PDA

View Full Version : router size

Ken Tucker
08-10-2007, 5:35 PM
Hello , every one . I'm going to make a router table . Why you ask ! because I love a challenge . I have a 1 1/2 , 2 hp craft. and 2hp 1613evs plunge Bosch , neither have above table adj. I have been locking at the Furred 1700 , and Hitachi v12 , Bosch 1617 2 1/4 hp. Any suggestions any one. Thanks

Mike Heidrick
08-10-2007, 7:23 PM
Hello and welcome to SMC.

One idea might be to make the router table designed for a standard plate insert (like one from woodpeckers - they have very nice alum ones and phenolic plates as well). Buy one to fit a router you own already and use it by lifting the plate out of the table when needed. Then if you buy a bigger 3+hp one latter on like a Porter Cable 7518 or Milwaukee 5625 you can get the plate that fits it and just drop it in. You can also add a lift at a latter time as well if you do not like lifting the plate. Many home built router table ideas out there. They are very nice to build.

Norm's NYW plan is a good design to get some ideas from. Also plan you table for a fence you will like. Decide if you want traditional or an Incra type of fence.

BTW - what is a Furred 1700 - Freud?

glenn bradley
08-10-2007, 11:09 PM
First off, Welcome! I applaud you for making your own table. I think you will enjoy it and you will be able to modify the design to meet your particular needs. I used a factory top but many others have made their own with success.

Do a search on 'router cabinet' here at the Creek. Here's my saga:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46933

Many others share their adventures here as well.

I run the 3 1/2 HP Milwaukee 5625 and am very glad I went for the extra power; the thing is a beast. My dad went for the 2 1/4 Triton which almost eliminates the need for a lift. Very good reviews when using all but the largest bits. Too good, they ran out. He's been waiting almost 2 months for his to come in. They should be plentiful very soon.

Once again. Welcome.

Charles Fernald
08-10-2007, 11:56 PM
I have a small Jet shaper that I do most of my router table funtions on. It has the advantage of being able to do almost all of the router table tasks but also comes with 1/2" and 3/4" spindels to accept shaper knives. This makes custom profiles cheap and easy to obtain and can handle much larger profiles than a router. It also has a larger hp motor. One other advantage is that it doesn't thow shavings all over the shop.

Regards,
Charles

Randal Stevenson
08-11-2007, 5:12 AM
The Hitachi MV12 works with the router raizer, the Bosch you can adjust height from above the table, and the Freud is currently in several bargain alert places for Lowe's doing closeouts.

The MV12 is your larger of the three and I believe it's the one I've seen via the router guys on thewoodworkingchannel.com. Both the Bosch and Freud are generally well liked, but I am unsure it the Freud comes with multiple bases (so you could leave one in the table).

Whatever you do, LOOK AT PLATE SIZE!!!!! As you progress more, you tend to get routed into buying a table only, monster router. Also figure out how you want to work. Remove the plate and router to change bits, or lift above the table. Or would you be better over time, finding router bargains and placing them in another plate, with a different bit, presetup.

scott spencer
08-11-2007, 7:42 AM
Hi Ken - Building a router table is a very worthwhile project.

In the past 6 years or so I've owned a Freud FT2000E, Milwaukee 5615, MW 5625, and a Freud FT1700 (http://www.epinions.com/content_228357738116). I've like different aspects of everyone of those routers. I sold the FT2000E to offset the cost of the MW5625 (http://www.epinions.com/content_245903494788), which is just a nicer table router than the FT2000 IMHO. Then I had to sell the MW5615 to pay for the FT1700....I do miss the BodyGrip of the 5615, and as it turns out, I use the FT1700 in the router table most of the time....I really like all the above table features. Even though the MW5625 is more powerful and makes easier work of the tough jobs like raised panels, the features of the FT1700 make it so nice to use that I just leave it in the table most of the time. I do have the FT1700 and the MW5625 mounted in the same kind of plate, so it's a quick drop in when I want to change them out. The MW5625 does have above table bit changing capability but it requires two wrenches and the removal of the insert to get at both nuts....just not as convenient as the FT1700.

I'm sure any of the routers you're looking at will serve you well.