PDA

View Full Version : Power feeder...mounting to left of table saw blade ok?

Jameel Abraham
08-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I have a Unisaw with only a cast iron wing on the left, so no room to mount a power feeder on the right. I've got a 1/4hp Comatic waiting to be put to use.

Is it okay to mount the feeder at the back left corner? Any issues I should be aware of? I was actually thinking it might be better here since I would not loose any ripping width re: the fence hitting the feeder mount if it was on the right. Maybe these things are always mounted to the left on a table saw, I don't know....

I'm new to these things...

Joe Jensen
08-13-2007, 11:13 AM
No functional issue, but it would limit how wide a board you can be ripping from. Putting it on the right of the blade limits the width of the board you can rip. A limit either way, just depends on what you are doing...joe

David DeCristoforo
08-13-2007, 11:17 AM
You can mount the feeder base where ever you like. As long as it's not in your way, you should be fine. It's a good idea to mount the base in such a way as to make removing it as easy as possible because, no matter what, sooner or later, it's going to be in the way of something. I'm a big fan of drilling and tapping cast iron tops for things like mounting feeder bases because then you can bolt them from the top which makes removing them much easier. But, I am aware that this is considered blasphemy by some....

Jameel Abraham
08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Good to hear that Joe and David. I didn't want to sink another $100 into this venture for a cast iron extension wing.

Why are some opposed to tapping the cast iron? I just assumed that would be the best way. I plan to do it that way. I'm also thinking about mounting a hoist right above the saw so I can just lift it up and away when I don't need it.

Joe Jensen
08-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Good to hear that Joe and David. I didn't want to sink another $100 into this venture for a cast iron extension wing.

Why are some opposed to tapping the cast iron? I just assumed that would be the best way. I plan to do it that way. I'm also thinking about mounting a hoist right above the saw so I can just lift it up and away when I don't need it.

Some folks REALLY like to keep their cast iron tops pristine and polished. I view mine as tools. I see no issue with drilling and tapping...joe

Greg Funk
08-13-2007, 12:23 PM
I've drilled and tapped my tablesaw for a feeder (back left) but I've always been curious how much stress the tapped holes can withstand. The cast iron tops aren't very thick and I only see maybe 3 or 4 threads in the metal. Does anyone have any data on how much stress tapped cast iron can withstand?

thanks,

Greg

David DeCristoforo
08-13-2007, 12:51 PM
I don't have any science for you but I can tell you that I have done this many times on many machines (table saws, shapers, etc.) with no problems. And, I have had a lot of pressure on the feeder wheels which puts more stress on the base. I'm sure you could find someone to calculate the load but in practical terms, it's not an issue.