PDA

View Full Version : Should I keep my tool storage boxes?

Jack Hogoboom
08-13-2007, 6:07 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning out and reorganizing my shop. I have a bunch of plastic containers that my routers, sanders, nail guns, etc. have all come in. So far, I haven't been able to bring myself to toss them, but they are taking up a lot of usable space and I can't quite figure out if I should keep them or get rid of them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Jack

Joe Jensen
08-13-2007, 6:09 PM
I have the same issue. I never use them but I keep them on the assumption that I may sell the tool and the tote would increase value. Pretty stupid...joe

Randy Klein
08-13-2007, 6:15 PM
I keep them for resale as well, but mainly since I move every few years.

If you don't want to keep them, you may want to list them here just in case someone else is looking for one...

Steve Clardy
08-13-2007, 6:24 PM
I keep only the ones I need for job site tools, which is 16 right now, including screw, nail cases.

The others get pitched. 40-50 cases laying around here would take up too much storage room.

Jim O'Dell
08-13-2007, 6:30 PM
I keep mine. If you need the space, toss em up in the attic area to get em out of the way. If there's room, that is.:rolleyes: Jim.

William Nimmo
08-13-2007, 6:33 PM
When in doubt...throw them out.

Bill Huber
08-13-2007, 6:40 PM
I keep mine in the attic, they take the heat ok and then when I do need them to take the tools to work on something at someones house I have them.

But as Mr. Nimmo stated "When in doubt...throw them out." very good words to follow.

Roger Newby
08-13-2007, 7:00 PM
Just a friendly reminder that those boxes are all usually polyethylene (say oil) and can be recycled. PE is also refered to as Type 2 plastic in the recycling field.

Roger
Syracuse, Nebraska

Todd Jensen
08-13-2007, 8:06 PM
I use larger totes or buckets for bringing all my tools to the field, and have never used the cases. I had kept most of them around for similar reasons mentioned. About a week ago I got tired of them taking up space and threw caution to the wind, and threw them in the recycling bin.
What a renegade I am! :D Most of the cases are pretty cheap anyways, and I just kept the sturdy dewalt cases to tote stuff on my atv.

Larry Nall
08-13-2007, 9:00 PM
I actually store my tools in them.

Jim Becker
08-13-2007, 9:12 PM
I have them in storage, but if I ever need the space, they'll be in the trash. I do not use them largely because they all are different sizes/shapes and it's easier to store tools more compactly without the cases. The only exception I make are Systainers with my Festool tools...they stack very nicely!

Steve Kohn
08-13-2007, 9:20 PM
I keep what I am likely to need outside the shop in their cases. The rest I sell on Ebay.

Tom Cowie
08-13-2007, 9:24 PM
I'm in the process of cleaning out and reorganizing my shop. I have a bunch of plastic containers that my routers, sanders, nail guns, etc. have all come in. So far, I haven't been able to bring myself to toss them, but they are taking up a lot of usable space and I can't quite figure out if I should keep them or get rid of them.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Jack

Dedicated pac-rat:o I even saved the cardboard ones for awhile till my obsession was obvious to all.:D I still have one or two cardboard boxes around though. Jim is right the Festool Systainer is one that makes sense to keep.

Tom

Matt Meiser
08-13-2007, 10:46 PM
I keep what I am likely to need outside the shop in their cases. The rest I sell on Ebay.

That works? is it worth it? I was just thinking about the stack I have--it fills the box my cyclone came in, which is where they've been since we moved here.

Frank Stolten
08-13-2007, 11:22 PM
I have a little different take. I'm a hobbiest and don't use some of my tools frequently. The ones I do are kept close at hand and out of the containers. The remainder I keep in the original containers bacause it keeps anything from getting lost or missplaced. Besides, they take up less space confined to the container than if I had to make room for them on a shelf or in a drawer. I never throw any of the containers away, there's plenty of room for the empty ones in the attic above my garage workshop and when I someday upgrade I think whoever buys my current tools will appreciate having the containers.

frank shic
08-13-2007, 11:27 PM
second vote for ebay. i've rid myself of most of my router and drill cases/bags. i held on to my biscuit joiner case so i could sell the whole thing off like i did last week.

Brent Dowell
08-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Another vote for keeping them and storing the tools in them. Helps me keep track of them....

Michael Schwartz
08-14-2007, 11:30 AM
I know guys who throw them out the second they open them up.

The cases are usualy overkill too, as they serve as the packing for the tool durring shipping. I suppose they could sell the tools without the case, pack them in foam, and then make the cases optional, and less bulky.

I have a hilti case which is 5 times bigger than it need be. The cases for my dewalt drills are ok, and the case for my dw618 is massive. My Milwaukee V28 kit came in a nice tool-bag.

David G Baker
08-14-2007, 12:39 PM
I actually store my tools in them.
Larry,
Me too.

Michael Lutz
08-14-2007, 2:05 PM
Tools that get used primarily outside the shop live in their containers such as grinder, roofing nailer, framing nailer, recip. saw, and rotozip. Others will leave their containers as soon as I am finished with their tool storage locations, especially large cases for my cordless dewalt set and PC router set.

Mike

Myron Vanausdoll
08-14-2007, 2:41 PM
Back in 2003 I had a shop fire during the night which burned itself out but not after it rusted and corroded about $50,000 worth of tools. To my amazement the only tools that were unharmed were the tools that I kept in their original plastic containers. That should be incentive enough for you and everone to start using them to store your tools.

Myron

"Woodworking Tools are My Passion in Life"

Joe Jensen
08-14-2007, 4:03 PM
Back in 2003 I had a shop fire during the night which burned itself out but not after it rusted and corroded about $50,000 worth of tools. To my amazement the only tools that were unharmed were the tools that I kept in their original plastic containers. That should be incentive enough for you and everone to start using them to store your tools.

Myron

"Woodworking Tools are My Passion in Life"

Wow, Great fortune that you did not lose the entire shop. Did the smoke and heat cause the rusting, or did you have a spinkler system.

Dave Bureau
08-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Cleaning out my shop last week, I asked my self the same thing. I tossed them out. Most people don't use them. they should give you the option of buying with out the case. Probably adds 10 bucks to the price of the tool.