PDA

View Full Version : Odd Engraving Thing Happened

Joe Pelonio
08-11-2007, 8:31 PM
Hopefully this is just due to my initial error, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I was engraving pretty much all the way across on a 12x24 sheet of 1/4" birch plywood.

I sent the job, then remembered I had not turned on the laser. I didn't get an error message, and after it booted up the job, the file was there so I ran it.

The first 1/2" or so engraved nicely at speed 35 as I had set it. Then it suddenly sped up to what appeared to be 100% speed and ran the rest of the job that way, of course not going very deep.

I re-sent the file, and re-ran it, this time all was well and it went the whole way at the correct speed. Possibly just an error caused by the file being sent to the off laser?

Nancy Laird
08-11-2007, 8:49 PM
Joe, don't know about your Epilog, but we were told by our ULS guy not to send a job to the laser until the ready light comes on. Has to power up and get ready to roll. Did it once - it ran the job but it didn't look right so we had to rerun it.

Nancy (132 days)

Joe Pelonio
08-11-2007, 9:01 PM
I was told that too, but thought I'd try it. Guess that's why they say not to do it.

Eric Allen
08-12-2007, 4:14 AM
Hopefully this is just due to my initial error, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

I was engraving pretty much all the way across on a 12x24 sheet of 1/4" birch plywood.

I sent the job, then remembered I had not turned on the laser. I didn't get an error message, and after it booted up the job, the file was there so I ran it.

The first 1/2" or so engraved nicely at speed 35 as I had set it. Then it suddenly sped up to what appeared to be 100% speed and ran the rest of the job that way, of course not going very deep.

I re-sent the file, and re-ran it, this time all was well and it went the whole way at the correct speed. Possibly just an error caused by the file being sent to the off laser?

I do this really often, though I'm using a different driver I suspect. It works fine for me, but I usually don't run very large files. I actually do it on purpose, because my laser has a habit of not staying connected to the computer for very long. I've sent 2 jobs before turning on the laser and had no problems.

Bill Cunningham
08-14-2007, 9:58 PM
If your printer spool is turned on, the computer will print to the spool, and when the port becomes available (i.e. you turned on the machine) the computer will then spool it to the printer (laser)

Leigh Costello
08-16-2007, 11:18 PM
I have done this also and had no problems. My computer geek nephew (he is still in college so I can call him that) explained the spooling and port availability to me. I napped and nodded and it works so I don't ask anymore questions.