PDA

View Full Version : New Hand Plane Rack *PICS*

John Weber
01-24-2004, 12:17 PM
I completed my new plane rack this week. It was about a week project, including finish, a clear record for me as far as productivity. While I’m a power guy, I do like hand planes, I use a few, and collect a few. I like the high end planes, as well as #3’s and block planes, especially with chrome caps. Anyway, my collection had overwhelmed my first plane rack, and I wanted something to contain them. I really don’t plan that many additions, so hopefully there is enough room to grow.

The sketches were done months ago, if not a year or more, but lots of other stuff is going on. It’s roughly 12” deep, by 38” long, and 30” high. The case is solid quarter and rift sawn white oak and the shelves are edged oak plywood. Now that it is installed it does extend out a bit far, but hopefully it will not interfere with bench operations. I think I’ll be ok 99% of the time. If I did it again I think I would make it a upside down “L”, to have some more bench clearance. But with a small shop, there is only so much space. Anyway, the case is dovetailed, and the shelves are attached with sliding dovetails. They finally were beaten into submission. The finish is Deft, as there was some concern that the oak might react with the iron in the planes. And Deft is about the only finish I could easily apply in the cool/cold shop.

I did this in oak as a warm up to a radiator cover/built in bookcase that will go in our office. I haven’t built a case piece in awhile so I thought a little practice wouldn’t be a bad thing. The oak is from Frank Miller Lumber, and I think some of even came via Ray Thompson’s Pond’O’Rama. Thanks Ray. There are a couple flaws here and there, but hey it’s a shop utility cabinet – right. I need to learn to “LEAVE THE FINISH ALONE”. I think I’ll rub it out a bit in a couple days. I also cut up some sanding mats to protect the blades, I see if I like that or not.

It was good to get in the shop again, I haven’t done any focused woodworking for awhile, and this was the first of several projects we hope to complete this Winter. Thanks for looking and I appreciate the help and advice along the way:

Here is my first plane rack, built about six or seven years and modified a couple times since, it was unfinished popular and used nails and dados:

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pond/planerackold.jpg

Here is my sketch I made a long time ago:

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pond/planeracksketch.jpg

Here is the new plane rack hung in place and loaded:

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pond/planerackfront.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pond/planerackside2.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pond/planerackside.jpg

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pond/planerackdovetail2.jpg

Thanks for Looking – John

Jim Becker
01-24-2004, 12:31 PM
That's really beautiful, John. The dovetails really make for a lovely look...not to mention they are strong for holding all that iron! I guess I have to add yet another thing to my project list... :rolleyes:

David Klug
01-24-2004, 1:10 PM
Very nice John, I like, I like, I like!!

DK

Tyler Howell
01-24-2004, 2:22 PM
Great work John, Great work.

Dave Anderson NH
01-24-2004, 5:32 PM
I really like your design John, it came out great. Normally this post should be moved to the hand tool side of things, but I think this should stay here to seduce, err excuse me, INDUCE some of the power junkies to mend their evil ways. LOL :D Remember folks, most of us work with both hand AND power tools.

Now John, about those open spaces in the plane rack........

Rusty Hughes, Indy
01-24-2004, 5:56 PM
Very Well Done! Not bad work for a Buckeye fan!

John Weber
01-24-2004, 6:11 PM
Thanks everyone,

Dave, I love your plane till and studied it several times, but with limited time, when for a simple shelf. I'm still a primary power user, so it doesn't need to be super functional, more storage and a little display. But see even a power guy can fall down the slope thus the posting on the power side verses the dark side.

Thanks Again - John

John Weber
01-24-2004, 6:12 PM
Most of the nice planes were gifts, starting with the Lie-Nielsen 62 from my wife. I got hooked on number 3's after my Dad gave me my Grandfathers #3 a couple years ago for my Birthday, I'll still pick a couple up, looking for variety (Miller Falls, Keen Kutter, Craftsman, Shelton, Union, etc...) The molding planes were also a gift, except for 1 or 2 I picked up. As for the block planes, I had a little problem here. My main users are a low angle and standard angle modern "contractor" grade Stanley, well until Kim gave me a sweet LN 103. The others are mostly ebay purchases. If it looked like it might be decent, but had a bad picture or description (but a possible hidden treasure), and bidding started at $5, I would bid. I got a couple stinkers, but mostly decent planes. I then really looked for chrome caps (and still like those). Finally I realized I was still spending too much on planes, so basically stopped looking and bidding - although I peak occasionally. So there you have my basic collection story. I did get a Veritas scraper plane for Christmas this year, and still want a shoulder plane, and maybe a #7.

Thanks again for checking it out - John

P.S. Also a #8, a low angle smoother, and maybe a LN #3, ok it doesn't end, help it's a slippery slope...

John Miliunas
01-24-2004, 6:15 PM
Wouldchya' look at ALL that iron?! Whew...Glad you clarified that thing about "collecting" them, lest we yank your Electron Killing license! Yeah, I agree about the dovetails. Very nice look and can't be beat for strength. Good looking piece and I couldn't find the supposed "flaws"! Hmmmm...Maybe I should build one. Shouldn't take to long to whip something up for all *three* of my planes! <G> :cool:

Todd Burch
01-24-2004, 8:21 PM
John, that is a MUCH better use of that space with your new rack. Good job.

But, I can't quit make out what is hanging over your back door in that picture frame. At first guess, I would have said rat pelts, but, I'm sure I'm wrong. (I hope). :o

Glenn Clabo
01-24-2004, 8:30 PM
I can't quit make out what is hanging over your back door in that picture frame. At first guess, I would have said rat pelts, but, I'm sure I'm wrong. (I hope). :o

You scare me! :D

John Weber
01-24-2004, 8:42 PM
Guys,

Thanks! John, only three planes, now that you have your big iron, you need to go to the dark side. Todd, good guess, but it is a poster of Lab puppies, one chocolate, one yellow, and so on. Someone once called our chocolate lab a pit bull, go figure, but never a rat.

John

P.S. Rat Pelts, is that a Texas thing...

David LaRue
01-25-2004, 10:08 AM
Great Job John!

It should be featured in a magazine!... Very nice.

I like you aproach.. "This is a warm up to" .. another project. This is what I am doing with my shop cabinet, and the mission finish. I haven't made any "real" furniture in a while, and I have three projects planed that need different finishes, and different joints, and different woods.

Looks like you're all warmed up and ready for the batter's box. I'm still futlzing around, not quite ready for the on deck circle.

Looks great, now you have to post pics of your next project.

Dave

Mark Singer
01-25-2004, 10:19 AM
John,
Its like an "International Airport" with all those planes!Your going to need a air traffic controler just to maintain safety and order. Great job! nics collection.

Robert Ducharme
01-25-2004, 9:26 PM
Whats a plane?

Bob Lasley
01-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Very nicely done John! Like the others, I think the dovetails really add the right touch.

Bob

John Weber
01-26-2004, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys, you are all very kind. It is fun to actually get something done in the shop. I have so little free time, it's easy to shop for tools and read the forums, but doing something in the shop is relaxing and very enjoyable.

John