PDA

View Full Version : Burning hole in pocket....

Richard Link
08-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I recently sold some tools that I wasn't using and have a bit of cash to put toward workshop improvement. I wanted to ask a specific question of the creekers about what they would recommend. I'm pretty well set up with good quality basics including an 8" jointer, good table saw, reasonably good band saw. At this point, I'm trying to decide between upgrading my Dewalt 735 planer to a larger capacity floor unit (A powermatic 15" which I have a lock on for a deal) or perhaps buying a drum sander for finish sanding (not thicknessing).

I've been happy with the Dewalt but now have 220 V in the workshop and am interested in perhaps upgrading to a more powerful machine for larger projects. Would I be seeing a significant increase in performance (i.e. enjoyment) of a larger machine such as this or would it make more sense to add the additional capability of a drum sander since I already have a very servicable planer.

I've read a lot of bad things about budget priced drum sanders such as the Performax/Jet 16-32 (which would be the one in my price range). But...also some good things. I make quite a few drawers and it might be nice to decrease the amount of random orbit sanding I need to do...

I suppose the other alternative would be to buy a large lathe. I have one of those tiny Jet mini lathes which I enjoy but I haven't really been bitten by the turning bug. Perhaps a larger lathe capable of spindles and bowls would change that....

Thanks for your insight. I realize this is a random question but I've been doing this for about 2 years and would value more experienced insight.

Thanks!

Rick

Michael Schwartz
08-11-2007, 11:21 AM
A 13" planer is very versitile as is, and will handle most dimmensional lumber. A drum sander in addition to the dewalt would handle your wider panels, and thickness shop cut veneer.

The 735 is a great planer, as long as you don't use it to plane large volumes of wood. It also produces a better cut than some stationary models. My advice, if you are not working with large volumes, get the drum sander.

If you plan to dimmension large quanities of rough sawn lumber, get a stationary planer. You might also want to look at the 15" Delta X5, I have worked with one of these a bit and they are great machines.

You might also want to look into adding on a carbide cutterhead, as they will handle highly figured woods, and they will last a long time.

From what I have head about the lower end drum sanders, the ones with the open end have problems with deflection, causing the surface to go out of parallel. Also they are generally hobyist machines and won't hold up under heavy production use.

If you get the drum sander, you might eventually come accross a good deal on a used planer some day.