PDA

View Full Version : Rockhard-Btwn coat sanding

John Keane
08-13-2007, 8:29 PM
I am in the process of applying the Per Swenson program of Behlen Rockhard. After each coat I have this nice bright gloss. After sanding each coat (Festool Brilliant 220 using an ES 125 at low speed [2-3) I get a little nervous because it looks like I am going through the finish. After wiping it down with MS to clean up the dust it looks ok, but I am wondering if I am getting any buildup or am I sanding off each coat.

Steve Schoene
08-14-2007, 7:18 AM
You may not be sanding it all off, but I've never found this to be power sander territory. For me, sanding between coats is best done by hand with 320 grit on a padded sanding block. Unless you are using the finish to fill pores, all you are trying to do is to scuff the surface so the next coat will adhere, which will also remove dust nibs and the like.

Terry Bigelow
08-14-2007, 9:51 AM
Exactly what Steve said. I like to use Klingspor 320 flexpads. They seem smoother than 320 but leave a nice surface. Definitely hand sand.

John Keane
08-14-2007, 10:21 AM
Steve and Terry thank you.

Howard Acheson
08-14-2007, 10:24 AM
I am in the process of applying the Per Swenson program of Behlen Rockhard. After each coat I have this nice bright gloss. After sanding each coat (Festool Brilliant 220 using an ES 125 at low speed [2-3) I get a little nervous because it looks like I am going through the finish. After wiping it down with MS to clean up the dust it looks ok, but I am wondering if I am getting any buildup or am I sanding off each coat.

As others have said, power sanders are not the thing to use for between coat sanding. Use a sanding block with 320 paper. After the first coat, sand to get the surface flat. Between subsequent coats, the objective is to lightly scuff the surface to keep it flat and provide a good surface for the following coat to adhere to.