PDA

View Full Version : Cottonwood Endgrain Bowls

Ernie Kuhn
08-13-2007, 2:35 PM
Tried a couple of small cottonwood endgrain bowls, 5" to 7" dia, about 4" to 5" deep. Have them in DNA soak at the moment. Should the same paper wrap and cut hole for the inside drying work? Not sure since this is these are the first endgrain bowls I've tried and, first time trying cottonwood.
Thanks in advance
Ernie

Keith Burns
08-13-2007, 3:10 PM
Ernie, I have only done one cottonwood end grain bowl. Normal paper wraping after dna. Was dry in a week. No cracks but warped a lot.

Burt Alcantara
08-15-2007, 3:20 PM
I've done a number of end-grained willow bowls about that size. In my case, the end grain bowls hardly warped at all while the face grains warped into long ovals. Used DNA, then fully enclosed in wrapping paper. Sat on shelf for 2 weeks.

With the willow that I have, the end grain turnings come out best in terms of minimal warpage and figure.

Burt

Ernie Kuhn
08-15-2007, 5:25 PM
Thanks to you both. Got my fingers crossed. Going to weigh them weekly and not peek under the paper till they all quit losing weight. Will post "as is" condition when I unwarp them. Again, got my fingers crossed.
Thanks again,
Ernie

Jeff Van Sickle
08-17-2007, 7:50 AM
I rough turned a bowl out of cottonwood, placed it in a paper bag . Month later, I finished it,very little warp and no cracks. It was a face grain bowl. I think I got lucky on that one.

Jeff

Bill Wyko
08-17-2007, 12:18 PM
And just where are the pics?:cool: :)

Ernie Kuhn
08-17-2007, 1:40 PM
Bill,
My pics are about 3 weeks out as bowls were DNA soaked and wrapped only a week ago. Will definitely post when unwrapped.
Ernie