I bought a new ShopFox W1705 jointer. This is the same as the W1684 15" jointer
but with the better cutterhead.

Yesterday, I assembled the machine and plugged it in. The power light went on
and I pushed the start button to test how it ran. It started and ran about 15
seconds. There was a very slight rattle while it ran. Then the motor stopped. I
noticed the power light was off. I tried to restart the motor but it would not
start. I turned the off button but it had no effect and the power light was
still off.

I moved it to another 220 volt power source and nothing changed. I plugged other
machines into both power outlets and they ran. I waited an hour and still no
power to the switch. The breakers on my electrical panel didn't trip. I checked
my plug that installed and it appears to be OK. Does the machine have a breaker
somewhere? What is wrong?

One other problem is that the fence won't move. I installed it on the key way
and used powdered graphite but it won't budge.

Joe:(

Mike Cutler
08-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Joe.

Your manual shows a current overload settting and reset in the switch assy. There may also be a reset plunger on top of the actual motor connection box.

The fence has a funny little nut washer arrangment on the end of the locking handle. Loosen the locking handle all the way and make sure that the nut isn't binding or cocked in the groove. If the fence still doesn't move with everything completely loose, something is out of alignment.

Try to locate the source of the vibration/noise brfore you turn the jointer back on.

Joe McMahon
08-12-2007, 3:08 PM
Mike, thanks for the reply.

I took the side panel off and found the reset button and got power back again. Once again the machine ran 15 seconds and cut off. I removed the belt guard and found that was what was rattling. I reset the switch and again it ran for 15 seconds and stopped. It sounds normal when it runs. I have no idea what the problem is. This is a 14 amp machine and below the reset button is a knob that sets the amperage and it is on 14 amps.

I'm stumped!

Ed Jolin
08-12-2007, 4:05 PM
Just an idea - remove the belts (i.e. no load) and try again...? If it still trips, then it sounds like a motor issue. If not, possibly something is binding, causing an excessive load.

Nothing worse than a new tool that doesn't work!

Good luck!

-ed

Joe McMahon
08-14-2007, 11:13 AM
I found the breaker on the machine and reset that and got power and it ran for 20 seconds but got the same result. I took the belts off and the motor ran for a minute and the breaker tripped again.

I called the factory and the guy had me set the amp gague higher and same problem. He was stumped so he wanted to send me a new breaker to install.

Not being an electrician, I wasn't comfortable with that so I called the dealer. My shop is in rural northern Wisconsin and I bought my jointer and a SawStop from a dealer in Green Bay. The dealer offered to send his guy to my shop (120 miles away) if the manufacturer would pay for the service call. A little while later the manufacturer called to tell me how easy the install is and that they would not pay for the dealer to come out and make the repair. He also said the warranty is for parts for 2 years, not labor. He offered the part or a refund. I said I'd take a refund.

I called the dealer back and he said he would refund my money if I bring the saw back. I have no way of getting it there so he said I could ship it at my expense. Since I don't want another $200 or more shipping charge, I agreed to accept the part and try the repair.

I started to think about it. When you add the shipping and tax, I paid over $1,500 for something that doesn't work. I bought a working machine and paid for delivery to my door and got less. I got a $1,500 repair job.

As I said, my shop is in northern Wisconsin. I get about 25 days a year in my shop. I have lost the last seven with a broken machine. I probably should have kept my 6" Delta that worked fine.

Sorry about the rant, but I don't think ShopFox treated me right.