PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice on Jet 1642 2HP Circuit

Dale Bright
08-10-2007, 4:50 PM
I will be putting my new lathe (Jet 1642 2HP) together tomorrow and an electrican friend and I will be running a 220V 50amp subpanel to my garage. The documentation that came with the lathe does not give a specicfic amperage for the circuit but shows a picture of a 15amp plug. The specs on the motor seem to indicate a 15amp circuit will be enough.

Can someone who has this lathe please advise me on the circuit specs?

I know, no pics, it didn't happen. I will take some pics tomorrow. We are moving into a new house with a very over sized garage and I got the new lathe and a Delta 50-760 1.5 hp dust collector. I have had my Rikon mini in our basement with just a shop vac for DC and the dust has been problematic.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Steven Russell
08-10-2007, 4:55 PM
Hello Dale,

I do not have a 2HP Jet 1642, but I've demonstrated on it several times at The Woodworking Shows and every time I did, the electricians read the motor info and put in a 20 amp line. I hope this helps... Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Louis Harvill
08-10-2007, 7:10 PM
Sir,

A 20 amp setup is all I have on mine and I turn 15" x 2.5" platters reguarly out of walnut. No problem, Motor gets hot to touch when I run it more than a couple of hours, but it just keeps running even in this Texas heat.
In the winter time motor never gets very hot. I have not AC or heat in the shop. Hope this helps. It is one heck of lathe.

louis

Steve Schlumpf
08-10-2007, 9:24 PM
Dale, I have the same lathe and the info plate on the side of the motor lists the amperage as 6.1 @ 220v. I hooked mine up to a 20 amp breaker and have had no problems with it at all.

You will LOVE the lathe!!! Have fun putting it together and we are all looking forward to the photos!

JerHall
08-10-2007, 9:40 PM
and I think it shows something over 8 amps, which is a more accurate estimate of the draw. I think 15 amp 220V would work fine, but 20 amp is surely safe.

Bill Boehme
08-11-2007, 1:57 AM
I will be putting my new lathe (Jet 1642 2HP) together tomorrow and an electrican friend and I will be running a 220V 50amp subpanel to my garage. The documentation that came with the lathe does not give a specicfic amperage for the circuit but shows a picture of a 15amp plug. The specs on the motor seem to indicate a 15amp circuit will be enough.

Can someone who has this lathe please advise me on the circuit specs?

I know, no pics, it didn't happen. I will take some pics tomorrow. We are moving into a new house with a very over sized garage and I got the new lathe and a Delta 50-760 1.5 hp dust collector. I have had my Rikon mini in our basement with just a shop vac for DC and the dust has been problematic.

Thanks in advance,

Dale

Wow, 50 Amps -- that is way overkill and you would be spending a huge amount of money needlessly for that heavy wire and large breaker -- go for 20 Amps -- it costs about the same as 15 and you have a little extra capacity for some accessories or a big beast like the Robust when you move up the ladder one more rung.

Don Eddard
08-11-2007, 4:10 AM
Wow, 50 Amps -- that is way overkill and you would be spending a huge amount of money needlessly for that heavy wire and large breaker -- go for 20 Amps -- it costs about the same as 15 and you have a little extra capacity for some accessories or a big beast like the Robust when you move up the ladder one more rung.
If this is simply a dedicated circuit for the lathe, then I agree. If Dale is talking about powering all his present and future machines, I think a 50 amp panel would be a bare minimum.

Dale Bright
08-11-2007, 7:38 AM
Thanks for all of the good advice. The 50amp panel will have several breakers, some 220 and some 110 to power other devices as well. I don't do any flat work so my other tools are for support of my lathe, drill press, band saw, mini lathe and hand tools.

Don Robert
08-11-2007, 2:36 PM
I would second the advice to go with a 20 amp circuit. 15 would no doubt do it, but you may want to use that circuit for some other power tool in the future. A 20 amp circuit gives you more flexibility. The difference in wire size (cost) is inconsequential. If you feel uneasy, you can always put a 15 amp breaker on the 20 amp circuit (i.e., 12 guage wire), but you don't want to put a 20 amp breaker on a 15 amp circuit (i.e. 14 guage wire). If it were me, I'd string 10 gauge wire (with a 20 amp breaker) so that I could put in a 30 amp breaker if I every wanted that circuit in the future for, say, a large air compressor or a small MIG welder. The wiring cost difference is very small compared to running a new circuit if you needed it.

Dale Bright
08-11-2007, 3:35 PM
Thanks again for all of the great advice. We put in the 60amp subpanel with a dedicated 20amp circuit for the lathe and some 110v 15 amp outlets for smaller tools. I have some room in the subpanel for expansion.