PDA

View Full Version : Sheet goods carrier

Tommy Squires
08-12-2007, 1:25 PM
I know I have seen good quality sheet goods carriers but I can't seem to find a link to one. Looking for a strong simple device so I can more easily move full sheets of MDF and plywood. Any ideas?

Cary Swoveland
08-12-2007, 1:50 PM
You may wish to consider the Gorilla Gripper. See: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=52708&highlight=gripper and another thread referenced therein.

Cary

Gary Keedwell
08-12-2007, 2:26 PM
I have heard some good things about the Gorilla Gripper.

Gary K.

Tommy Squires
08-12-2007, 2:48 PM
Thanks guys. That's the one I was looking for.:) What a great resource SMC is!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-12-2007, 3:23 PM
Tommy,

My grandkids got me a plastic device that looks kinda like a J when viewed from the side. It has a hand hole in it at the top. You place a sheet of plywood or mdf or sheetrock on the hook of the J, put your fingers throught the hole at the top and lift and while supporting the top of the sheet with your other hand. Worked well for carrying the sheet rock and plywood on the walls of my shop and knowing my grandkids only had "allowance" money at the time the got it for me....it wasn't expensive.

Don Taylor
08-12-2007, 5:14 PM
I have the Gorilla Gripper. It works as they say and comes in Very, Very handy. It is a well made tool.

DT

Craig D Peltier
08-12-2007, 5:45 PM
I saw one in a magazine homemade. Handsaw with bolt and hook in the end. Guess it works.

Paul Wingert
08-12-2007, 6:36 PM
Tommy,

My grandkids got me a plastic device that looks kinda like a J when viewed from the side. It has a hand hole in it at the top. You place a sheet of plywood or mdf or sheetrock on the hook of the J, put your fingers throught the hole at the top and lift and while supporting the top of the sheet with your other hand. Worked well for carrying the sheet rock and plywood on the walls of my shop and knowing my grandkids only had "allowance" money at the time the got it for me....it wasn't expensive.

I think they are around $7-10 at the home centers. I have one too, and it is a godsend for getting sheet goods in the basement (our stairway has a low ceiling).

Dan Clark
08-12-2007, 10:31 PM
If you're taller than about 5'10" and need to carry sheetgoods up and down stairs, then the Gripper is a useful tool. At 5'6", I find it difficult to use. If you want to pull sheet goods out of a vertical rack or up onto a horizontal surface, the the Gripper is OK. Otherwise, I'd pass.

The Telpro Troll is far better to move sheet goods around the shop: http://www.amazon.com/Telpro-300-Pound-Capacity-Handler-TROLL/dp/B0000224PA/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_b/102-3100384-4329755. It's much easier to use than the Gorilla Gripper for moving heavy sheets around.

Regards,

Dan.

frank shic
08-13-2007, 12:08 AM
it's the next best thing to another person!

Gary Keedwell
08-13-2007, 7:02 AM
it's the next best thing to another person!
Yea, and you don't have to treat "him" to beers when the job is done.:eek: :D

Gary K.