PDA

View Full Version : Shelving unit?

Jay Yoder
08-11-2007, 4:55 PM
I have someone who wants me to build a bookshelf for them and my question is what material should i use? They want the case painted black and the shelves will be orange. Because of the paint...i was thinking MDF and maybe double up on the actual shelves...or maybe use plywood for the shelves...what would the most cost effective material and/or design be?

Gary Keedwell
08-11-2007, 5:03 PM
I know this might not be helpful, but I just came back from Wally mart with a sewing table LOML wanted. I haven't opened the box yet but I bet it is MDF. Man is that stuff heavy.

My experiences with MDF have mostly been negative. You have to double up on thickness to get shelves that will not sag. It is not very good with moisture, either.:(
Gary K.

Jim Becker
08-11-2007, 5:59 PM
MDF can be used, but proper support would need to be added to the shelves to handle anticipated load, either in how they are attached if they are stationary or via bracing if they are movable. A piece of angle iron on the bottom/rear of each shelf will help with that, for example. What will be on them is part of that decision and design.

Greg Funk
08-11-2007, 6:29 PM
How wide is the bookcase? I think plywood is a much better choice than MDF. It may require a little extra work to edge the plywood but the result will be stronger and lighter. Birch or soft maple would be cost effective and take paint well.

Greg

Jay Yoder
08-11-2007, 6:50 PM
i was thinking about plywood, but was not sure how to treat the edge other than banding it with hardwood strips...i figure it to be 36w x 12d...just a typical bookshelf...maybe a hardwood (poplar) across the front of each shelf...anywhere i may go for cheap (or better yet) free plans? Thank you for your comments so far.

Jim Becker
08-11-2007, 7:18 PM
In effect, the MDF would require "edging", too, Jay. You'll need to do extra steps to fill the edges in order for them to match the smooth faces after painting.

Randal Stevenson
08-11-2007, 8:00 PM
I know I might have to duck and run, but my local borg has some decent 7 ply, plywood. Thicker and a lot less voids then their stuff that varies. Being painted black with orange insides makes me think it is for something like a college dorm room. I would think it would be good enough for that with either a popular or even clear pine front and a rib under the shelves.

It is that time of year for college to start.

Richard M. Wolfe
08-11-2007, 11:27 PM
The front edge of the shelves need to have facings on them whether you're using plywood or mdf. Plywood plies need to be covered and a cut face of mdf would take many coats of paint and much sanding to get smooth. Putting a facing of an inch and a quarter or so acts like a rib and really stiffens the shelf. I've had occasion withing the past couple weeks to buy both mdf and paint grade birch and at the local lumberyard there was only a dollar or so difference a sheet.

Jay Yoder
08-12-2007, 5:29 PM
so it sounds that I should edge the plywood case with a hardwood and "rib" the shelves with say poplar, then sand and fill with maybe thin drywall mud, and sand again. That sound like it will work? it is actually for a middle school student whose school colors are Orange and Black and he is also a Bengals fan! Any other suggestions for fillers? i thought i saw the drywall mud trick in a shop-notes from a while back...

Gary Keedwell
08-12-2007, 5:43 PM
Hey...Orange and Black...my high school colors!!!:D

Gary K. ( but I'm a New England Patriots fan...for over 40 years.);)

Greg Funk
08-12-2007, 6:39 PM
so it sounds that I should edge the plywood case with a hardwood and "rib" the shelves with say poplar, then sand and fill with maybe thin drywall mud, and sand again. That sound like it will work? it is actually for a middle school student whose school colors are Orange and Black and he is also a Bengals fan! Any other suggestions for fillers? i thought i saw the drywall mud trick in a shop-notes from a while back...
If you're going to paint it you can use a two part filler that will be stronger than the drywall mud and it will dry quicker as well.

Greg

Ron Jones near Indy
08-12-2007, 6:52 PM
Consider poplar and soft maple. IMHO, easier and more serviceable than MDF.

Richard M. Wolfe
08-12-2007, 11:32 PM
A closed grained wood like maple or pine would be good for facings so you won't be painting till next year.

Eddie Darby
08-13-2007, 10:04 AM
I find this calculator helps when it comes to building shelves.

http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm

Kent Fitzgerald
08-13-2007, 10:12 AM
My experiences with MDF have mostly been negative. You have to double up on thickness to get shelves that will not sag. It is not very good with moisture, either.:(
Gary K.
Not to mention... the DUST! Unless you have really good dust collection, one project with the stuff will leave every surface in your shop coated with a film of superfine brown powder. A good respirator is a must.

dan moran
08-13-2007, 3:28 PM
3/4" birch ply case(w/ 1/4" lauan back), 1x poplar face frame, 1x poplar shelves.

2 coats of primer

1 coat paint

done

Gary Muto
08-13-2007, 3:57 PM
I would suggest Medium density Overlay (MDO) Plywood. It is smooth and takes apint well. You can edgeband it or use solid wood strips on the leading edge.

Greg Cole
08-13-2007, 4:03 PM
I'd stray away from MDF too... I did some of my early projects with it for kids shelves etc... and the abuse kids (young and old) can put on a piece is amazing & not just on the edges of MDF. Also the dust is nasty for me, it's the only "ww'ing' dust that bothers me at all.
Poplar, soft maple...etc are good choices and depending on locale the price will wander a little.

Sorry to pick on a typo, but it caught my eye... and my sense of humor...
it takes "apint well".... I've been known to take a pint or 2 rather well too, but prefer mine frosty cold! :D

Greg

Bill White
08-13-2007, 4:23 PM
Shelves will be too long for MDF or Melamine. Use ply with a "lip nose" molding or edge with hardwood. Any fillling you may need to do can be done with Bondo. Then paint
Bill

Gary Muto
08-13-2007, 4:42 PM
Yeah! :rolleyes: I meant paint. My typing isn't so good after apint or two.... It must be 5 o'clock somewhere.
I was surprised that no one else mentioned MDO. My brother is an artist and uses it for indoor and outdoor Murals with a variety of paints. He doesn't drink until he's done though.

Pat Germain
08-13-2007, 5:42 PM
I recently built a basic shelving unit with 3/4 birch plywood. I covered the edges with oak, but you could use pretty much any wood if you're going to paint it. In case you're interested, I posted some pics which you can see on this thread:

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=61995

I stained and varnised my bookcase, but paint would be easier. Have fun!