PDA

View Full Version : Rust Prevention

Edward P. Surowiec
08-13-2007, 8:33 AM
I bought a new Powermatic PM2000 cabinet saw.
Please send recommendations/ advise regarding rust prevention. Any other comments are welcome.
Thanks
Ed

Eddie Darby
08-13-2007, 10:02 AM
I use T-9 by Boeshield as a first coat, and then follow it up with a coat of Top Coat by Bostik. Works great.

Steven Wilson
08-13-2007, 10:21 AM
For storage I apply a coat of Boeshield T-9, leave it dry (no buffing out) and then cover with a tool cover (HTC). Machines can go a couple of years without rusting. For everyday use I use a bit of Boeshield and buff it out or just paste wax.

Jim Becker
08-13-2007, 11:48 AM
I just use simple paste wax...SC Johnson is most generally recommended, but I have a tub of MinWax brand that's been in the shop for years...the only thing I actually use it for is cast iron machinery. I clean and reapply about twice a year and have never had rust on my machine tops.

Please note that anything you use should NOT contain silicone.

John Seiffer
08-13-2007, 2:09 PM
I have an old jointer that I got used. It's been sitting a while and has some rust on the tables. To remove the rust I'm thinking naval jelly and steel wool. Will that screw anything up?

glenn bradley
08-13-2007, 2:24 PM
Products mentioned in the other responses will serve you well. I broke my habit of brushing off my TS top at the end of the day for some unknown reason. I was then busy doing non TS stuff for about a week.

The sawdust had held enough moisture and was left undisturbed long enough to start the discoloration that precedes rust. I wiped the top down with mineral spirits to remove any old wax. Buffed out the discoloration with a syntho pad (black) and re-applied Johnson's was which is my preferred topping. There, all nice and clean again.

This is the first time I've ever had anything close to rust on my cast iron. I will return to my habit of judiciously sweeping the sawdust off my TS top and continue using the wax that has served me so well.

Hopefully saving you from doing the same thing. Yes, treat your top but also . . . keep it cleaned off.

Glenn

Lee Schierer
08-13-2007, 3:19 PM
I have an old jointer that I got used. It's been sitting a while and has some rust on the tables. To remove the rust I'm thinking naval jelly and steel wool. Will that screw anything up? No problem with the steel wool, but I would advise against the Naval Jelly, it will leave black marks behind.

I would suggest a puddle of mineral spirits on the surface and a good rub down with a sctochbrite pad (burgandy color) If you can attach the pad to a vibratory sander, it will be much quicker. Once the rust is gone, wipe off all the mineral spirits with a clean rag and wax the top. Then apply a second coat. Rewax as needed.

The best protection to prevent rust for a table saw top is to run lots of lumber over it every day. The friction of the lumber will keep rust from forming. If you can't do that, then use paste wax or Boeshield T-9.

Edward P. Surowiec
08-13-2007, 7:45 PM
Thank for your reply. I have some T-9 so I'll start with that. The tip about cleaning saw dust off is a good one and I will work hard at following through.

What type of material is used for machine covers?

Ed;)

M Toupin
08-13-2007, 9:11 PM
I have an old jointer that I got used. It's been sitting a while and has some rust on the tables. To remove the rust I'm thinking naval jelly and steel wool. Will that screw anything up?

Use a razor blade in one of those holders to scrape it off. Just be sure to change out the blade frequently and you'll be amazed on how quick and clean it comes off. Buff it out with steel wool or a scotchbrite pad for the final clean up. You can do it by hand, but a ROS will make it go much faster. Top it off with a good waxing with Johnson's paste and your set.

I live in a very humid area, we're less than 2 miles from the cost. The trick to keeping your machines rust free is #1, never let water or moisture sit on them. Clean the machine off at the end of the day and don't let damp sawdust sit on it or you'll be right back were you started DAMHIK! Second, cover your machines (or atleast the bare cast iron) at the end of the day to keep dew or condensation from forming on them which will quickly lead to more rust. A few old bath towels work great to cover things up. With waxing about every 6 mo and covering them I have no problems with rust... unless I sweat on them and don't wipe it up quick :D

Mike