PDA

View Full Version : Ever take your router apart and forget how to put it back together??

Jason White
08-10-2007, 6:01 PM
I did!

Took my Bosch 1617EVS apart to replace a bad switch.

Not having done this before, I ended up taking much more of it apart than I had to. Long story short -- I ended up replacing the cord (don't ask), brushes, a couple of terminals, etc. etc.

The "first" time I got it back together and tested it, the "variable speed" control didn't work. UGH!! Took it apart again and moved some wires around. Finally looked at a wiring diagram online and figured it out.

Next time, I think I'll take a picture of my router's "guts" so I can remember how to re-assemble it (or I'll just take it to the repair shop and let them worry about it).

JW

Mark Engel
08-10-2007, 6:43 PM
Router? NO!

ROS? YES!

Never again! :confused:

Steve Clardy
08-10-2007, 6:51 PM
No. Not a router. Nothing comes to mind at the moment though. [Scratching head :confused: ]
I have one apart now, awaiting new bearings from town so I can put it back together.

Always do most all of my repairs.

I was in the trucking industry for close to 25 years. Mechanic.

I try not to let things lay around too long tore apart.
Parts get lost, brain get confused :confused: :D :D

Cliff Rohrabacher
08-10-2007, 7:31 PM
Yah snap a pix or take copious notes.

Jude Tuliszewski
08-10-2007, 8:55 PM
Taking moving pictures works even better, can watch over and over and over... and still with a puzzled look :confused: .

Ed Garrett
08-10-2007, 8:58 PM
14 years ago I did surgery on mine when I started noticing a disturbing sound for several seconds after the bit stopped spinning. I found the problem to be that a little cooling turbine had detached from it's axle, the main shaft. When I got it reassembled, something else sounded loose inside. I mentally pictured a disentigrating 20,000 rpm bomb in my hands. I figured better safe than sorry and replaced it with a Bosch 1614, which is still going strong. I've liked the Bosch so much that I have been thinking the 1613EVS would be my next choice, but considering all the switch failures I've read about, I'll have to take another look.

Sincerely,
Ed Garrett
Tallahassee

frank shic
08-10-2007, 11:30 PM
jason, i had the same experience when i tried to replace the 1617evs power switch - TWICE! thank goodness they finally came out with the new version with the clear plastic shield. did you have fun trying to get the motor core back in the body? i found another use for my allen wrench that day!

joe greiner
08-11-2007, 6:10 AM
"Film" for digital cameras is so cheap, it makes sense to take pictures at every step of the disassembly. Poor picture quality isn't a hindrance. Then, just look at the pictures in reverse for re-assembly. Probably better than movies. Also, baggies for parts specific to each step, with the whole collection in another bag.

Joe

scott spencer
08-11-2007, 7:32 AM
Yep! :eek: One Saturday morning when it was still too early to use the machines, I tore apart my Freud FT2000E like a curious kid...it's not user accessible and I ended up breaking the brushes putting it back together. Fortunately new brushes were < $15, and I was able to get it back together within a week with about an hour's work....the benefit was it had new brushes! :o :rolleyes:

Jason White
08-11-2007, 7:51 AM
Yeah -- the brushes kept getting in the way while I tried to put the motor-core back in (they're spring-loaded). I ended up removing the brushes and figured I might as well replace since I've got them out.

You've got me worried, though. The replacement switch Bosch sent me does not have the "plastic shield" that you referred to. The switch they sent me is identical to the one I replaced. Ugh!!

Jason

jason, i had the same experience when i tried to replace the 1617evs power switch - TWICE! thank goodness they finally came out with the new version with the clear plastic shield. did you have fun trying to get the motor core back in the body? i found another use for my allen wrench that day!

frank shic
08-11-2007, 10:13 AM
jason, just ask them to send you another switch so that you'll be prepared when the switch fails AGAIN!

Phil Thien
08-11-2007, 5:38 PM
My DW618 had a bad bearing (the one closer to the bit). Took it apart a little but then realized I didn't know how to go any further. Turns out it was under warranty so I'm glad I didn't try any more than that.