PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a pocket watch?

Royce Meritt
08-13-2007, 9:48 AM
OK, I realize this might be a goofy question for a woodworking bulletin board but here goes...

I like carrying a pocket watch instead of wearing a wrist watch. However, I am having trouble finding one that holds up well to the rigors of shop/outdoor use. I think moisture, dirt, getting banged around , etc. are the main problems.

Can any of you who carry a pocket watch recommend a brand, model, etc. that will hold up better than the "cheapies" that I have been using? I would rather spend $100 on a good one that will last for several years than have to keep fighting the $20-$30 models I have tried.

Thanks!

Eddie Darby
08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
You might add one of these on your next order from LV.

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=&p=55300&cat=2,40725,45454

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p=55282&cat=2,40725,45454

Mike Henderson
08-13-2007, 12:10 PM
The best "pocket watch" is a cell phone. All cell phones I'm aware of show the time, and the time is set from the cell phone system, which, in turn, gets the time from very accurate sources. So you have communications and an extremely accurate watch, and you can keep it in your pocket.

I don't carry a separate watch, wrist or pocket, now.

Mike

Leo Pashea
08-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Royce, look for the brand names "Wenger" or "Charles-Hubert" in pocket watches. Wenger are very good watches, and will meet the demands you are seeking. Charles-Hubert is good too, but the Wenger watches are better, IMO. Most all of the major players in the watch business today do offer a pocket watch, but most retailers don't stock them.

Jim Heffner
08-13-2007, 2:07 PM
Royce, I don't usually carry a pocket watch but I do have a small collection of them (another of my hobbies). If you want a good carry watch for everyday use and one that will hold up to a lot of abuse...get a
Wenger or Swiss Army brand...they make a good tough watch that will last for years. I just retired a Wenger wristwatch that I had been using daily for the last 15 years ago or more....hated to retire it but the watchmaker said it was worth repairing...would cost more than it was worth. eezlock

Carl Crout
08-13-2007, 3:06 PM
The best "pocket watch" is a cell phone. All cell phones I'm aware of show the time, and the time is set from the cell phone system, which, in turn, gets the time from very accurate sources. So you have communications and an extremely accurate watch, and you can keep it in your pocket.

I don't carry a separate watch, wrist or pocket, now.

Mike

I agree with Mike. Since I got a cell phone I no longer wear a watch. No need as the phone goes everywhere I go..........

Royce Meritt
08-13-2007, 4:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check out the "Swiss Army" watches.

As for the cell phone suggestion...that's a perfectly good suggestion. However, I use a pocket watch primarily during my woodworking and/or hunting and fishing outings. I will not carry my cell phone on my person during these activities because if I wanted to be at "connected" to the "outside world" 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week I wouldn't be out in my shop or hunting and fishing to start with.

Thanks again.

Mike Henderson
08-13-2007, 7:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to check out the "Swiss Army" watches.

As for the cell phone suggestion...that's a perfectly good suggestion. However, I use a pocket watch primarily during my woodworking and/or hunting and fishing outings. I will not carry my cell phone on my person during these activities because if I wanted to be at "connected" to the "outside world" 24 hours a day/ 7 days a week I wouldn't be out in my shop or hunting and fishing to start with.

Thanks again.
Carrying a cell phone does not mean that you have to answer it. If you don't like the ringing, you can turn the ringer off, or just turn the ringer volume all the way down. If you have an accident, either in the shop or when hunting or fishing (assuming there's cell coverage) you have a way to summon help.

But the most important point I'm attempting to make is that no one can make you a slave to a cell phone except yourself.

Mike

mark page
08-13-2007, 8:03 PM
I don't know if Seiko makes pocket watches or not. Seiko is the only wristwatch that I will purchase. I'm on my second one in thirty years of being a Seiko fan. Between my day job and around the shop, I beat the heck out of them, and they last. They are expensive, but just like shop equipment, pay once and cry once. I figure I'm in the pair for just under $1k, but seeing how I can tear up a $30.00 Timex in less than 30 minutes, they will pay for themselves.

Gary Herrmann
08-13-2007, 10:51 PM
I've seen one or two in the Duluth Trading catalog.

Roger Bell
08-13-2007, 10:52 PM
I have had a Citizen brand pocket watch for 35 years. I used it all the time for the first fifteen years....and then from time to time thereafter. I have come to prefer wrist watches. My present wrist watch is a Citizen. A step up from Seiko.......a great big step up from Timex and the like. Very good quality....not cheap, but not too expensive either. Widely available.

Mark Singer
08-13-2007, 10:53 PM
I collect pocket watches that have been converted to wrist watches... They are pricey though...IWC, Ulysee Nardin, Phillepe Patek, Vacheron Consantine, Longines, Omega are among them... Some are 120 years old and run great...

Jeff Kerr
08-13-2007, 11:17 PM
I would think that a "true" railroadmens pocket watch would be just what you are looking for. Don't know any brand names but I bet your local area has a few "watch" men in the phonebook that can sell you one.

If not, check your local auction companies. They will for certain know local watch collectors that frequent their sale and you should be able to get one from them.

Stuart Johnson
08-14-2007, 10:20 AM
I've carried a pocket watch for the last 30 plus years. Timex has several nice and inexpensive watches that do take a beating and keep right on ticking. I've had my current one for about three years and it has taken it's share of abuse I've had no problems. I imagine it will need to be replaced in a couple years but like most Timex watches it is cheap, accurate and not worth spending dollars to do anything but replace the battery.

For weddings and funerals I have my Grandfathers small gold Elgin with a picture of my Grandmother as a young lady in the the cover.

Mark Singer
08-14-2007, 11:46 AM
Here are some of my pocket watches that have been converted to wrist watches