PDA

View Full Version : Stickley Wall Cabinet in Lacewood

Mike Cutler
08-12-2007, 11:07 AM
I thought I'd share a little project I just completed. It's a Stickley Wall Cabinet in lacewood. The original design appears in the book," Making Authentic Craftsman Furniture", on pages 42 & 43.

The construction for the main carcass is all stopped dados. The back is shipplapped to allow for expansion/contraction.
All of the dado'd joints are end grain to face grain and were epoxied and screwed together with wenge plugs covering the screwheads.
The hardware is 2 mock strap hinges, set against two mortisless hinges. The cabinet handle/latch is an eBay purchase.
Finish is Watco's Danish Oil.

First pic is the drawing in the book. Starting point, so to say. You can see my chicken scratching to resize the cabinet.

I decided to take two pic's. One inside on the bench , and one outside. The grain and color of the wood are hard to get a pic of. I tried the best I could with the cheap camers I have. The Pic inside has a lot of shadow casting.

Paul Douglass
08-12-2007, 11:11 AM
Very nice job, Mike. That is really a unique cabinet. Do you know the purpose or history of that type of cabinet? Great job building it.

Craig D Peltier
08-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Nice cabinet!
I have been thinking of using Lacewood for a dresser top with African Mahogany base.
Interesting grain in lacewood, subtle but always visible.

Allan Brown
08-12-2007, 12:35 PM
That is a great looking cabinet! Congratulations! I'm curious too about what the cabinet was originally designed for. What will you do with it?

Alex Shanku
08-12-2007, 2:27 PM
Awesome. Lacewood is a very handsome wood to use. One of my favorite for small table tops, etc...

Jim Becker
08-12-2007, 3:56 PM
Beautiful work, Mike!

Gary Herrmann
08-12-2007, 5:26 PM
Wow, great job. That turned out beautifully.

Alan Tolchinsky
08-12-2007, 6:40 PM
That is so pretty; love the lacewood. You looked like you did that original design proud. Congrats.

Ron Jones near Indy
08-12-2007, 6:48 PM
Great looking cabinet--lacewood is one of my favorites. I, too, wonder what its purpose originally was.

Mark Valsi
08-12-2007, 7:17 PM
MIKE,

very very nice project !!

Mike Cutler
08-12-2007, 7:22 PM
Very nice job, Mike. That is really a unique cabinet. Do you know the purpose or history of that type of cabinet? Great job building it.

I don't know what the original design intention was, or if one was ever really built by Stickley. It's fairly large, and the cupboard space is generous, so I'm certain that it will get "filled up". LOML saw the pen and ink drawing in the book, and really wanted it built. She also picked the lacewood, and hardware.
The book is a collection of drawings, there are no photos, so I don't really know any history associated with the cabinet.
It's a nice cabinet. It took me awhile to get it finished, but I'm pleased with the end result.

Thank you all for the kind words. I'll be sure to have Lee (LOML) read them. it really was "her" project. I had the easy part of the job, I just ran the machines.:D ,;)

Steve Clardy
08-12-2007, 7:40 PM
Looks great Mike!

Mike Wilkins
08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
You did a great job on this cabinet Mike. I have the same book and plan to build one myself in the future. Nice choice of wood also. I would have never thought of using this species. May have to try it myself.

Mike Cutler
08-13-2007, 12:08 PM
You did a great job on this cabinet Mike. I have the same book and plan to build one myself in the future. Nice choice of wood also. I would have never thought of using this species. May have to try it myself.

Mike.
I found that the dimensions in the book made the wall cabinet look very "crate like" in appearance. The one I made is longer than the one in the book, but the height is close to the book. Taller, but not in relationship to the changes in length.

If you have problems finding hardware, give me a shout. Quality hardware is getting increasingly difficult to locate, especially hinges. I went with mock hinges because I couldn't find a high enough quality strap hinge, in that size, without having it made.