PDA

View Full Version : Games for 10-12 people

Bob Moyer
08-13-2007, 11:01 AM
My wife is organizing a party of people, she has assigned me the responsibility for games, what games do you recomment. Since it is an evening party they must be indoors.

Rob Russell
08-13-2007, 11:34 AM
Something like Pictionary can be fun, especially after folks have had a glass of wine or 2 ...

Nancy Laird
08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Charades?? Post office???:D :D :eek: Spin the bottle???:eek: :eek:

Seriously, what age group is this group of people? The type of games you select will depend on the ages of the players.

One of the funniest group games I've ever played is the one where you buy books or pads of "stories" with blanks to be filled in (I can't think of the name of the game to save my soul). The person holding the pad asks the group for nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc., then when all the blanks are filled in, reads the story. These have provided some of the biggest belly laughs I've had in a long time. They'll be available in the same area at the bookstore where crossword/word search puzzles are found.

Nancy (130 days)

Matt Meiser
08-13-2007, 11:53 AM
especially after folks have had a glass of wine or 2 ...

Can't almost anything be fun at that point? :D

Whatever you do keep it simple. Both my previous employer's and my wife's employer's Holiday parties have become kind of a drag because they've made up these big complicated games. No one knows what is going on and it gets boring quick. Then as soon as its over everyone darts for the door.

Jonathon Spafford
08-13-2007, 12:08 PM
One of the funniest group games I've ever played is the one where you buy books or pads of "stories" with blanks to be filled in (I can't think of the name of the game to save my soul). The person holding the pad asks the group for nouns, adjectives, verbs, etc., then when all the blanks are filled in, reads the story. These have provided some of the biggest belly laughs I've had in a long time. They'll be available in the same area at the bookstore where crossword/word search puzzles are found.
Nancy (130 days)

Mad libs... those are always so funny!

Jonathon Spafford
08-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Four on a couch is fun - I mean it all depends if you want to play a civilized game or a kids party game. Ten dice is a good one, but you might cut the end score down to 50-75 since you have so many people.

Anyway, I'll post more if I think of others!

Bob Moyer
08-13-2007, 12:32 PM
Age group is 40-50's mostly married couples.

Art Mulder
08-13-2007, 12:41 PM
1) dutch blitz. play it around a table if you want it to be 'calm'. Or print up large 8x10 cards, divide into teams, and play it on the floor. Watch out for carpet burn. This one can be a hoot in a group.

2) divide into two teams and play 'name-that-tune'. pull together groups of songs appropriate to your audience, and have people come up two at a time and compete to see who can name the tune quicker.

3) divide into two teams. Give each team a pot of play-do. the first person on each team is given a word, and then they use the play-do to to sculpt the word. Like charades, but with play-do. No verbal clues! When the word is guessed, the next person around the circle races up to the host, whispers the word to them, and then they get the next word. have at least one word for each person on the team, so it goes around the circle once. Twice preferably.

4) set up 2-3 tables and let people play favourite board games. This is a quieter evening, and gives more time for conversation. There are lots of new board games out there these days: Carcassone, Settlers of Catan, Blokus, Cranium, etc

5) Taboo is a good crowd game.

Jonathon Spafford
08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Catch phrase, Balderdash, Taboo, and Scattergories could all work for a large group.

I've never played it, but I've heard that Bunko is a good party game.

John Schreiber
08-13-2007, 1:15 PM
Lots of good ones above. I'd add one of our favorites for a diverse group of people is Apples to Apples. Charades is always a winner too. Bunko works for really large groups. I like Trivial Pursuit, but that's just because I'm a know-it-all.

Steve knight
08-13-2007, 1:16 PM
Phase 10 card game

Joe Pelonio
08-13-2007, 1:36 PM
Trivial Pursuit Baby Boomer Edition.

Eric Walker
08-13-2007, 2:21 PM
With the right number of people (8, 12, etc), pitch. Rotate players after each game. Winners move up to the next table, losers move down (unless they're already at the losing table). Lots of small variations to this game. Here's an example...http://www.pagat.com/allfours/pitch.html#players

Nancy Laird
08-13-2007, 3:43 PM
Mad libs... those are always so funny!

Thanks, Jonathon - I just couldn't think of the name.

If you and your guests are into card games, you could play hearts, spades, canasta, rummy, all of which lend themselves to tables of 4.

Nancy (130 days)

Jack Hogoboom
08-13-2007, 5:29 PM
This will sound incredibly boring, but Bingo is a fun game to play with a group like that. You can get some gag prizes or even money to give out as prizes. We play every year at our annual beach vacation and always have a blast (especially the young children and the older folks). I even bought the really nice cards from a seller on E-Bay.

Have fun.

Jack

Pat Germain
08-13-2007, 5:34 PM
Second for Apples to Apples. I've never played it, but my wife and her friends love it!

Greg Cuetara
08-14-2007, 11:50 PM
With a large group I would have to second the suggestion of of Catch-Phrase. I played with about 20 people and everyone was involved and had a great time.

Mark Patoka
08-15-2007, 12:01 AM
We're always asked to bring Catch Phrase when our group of friends gets together. A lot of fun for a variety of ages and can easily be played sitting around a big table or room. With a large group you just need to remember which team you're on or you'll start answering for the other team, which adds to the fun.

Dan Mages
08-15-2007, 8:50 AM
you can always do a chess tourney or a murder mystery. :rolleyes:

Dan

Al Willits
08-15-2007, 9:21 AM
I imagine everybody getting stoned and cranking Zeppelin up probably won't go over well, so you'll need something a little tamer than that.:D

I'd stay away from games like trivial pursuit, never fails there's someone who has 90% of the questions memorized and that'll get old real fast.

Also make the games very simple at first, not everybody is comfortable playing games in front of people they may not know, so start off with easy stuff.

Bingo isn't a bad idea, have novelty items as prizes, think fun here.

Maybe even call some of the guests and ask what they'd like to do.

Al

Steven Wilson
08-15-2007, 9:59 AM
I always like the Tokem' game from Zig-Zag but that was many brain cells ago.

Joe Chritz
08-15-2007, 1:32 PM
I'm a cop in a college town.

How many drinking games do you want??

As far as inside games with 10 people. I would play poker. :D

Joe

Ben Grunow
08-15-2007, 8:08 PM
Whenever 10 of my friends get together, there is always a game of beer pong. Really fun and not too much drinking if you dont want to. Might be a nice change? Might not.