PDA

View Full Version : Bowl #2

Nancy Laird
08-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Well, I've done it again. Small chunk of cherry from John Hart, 5" diameter, 2-1/2" tall, it's thick at about 1/2" (I'm still a chicken), finished with BLO/shellac/friction polish. There were several places where the finish just would NOT shine up, despite my best efforts. Some tearout in the end grain which I wet-sanded with BLO and got filled with the slurry. Did a little something different with the rim. LOML likes it:) .

My little signature lasering on the bottom. Again I used the little 1/4" foot on this bowl. Easy to turn and gives a place for the Oneway to grab when doing the inside.

Comments and critiques welcome.

Nancy (133 days)

Bernie Weishapl
08-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Hey Nancy that is a great 2nd bowl. You will get the walls thinner as time goes. I like the rim around the top. Keep'em coming.

Dick Parr
08-10-2007, 1:19 PM
Very nice Nancy. That's a great bowl.

Steve Schlumpf
08-10-2007, 1:21 PM
Nice 2nd bowl Nancy! It gets easier the more you turn! Have fun with it!

Mike Ramsey
08-10-2007, 1:31 PM
Very nice bowl Nancy! I like it a lot!

Mike A. Smith
08-10-2007, 1:47 PM
Looks great Nancy. IMHO, thickness is just another design choice. My (limited) experience is that when I end up with a really thin one it's because I had to take off more to erase my mistakes.

Mark Pruitt
08-10-2007, 2:30 PM
Nancy, nice job and nice to know that JH is still among the living!

Brett Baldwin
08-10-2007, 2:45 PM
I like it Nancy. That laser signature is mighty nice also.

Nancy Laird
08-10-2007, 3:08 PM
Nancy, nice job and nice to know that JH is still among the living!

Mark, I'm not sure about John. This is from the bundle I ordered from him earlier this year (February?). I haven't seen him around recently either.

Nancy (133 days)

Paul Engle
08-10-2007, 4:27 PM
Nice bowl Nancy, about 1 movies worth of pop corn :eek: :D . The lazering is pretty niffty , I may have aniversary bowl /s to do and will get a quote on the lazering if the customer/s are so inclined.

Steven Russell
08-10-2007, 4:58 PM
Hello Nancy,

That's a very nice bowl! I guess you have your own laser to do the engraving... Cool! :-) Keep up the good work! Take care and all the best to you and yours!

Allen Neighbors
08-10-2007, 6:25 PM
Nice Bowl, Nancy... if 'he' likes it, you're in like Flynn (whoever that is...)
I'm curious about the laser printing... can you explain it for the dummies among us... (me)?

Nancy Laird
08-10-2007, 6:35 PM
I'm curious about the laser printing... can you explain it for the dummies among us... (me)?

Allen, thank you and everyone for the nice compliments on my bowl.:)

Laser engraving is a process whereby materials are marked by a laser beam created in the machine through a lens. The machine is run by a CO2 tube (on the smaller machines), and essentially acts as a printer. The design/graphic is created on the computer through a graphics program such as CorelDraw, then sent to print on the laser engraver. The engraver will not only engrave various materials - wood, acrylic, marble, granite, glass, metals (we don't do those), but it will also cut (vector) wood and acrylic. It isn't a complicated machine to learn to run, if you have any computer experience at all, and can read the manuals, but the learning curve on CorelDraw is very steep, as with all graphics programs.

In this case, my husband created the logo on the computer screen, then imported a scan of my signature, put a circle around it, and voila!! there's a logo. Depth of engraving is controlled by both power and speed - a high power and a slow speed with make a deeper engraving than high power and high speed. Cutting is done at a very slow speed 1% or slower, for a smooth cut.

We are making all sorts of things on our lasers (we have two). We engrave wood and acrylic pens, and we also make two types of logos for furniture manufactures--one of PSA veneer and the other of 1/8" birch ply with tiny screw holes already cut into the material for attachment by brass screws.

I'll post some representative pictures, if you're interested, or you can check in the laser engraving forum here where there are lots and lots of pictures of projects.

Nancy (133 days)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-10-2007, 6:39 PM
Very nice 2nd bowl Nancy! You are getting there! Keep at it.

Dennis Peacock
08-10-2007, 9:27 PM
Dang Nancy.....that nice!!!!! My likey!! :D