PDA

View Full Version : Bottle Stopper question

dennis kranz
08-13-2007, 12:12 PM
For those of you who sell a lot of stoppers. Do the customers prefer a larger sized or smaller sized stopper. What size do you make yours? I kind of like a larger blank than the normal 1 1/2 so that a larger stopper can be made. Any ideas?
Dennis

Stan Cook
08-13-2007, 12:30 PM
Larger ones show off more of the wood, however smaller ones are more practical. They fit in the fridge a little better. Also, I have switched over to only stainless steel stopper bases to prevent any pitting from some of the more acidic wines.

Frank Kobilsek
08-13-2007, 12:46 PM
Dennis

People are different and tastes very widely. If you are selling having some larger units will help but don't make them all giants.

Stan mentioned fridge clearence issues. I have a couple shapes that I specifically refer to as my 'white wine' models so they fit in the fridge better.

Like Stan I like the stainless units but cork sells well in 'craft' enviroment because of the lower price point. On the other hand at an 'Art' show cork will not sell. My two cents worth.

Frank

keith zimmerman
08-13-2007, 1:45 PM
I use the stainless steel Niles stoppers and usually turn the tops so the are no taller than the steel portion. I find if I make the top much taller and/or wider, they look awkward and don't sell as well. Mine sell quite well in a coffee house/gift shop environment.