PDA

View Full Version : Japanese chisel ID ???

Graham Skinner
08-11-2007, 9:17 PM
Hi All

I just got these chisels from a guy at ebay, anyone know who the maker is ?, also they were sold as haveing boxwood handles, one of the handles is a bright yellow wood anybody know what type of wood it is?.

Thanks for reading this...Graham...

Wiley Horne
08-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Hello Graham,

Can't help with the chisel maker. The handle is 'gumi', which is a premium chisel handle and tool handle wood in Japan. Gumi is always referred to as 'boxwood', but it is not the same genus ('Buxus') as western boxwood. Here is a reference on gumi:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goumi

To my knowledge, they don't put gumi on poor chisels, so it's a good sign you have it. I also like the looks of the handle/blade connection on your chisels. Take a look at the bevel and see if the cutting steel wraps the backing nicely--that's also a good sign, especially on these smaller chisels.

Wiley

David DeCristoforo
08-11-2007, 11:05 PM
Someone over at Daiku Dojo should be able to read the label for you if you send them the pics. Email: info@daikudojo.org

Jay van Arsdale email: ksehrhardt@aol.com
Herman Hsu email: hermanhsu@yahoo.com

Pam Niedermayer
08-12-2007, 2:03 AM
Probably Miyanaga.

Pam

Graham Skinner
08-12-2007, 1:04 PM
Thanks guys and gal

To be honest he told me that they were Miyanaga chisels, but when I compare the lable on these to the Miyanaga chisels that japan woodworker sells the lables look very different!

Below is a photo of the Miyanaga lables from japan woodworker.

Wiley Horne
08-12-2007, 4:05 PM
Graham,

No reason to think your ebay dealer was wrong--Pam got it right.

Thing to bear in mind is that most Japanese chisel makers will make different lines of chisels, at different price points. They may differ in regard to cutting steel (blue steel, white steel, superblue steel); backing metal (iron vs. soft steel); handle material; the hoop (stamped vs. forged). They will sell the different lines to various vendors for appropriate prices. The labels will be different on the different lines.

Now the Japan Woodworker Miyanaga's are blue steel w/wrought iron backing, and w/forged hoops, the last time I looked. They go for $80-$100 or so.

You got a name brand chisel that has signs of quality about it for a very good price, if I have the correct dealer in mind. But it's not the same piece of goods that JWW is selling. True high-end chisels won't get remaindered on ebay for cents on the dollar, even if the vendor goes belly.

Wiley

Graham Skinner
08-12-2007, 4:29 PM
Thanks Wiley.

Please don't get me wrong about my purchase, I like these chisels very much and the price that I got the for was very good (unbeatable in fact).
I just like to know who makes the tools that I use, and what materials they are made from.
By the way "Thanks" for letting me know a bit about the makers lables, as I thought that each blacksmith had his own brand lable for the stuff they made ( bit like ford and honda has for their cars)

Thanks again...Graham...

Wiley Horne
08-12-2007, 7:21 PM
Graham,

Please forgive my lecturing tone in last post. The people acquiring those Miyanagas at those prices are doing very well indeed (in my opinion)! I might suggest you try to pick up a couple of push chisels (slicks) if they come available.

Wiley

Graham Skinner
08-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi Wiley

I bought a 9mm miyanaga paring chisel at the same time as I got the ones in the photo, but the seller sent a different make of paring chisel by mistake, I contacted him, and he refunded the full amount for it, and said I could keep the chisel for free(which I was very happy to do) with the refund I bought a 24mm miyanaga butt chisel from him, as it was a size I did not have, I will post a photo of it for you when it arrive's.