PDA

View Full Version : More Inlay Questions

Joe Pelonio
08-13-2007, 1:34 PM
Here's a simple one I just unclamped, still have to sand and finish it. This is a typical quilt star block, which my wife suggested I do, and try to sell through quilt shops. I mitered the corners of the border to save material but now I think it looks better that way.

I do have a couple of other questions. Since I find it a pain to use masking tape until they are all glued, then clamp, what are good sources for smaller vacuum bags? I really only expect to need one that will hold 12"x24".

Also, do you think it's a good idea to engrave the names of the various woods on the back of the piece?

http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/dsc01752.jpg

http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/dsc001752.jpg

Mike Null
08-13-2007, 2:02 PM
Joe

Nice job. Can't help on the vacuum bag but I like the idea of engraving or labeling the varieties of wood.

Mitchell Andrus
08-13-2007, 2:17 PM
Nice Joe. Veneer supplies... joewoodworker.com

A quality bag will cost $50.00+, but I wouldn't do without any of mine. I recommend veneer glue, also. Thicker (be sure to stir it each use) and bigger particles for less soak-through thin stuff.

Neat trick on this kind of thing, run 1/40" black dyed strips around the parts before assembly (leave room in the patterns). Makes the woods pop and takes just a few minutes with a razor blade and 'fast' CA glue.

Joe Pelonio
08-13-2007, 4:04 PM
Thanks. I see they have kits to build my own, probably better than buying the whole setup that's way bigger than I need. I have had problems with glue causing it to curl so I'll try the veneer glue too.

Ray Mighells
08-13-2007, 4:21 PM
Nice neat job Joe. Very pretty burl too. I would re-orient the oak grain to go straight away from the center like sun rays. Nice tip from Mitchell. I always used veneer tape to assemble a project with a lot of small pieces unless I had a one piece field and assembled it one piece at a time. Can't beat a vacuum for a clamp.

Joe Pelonio
08-13-2007, 4:49 PM
I see your point on the grain. I wasn't thinking about it and what you suggest makes sense and will probably get me a better yield from the veneer.

Mike Hood
08-13-2007, 5:15 PM
Since I find it a pain to use masking tape until they are all glued, then clamp, what are good sources for smaller vacuum bags? I really only expect to need one that will hold 12"x24".

http://members.aol.com/bisjoe/dsc001752.jpg

I back stuff larger than that and just use poly drop cloth seamed with plumbers tape. I also have a large formica drafting table that I pull a vacuum on the same way that works really well. Not need to buy fancy bags... just heavy plastic and works great.

Lee DeRaud
08-13-2007, 5:28 PM
The bags are cheap...if you already have the vacuum pump. :p

Rockler sells a hand-pumped widget (intended for gluing skateboard blanks, I think) that works fine for stuff that size.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11315&filter=vacuum

Tom Majewski
08-13-2007, 8:04 PM
Joe, get in with someone who goes to the local quilt expos. These are all 1/4" thick pieces. It doesn't hurt sales that Peggy is a quilting instructor.

Carol VanArnam
08-14-2007, 3:41 AM
Joe I drove over to Rockler last Friday and bought 8 bundles of wood. WOW thanks for the tip that was a great price. I usually shop at the Tukwilla store but it was worth driving up to the Stone street store. They had over a 100 bundles.

I love your first try it looks great. Thanks for posting this tread. I'll have to read all of it so I can learn the tricks. I've got the wood now and need to get the smarts to make it happen...

Frank Corker
08-14-2007, 7:32 AM
Joe, nice work! Looks very effective

Joe Pelonio
08-14-2007, 8:24 AM
Joe, get in with someone who goes to the local quilt expos. These are all 1/4" thick pieces. It doesn't hurt sales that Peggy is a quilting instructor.
Very nice, Tom. My wife teaches too, at a local quilt store, and I have customers that I make acrylic templates for that do shows. If I can come up with some good work I should have ways to sell them.

Pete Simmons
08-14-2007, 8:58 AM
Joe / Tom/ Mitch :

More info please on how you do these. I do deep veneers 0.070 - 0.125 thick. I would like to get into thin veneer inlays.

Do you just do a shallow raster cut then glue the veneer in place?

I worry that doing it that way does not leave enough material to sand.

Joe Pelonio
08-14-2007, 9:22 AM
In this I used birch plywood (3 ply) as the backing. I experimented to get the settings to rastor it out to the proper depth. The Sapele Pomelle (top, bottom, L and R in star) was thicker so I engraved those a second time.
They are still a hair higher so will have to be sanded down but all the rest is pretty close to flush.

Some of the veneer I have is 1/42 and that doesn't leave much for sanding, luckily I have been able to find a good amount of older thicker stuff.