates.

But I still find I use both - the little lathe for all my spindle work, candlesticks, and the VB for large bowls, platters. So I think it's important to consider what you really want to do. Not biggest and best, but what you'd like to do and your budget and go from there. I have a cheapie set of little tools I still use to this day to do various things, and then I have a few very nice HSS gouges to do bowls and hold an edge very well. So sure, take Marvin's advice - your accessories budget included in your lathe purchase and depends on what kind of work you want to do - and it's really doable at a reasonable rate.

Promise you, some of my best work has been turned on a 1938 machine with a 1/2 HP motor and a really cheapie set of $12.00 tools. As you refine your skills then pick and choose what suits your needs. Just a few suggestions is all. Best to you. Jude

Marvin Hasenak
08-15-2007, 1:34 AM
Careful Marvin, I've been burned buying cheap tools (and I'm not the only one). Sometimes (obviously this is case by case) it's cheaper in the long run to buy the better (and usually more expensive) tool the first time.

Patrick, I said nothing about buying the cheapest tools that you can buy. I said you do not need all of the fancy tools that are generally promoted as being needed to learn to turn. The first time I used a lathe in the early 60s we had a faceplate, limited number of chisels, and a wet stone to sharpen the chisels. In class we made candlesticks, bowls etc.

The point I am trying to get across is that you do not need to spend all of that money to be able to start turning quality wood turnings. A beginner needs a lot less than a Sorby chisel to ruin when they are first learning how to sharpen it. They don't need a $300 chuck, in fact they do not really need a chuck, that is a want. Wolverine grinder setup, that is not needed either a wet stone works just fine. And the list keeps going.

How many people are literally scared away from turning because of these discussions always saying you need to buy all of this equipment to turn one item. They haven't learned to drive and all of these discussions are trying to put them in the Indy 500.

It disturbs me that these discussions cause some of these people to not get the enjoyment out of woodturning because they cannot afford the top of the line fully equipped shop that these discussions seem to promote as the only way.

Do I have these high dollar toys, you can bet on it, but not because I need, but because I wanted it. I bought a high dollar metal lathe to make some call making tools, that I could have went to the machine shop and spent less than a $100. But I spent the money because I wanted it not because I needed it.

Aother pennies worth of my thoughts.

Marvin

TYLER WOOD
08-15-2007, 9:45 AM
Marvin,
I am with you and what you want and need. I have a good lathe because it was gifted to me. I would not be in this hobby long without the love of my dad. Still the cost of tools did not run me off, but it can be disappointing wen your trying to get ideas for a lathe. A lot of times people recommend the bigger, meaner, pricier items for a reason. They work and mostly do not have to be upgraded. That is the reason for my advice. If you can afford the bigger meaner pricier, go for it. If not do what you gotta do.

As for the tools,

HF chisel set - cheap, easy to get, good to learn how to sharpen (definately upgrade later).
lathe - the bigger you can afford and better quatlity the longer you go till upgrades.
chuck/faceplate - most lathes come with a faceplate, if not I would go with the PSI Baracuda line, cheaper than most that are not junk, but still good quality.

Then it depends on what you want to turn. If pens you will need a mandrel, pen kits, bearings, sand paper and finish.

Most everything else is wants! Enjoy your turning, either on the cheap, or loose your wallet. Either way you will enjoy your time in the shop.

Good luck on your choices. We are here to help you spend your money. So feel free to ask all the questions you need. We have all been there at one time.

Patrick Taylor
08-15-2007, 11:07 AM
How many people are literally scared away from turning because of these discussions always saying you need to buy all of this equipment to turn one item. They haven't learned to drive and all of these discussions are trying to put them in the Indy 500.

It disturbs me that these discussions cause some of these people to not get the enjoyment out of woodturning because they cannot afford the top of the line fully equipped shop that these discussions seem to promote as the only way.

I certainly agree with want vs. need, and we should all be able to turn with the bare minimum of tools. (as was required a few years back, of course) That said, I think there's an appropriate balance between telling a beginner to buy a laser-guided hollowing rig to go with his american beauty, and telling him that he must "pay his dues" by turning on a pole lathe (exaggeration intentional...). :)

I agree that a prospective turner can get started without many of the recommended wants, but the flipside is that having some of those "wants" (like a basic chuck) can make learning a lot more enjoyable and actually make them more likely to stick with it.

I think it's fair to recommend the "wants" to the new turner, but I think you're right that their status as wants rather than needs could be better clarified.

Patrick Taylor
08-15-2007, 11:17 AM
I think it's fair to recommend the "wants" to the new turner, but I think you're right that their status as wants rather than needs could be better clarified.

Since this question comes up so often, I bet someone could put together a great sticky guide on the bare minimum "needs" and the nice to have "wants" for potential turners to refer to when they're figuring out what they need. I envision two lists: one is the bare minimum and the second is a list of niceties in prioritized order (e.g. chuck near the top, captured hollowing near the bottom). Maybe it could have some links to manufacturers or suppliers too. What do you guys think? Would this be a useful tool for newcomers?

Brodie Brickey
08-15-2007, 4:50 PM
Since this question comes up so often, I bet someone could put together a great sticky guide on the bare minimum "needs" and the nice to have "wants" for potential turners to refer to when they're figuring out what they need. I envision two lists: one is the bare minimum and the second is a list of niceties in prioritized order (e.g. chuck near the top, captured hollowing near the bottom). Maybe it could have some links to manufacturers or suppliers too. What do you guys think? Would this be a useful tool for newcomers?

Patrick,

I really like your point about identifying want/needs and making the list. I think it would be very beneficial. The links may not be an option due to the TOS, but I think we could very easily be able to quote where some things could be acquired or what one might look for.

Marvin Hasenak
08-15-2007, 7:30 PM
I am a game callmaker, I make custom calls for turkey and predator hunters. my needs are minimal, my wants are astronomical. I also turn a few vases, bowls, pens and the arts and crafts things. Retired so I actually only do what I want.

I met with a newbie yesterday that started turning after the first of the year, A young guy with a family, his equipment was all from Harbor Freight, and I mean everything except for wood, finishes and sandpaper. The lathe, chisels and drill press were Christmas gifts. He has no grinder, no fancy tools, self taught except for a few 100 emails and phone calls to me and another person with questions. He brought a long some calls and a small bowl, a vase, and a weed pot. Everything was pretty well top notch and was done with a spur drive and a face plate. His work was well designed and finished very good. Now when he first contacted me last year I knew his situation, I recommended a Jet mini and HF tools, and some other miscellaneous basic beginning tools. Which he convince his family to get him for Christmas with the exception of the Jet. Now if I had told him he needed all of the top of the line "stuff" I have he would never tried because of lack of funds. He is doing with a few $100 what it takes me a few $1000.

He also had me thinking back to some of the old ways that I used to do things. I had to practice making 2 piece mandrels that would work between the spur drive and live center. Face plate, I have never been a fan of face plates and cutoff blocks, one reason I stay away from them, but he forced me to go back to that way just so I could show him ways to make what he wants to make. After he left, I sat there and thought about how he had done all of the things he had done with so little and looked at what I had. Put the spur drive in the Jet, made a mandrel, drilled a call blank and the turned it between centers just like in the old day. It really felt good to know this old man still has the touch.

Enough preaching for now.

Marvin