PDA

View Full Version : starter pin in Grizzly tablesaw extension

Stephen Pereira
08-11-2007, 6:27 AM
Hi,

I just recently pirchased Grizzly 1023 tablesaw with router table extension. The cast iron extension does not have provisions for a starter pin.. I am thinking of drilling/tapping hole in the cast iron extension for one.. anybody else do this?

SCOTT ANDREWS
08-11-2007, 9:29 AM
Stephen.
My 1023SLX doesn't have the router table,but I did drill and tap the Left extension wing on the side for a sliding table with no problems.

glenn bradley
08-11-2007, 10:46 AM
Drilling and tapping your CI should be no problem. CI is pretty soft. I use 1/4" x 20 threads as I can make my own starter pins out of cut off 1/4" x 20 bolts.

Stephen Pereira
08-11-2007, 4:25 PM
Thanks for the replies.

The mechanics of drilling/tapping isn't the problem.. the problem is drilling into my brand new table saw top. I can't quite bring myself to do it.

However, a router table isn't complete without a starter pin so I guess I'll grit my teeth and do it.

I'm setting the saw up while I await the Hitachi router I just purchased from Amazon.. thanks to a tip from this forum. I reworked the Grizzly miter.. added an aluminum extension salvaged from a defunct 4" jointer fence. I had to machine the miter head and jointer fence .. now I have a 30" aluminum extension that is straight and square to the world.

I am new to woodworking .. buying a few tools.. learning techniques etc. I found this forum and am impressed with the knowledge and friendly atmoshere. I have a fairly well equipped small metal working machine shop.. lathes,Bridgeport and assorted metal working tools. I find wood working a little more .. shall we say.. forgiving..the tolerances are not as exacting . However, it takes a lot of skill to produce good looking and functional furniture. I am looking forward to my new hobby .

Steve