PDA

View Full Version : Scrap Wood - Uses/Ideas

Bob Moyer
08-13-2007, 8:36 AM
I am 90% finished with an interior garage/workshop project; I have a number of pieces of T1-11; 11" x 48"; 5"x 96" etc, I also have a number of 2x6 pieces about 8-10". Any suggestions as to uses for these items? What do you normally do with your leftover small pieces?

Thanks

Jim Becker
08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
Stuff like that can be useful for building small rectangular boxes for propping things up for assembly, etc. Just this weekend I build a 6" raised platform on a dolly out of some scrap OSB, for example. I don't keep really small pieces of such stuff, but the more substantial leftovers get stored in the garage so I can grab them as needed.

Andy Haney
08-13-2007, 9:29 PM
I rat-hole too much stuff like this, but it sometimes comes in handy for building jigs and other such that doesn't need to be purty.

Andy

glenn bradley
08-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Single use jigs. Backer boards for the RT or the DP, etc. Parts for mock ups or proto types of a new type of joinery.

David DeCristoforo
08-13-2007, 11:20 PM
Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as "scrap". If it's useable, it's "inventory". If it's not useable, it's garbage.....

John Thompson
08-14-2007, 11:49 AM
I have to agree with David. Scrap is not a commodity at my shop, just stock left over from one project or being thrown away by someone that is "waiiting" for me to find a use. Probably has to do with the fact that father died when I was age 12 and through necessity my family became "thrift challenged". :)

Pallet bottoms.. torn down houses.. warehouses.. culled early wood stock nobody wants and shorts laminated all have a use IMO. It's just up to me to find the proper one that matches it's design needs and the most apporiate joinery to make it happen.

Regards...

Sarge.. john thompson

Kyle Kraft
08-14-2007, 11:54 AM
Throw it away immediately, then about a day or so after trash pickup or when the ashes cool off, you'll think of all kinds of potential uses for it:rolleyes: .

Michael Schwartz
08-14-2007, 1:37 PM
I used to keep every last chunk of wood I could get my hands on, well I was about 15 then.

As far as construction lumber, Durring a job I keep a couple of piles under my cut station of cuttoffs of different lengths. Everything under a foot or so, goes into a bin or a pile to be discarded every few days, unless I anticipate needing it for blocking or something.

After a job I usualy discard cutoffs under 3 feet.

I keep most plywood scraps, as plywood is expensive enough that it is worth storing the stuff. I will usualy keep any plywood longer than 4 feet, or 2x2' or larger.

In my shop.

In addition to beeing a woodworker, I am also a woodcarver, so anything is a potential carving blank.

Every now and then I go through my cutoffs and scraps and decide what to burn.

It allwayse amazes me when guys throw out cuttofs of 20+$ per BF exotics that would be perfect for tool handles, inlays, pens, door handles, and a million other things.

I saw a guy throw out this cutoff of walnut that looked like a gunstock and with a quick sanding, and some finish, could be hung right on a wall. I saw about 10 guys running to that trash can to grab it :cool:

Keith Beck
08-14-2007, 5:22 PM
Bob,

I made the following planters out of scrap T-111 and cedar. Just one idea...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ldoforcno/DSC02855.jpg
http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j114/ldoforcno/DSC02912.jpg

Keith

Steve Clardy
08-14-2007, 7:41 PM
Mine is all consided stock also.

My scrap goes into 50 gallon plastic barrels outside, saved for starting the wood stove. ;)

Small ply and wood cutoffs make excellent material for shop shelving, etc.

glenn bradley
08-14-2007, 7:59 PM
Bob,

Keith

Those look great Keith. I need some planters out back and this is just the nudge I needed to get started. Well, right after Mom's b-day present and LOML's daughter's snake cage and the drawers for under my next workbench and the cleats and cabinets for the west shop wall and . . . Oh! Christmas is coming and . . . you get the idea. Seriously though. I really like the planters and will shamelessly steal ideas from them.

Josiah Bartlett
08-14-2007, 9:03 PM
My stock slowly gets smaller until it ends up in the kindling barrel, which is fair game for my wife to use in lighting a fire or me to root around in if I need a block or a push stick or something. Anything in the barrel is fair game for either use.

Steve Kohn
08-14-2007, 9:17 PM
I box up the small pieces and give it to the Boy Scout troop I work with. They use it for kindling.

Greg Crawford
08-14-2007, 10:05 PM
My son recently pulled the engine and trans from his car. Lots of my small scraps got used to prop up stuff, chocks, etc. Do you have a teenage son?

Bob Moyer
08-15-2007, 7:17 AM
Bob,

Keith

Exactly what I was looking for - Thank you:) :) :)

Keith Beck
08-15-2007, 9:55 AM
Those look great Keith. I need some planters out back and this is just the nudge I needed to get started. Well, right after Mom's b-day present and LOML's daughter's snake cage and the drawers for under my next workbench and the cleats and cabinets for the west shop wall and . . . Oh! Christmas is coming and . . . you get the idea. Seriously though. I really like the planters and will shamelessly steal ideas from them.

Glenn,

Thanks for the nice comments. The planters were one of the items on the Honey-do list, so it's good to be able to mark something off. :D They've been on my porch for over a year now and have held up pretty well, even with all the water my wife dumps on them. I'm going through a major shop re-org right now, so it'll probably be a bit before I'm able to cross any more items off of the to-do list.

Keith

John Bush
08-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I heated my old shop with a wood stove and used most scrap with good conscience to heat the place. No stove in the new shop and I hate tossing unusable scraps in the trash. I cut it all into kindling size, tie it into bundles and give to friends for fireplace use.

I have a friend that owns a production cabinet shop and they take ALL the scrap, even large pieces of nice cabinet grade veneer ply,cut it down and fill a large dumpster for a service that picks it up and recycles it. I asked him about the "waste" issue and he says it is more costly to have pieces stockpiled and spend time "shopping" for the right piece. I watched as they ran large pieces of very nice cherry and walnut ply, that we all would store for years, thru his monster slider and toss out the door.

Evan Galipeau
08-15-2007, 10:43 AM
I have yet to actually do this but I have always thought that short pieces would be good to make building blocks out of. So if you have or know people who have small children it would be a decent enough gift idea. Just cut them into rectangular shapes.

John Buzzurro
08-15-2007, 6:30 PM
For smaller scrap pieces, I like to make small, simple clocks (http://home.comcast.net/%7Ejbuzzurr/woodworking/projects/miniclocks/miniclocks.jpg).

greg king
08-16-2007, 3:51 PM
I am doing a similar thing for my nephew with some scraps from cabinet construction. I'll be giving him a box of pieces (some I may cut to consistent sizes) that he can use for blocks, or better yet as simple woodworking pieces. I'm gonna' give him a box of small nails, some glue, and if I can find a cheap hand-powered drill, some screws.

I had all kinds of fun putting together things with scrap wood when I was a kid. I got a whole stack of paneling samples from the dealer when we were remodeling a house. These were about 12"x16" pieces of paneling that I used for all sorts of stuff.

gk

I have yet to actually do this but I have always thought that short pieces would be good to make building blocks out of. So if you have or know people who have small children it would be a decent enough gift idea. Just cut them into rectangular shapes.