PDA

View Full Version : Creekers Weekend Accomplishments....

Dennis Peacock
08-13-2007, 9:25 AM
Good Morning
13 Aug 2007

Well, it's another "hot and humid" day here in Conway. I know many folks around here are ready for fall and winter to get here because of the heat. Yesterday in Little Rock, it was 105º at 11AM according to the local bank. All I'm going to say is that I'm sick of summer and ready for fall/winter. ;)

I have spent a little time in the shop since my last posting but when I checked the shop yesterday...with a/c running....it was a cool 98º in my shop. Next summer, I will have to close most of my shop and only cool the bay of where my lathe lives and just spend the summer months turning wood. Besides that, the power costs are hitting us pretty hard and we're trying to keep the power costs down.

It will be back in the shop today and will be making further progess on the kitchen table as well as the 2 small wine cabinets that I'm building for a friend of mine.

So what did YOU do this weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Tony De Masi
08-13-2007, 9:28 AM
Took a quick 2 1/2 hour trip to Virginia Beach for my niece's baby shower. Had a wonderful time as it was just for family. But the 6 hour trip home was a real bummer. 100 degree heat plus major traffic jams can change your mood real quick.

Tony

Bill White
08-13-2007, 9:32 AM
Funny thing happened. He had some old leftover stuff, and it followed me home. Thanks Wes. The Griz and sucker will have a good home.
Bill

Matt Meiser
08-13-2007, 9:38 AM
Friday afternoon and Saturday morning I got my cabinet doors and drawer fronts sprayed, so except for some minor reassembly and installation, the bath cabinets are done. I'm hoping to finish up the drywall work in the next day or two, so we'll be moving into the next phase of the remodel where we can't use the bath.

Other than that it was all family time.

Jim Becker
08-13-2007, 9:53 AM
I was able to fly home from Munich on Friday...one day early...and that insured I would have some time in the shop over the weekend. Saturday, we took the girls to see Hairspray (great flick!) and had our family meal out.

Sunday, I got in the shop for most of the day, working on the master bath vanities (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=56649&page=2) and then assembling things for the vacuum press that I'll need to use for the door panels on that project. We also took a trip to Wally-world so the girls could spend the birthday gift cards that my parents sent up. (Oh, how I hate that store....'never go there unless forced to with gift cards...)

This week the foundation work will start on the addition (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=62648&page=2) as the footers are done...things should really start to look different fairly quickly!

Brent Dowell
08-13-2007, 10:55 AM
Saturday the Fedex guy surprised me with a delivery of wood.

20bf 8/4 Hard Maple
20bf 4/4 Hard Maple
20bf 4/4 Cherry

By my calcs, I got exactly the board footage I ordered so that made me happy.

Sunday I Finally got up the nerve to cut the hole for the router plate in my router table top I'm working on. Practiced on my old router table top 4 times before I finally got the template right... Anyhow, finally got the plate it. Looks like I'm about 2 layers of masking tape too deep, but it's pretty nice snug fit.

Sunday night spent from around 9:30 - 11:00 watching the perseids. Couldn't quite stay out all night waiting for the peak, but we did see some pretty nice 'atmosphere grazers'.

Now that I've got some wood, I better finish that router table and get some project completed. No more excuses...

Robert Mayer
08-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Spent all weekend on the fish tank stand. I had to redo the doors entirely because my frame wasnt perfectly straight which made me unable to use plain non mortise hinges. I ended up have to use $15 a pair blum hinges because I really needed the 3 way adjustment. The doors were too small to drill a 1 3/8" hole required so I made some cool looking corner blocks. But they fit although not perfectly.

Al Willits
08-14-2007, 10:03 PM
Just finally ending the weekend from hell here, Friday night we had a storm and it took out the rather larger maple tree in the back yard, well at least half of it, came down on the house and the wife's Altima, neither are doing well right now, oh...it got the front end of the truck and top, luckily only minor dents and scratches and its drivable, not so with the wife's car, good chance it's totaled, but we'll find out tomm.
It also took out the electric (mast torn off wall) cable, and phone, it also hit the new boat but didn't do any damage....whew!

Didn't get power till yesterday and phone and cable today, we'll had two major storms in the last few days and I heard over 110,000 homes were with out power at one time.
Luckily the neighbors had power and showed up at the door with a extension cord, so we saved the fridge and freezer foods.

But its been a miserable 4 days, we also had to deal with the tree, and this old guy hasn't worked so hard in years....do have firewood for the portable fire pit for at least a year though.

So....as far as weekends go, I coulda skipped this one.

Al....but we are glad neither us or the dog got hurt, and we'll make do...

Jim Dunn
08-14-2007, 10:21 PM
Worked on the "shed" for my wife. At 111 degrees on the deck I bar-b-que'd for my wifes birthday Sunday. This is all the heat I'm taking this year:)

Joe Mioux
08-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Other than working all day Sat and starting work at 6 am on Sunday, church at 8, continued work until 1. I spent about 10 minutes trying to sand some long boards and decided that this was a stupid idea.. 100+ degree temps and sanding dust don't mix.